Whats your typing speed?

I’ll start off: I use monkeytype and average around 85 WPM. Yesterday, I broke 100 with a score of 101 on 15 second.

What is your speed?

4 Likes

On average, around 130 WPM; peak is around 160 WPM in a 15 second window.

2 Likes

I used to think I could type fast, but then I started practicing will all ten and it turns out my tecnique is awful and my actual WPM is more like 40 - 50. Feels bad.

typing

4 Likes

My monkeytype scores:
english = 500000wpm
english1k = 2wpm

3 Likes

I average about 90 on just alphas, my quickest being around 108. Full sentences with punctuation I sit around 75. I’ve pretty much plateaued I think, been the same for a couple years 🤷

2 Likes

Took this right now, and I think this is about par for me (105–115).

I mostly do English quotes, like this, so I get punctuation, numbers, and capitalization. I keep Opposite Shift turned on and no backspacing. I almost always start making errors at the tail end as fatigue sets in :pensive:.

** I will add that I normally (outside of typing tests) type around ~80–90 because that’s a nice, leisurely pace and my accuracy is much higher. I rarely need to type at full speed.

2 Likes

Just breaking the 100wpm average mark recently!

3 Likes

Average for last year on monkey type was 98wpm. Usually get 100-113 when I tryhard. 125 is personal best on non-punctuation 60sec test.

3 Likes

Oh, average over a year is a much better measure. I’ll have to look at that in a few months.

2 Likes

I type about 65-75 wpm

2 Likes

My speed is set on slow.

3 Likes

On a good day:

This is the better side of how I do when I’m able to maintain my focus. Real-world and on-average, I’m probably closer to high 80’s - low 90’s.

Numbers and some symbols slow me down quite a bit, and as you might be able to see on the chart there, errors throw me for a loop and I take a moment to recover and get back in the flow. My most common error is an early space.

On typings.gg, I use the default setting with no punctuation, just a random string of generally simple words. When I first started using it some time in the past year or so, I was averaging in the 80’s by their measure (with 90-ish accuracy), and have improved that comfortably into the 110’s (with 100% accuracy), 130’s if I’m really on it.

I also started using monkeytype more recently, and that was a bit of a reality-check after not factoring punctuation, etc. into my WPM score. :sweat_smile: I love all the options the site has, especially the quote mode. While I appreciate the exercise aspect of random, un-connected words, I think typing quotes is a bit more useful to my own real-world use-cases for typing.

Considering that a.) I very nearly failed typing class in school and b.) I have nerve damage that affects both sensation and motor-control in my right hand, I’m pretty darn happy with cruising in the 80’s / 90’s these days. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The only way I know it’s the past year is because my account is almost exactly 1 year old now. ha! They do need a filter for year at some point.

3 Likes

If I push it on monkey type, I can get to 110 with 95% accuracy. More often I’m 100-105 on monkey type with 97-99% accuracy. Real world English (as opposed to programming) I probably type in the 90s.

I haven’t really actively tried to get my speed higher. My longest stint with monkey type was to adjust to my split ortholinear. I did 10-15 minutes every day for a couple weeks to pretty much fully adapt to the change.

I usually whip out the 50 random word test on Monkeytype when I want to get a feel for a new keyboard (or some new switches/keycaps). Arguably, none of these tests are that meaningful because I can generally type faster than I can think of things to type :laughing:

That said, my current PR for 50 random words is 158 WPM

3 Likes

I’m dyslexic… so full of errors. lol

4 Likes

On average I type at 140wpm on Monkeytype just alphas. On a good run I hit 150.
Quote test I get a bit over 100wpm.

5 Likes

I average about 75 but I hit my personal best yesterday of 98. I’m trying so hard to average like 100 :joy:

3 Likes

Pretty much me :smile:

maybe we should set the ‘rules’ of the game so we have a common reference.
I would say 60 seconds on monkeytype only.

5 Likes