Whats your typing speed?

Anywhere from 120-140 WPM depending on the language and length used in Monkeytype, but nowadays I nearly exclusively use English 1K words because I’m bored of English which has too little variety. I can burst up to 145ish wpm at 25 words/15s. (I actually just did this one while writing this comment for fun)

I rest my hands at home row using F/J as the index pointers, and consistently use 8 fingers while typing in Monkeytype when not using punctuation (exceptions are left thumb and right pinky, I right thumb spacebar). Keys for me are consistently reading 1 or two words ahead of my typing, making sure that I type in a little bit of a rhythm as well instead of doing staccato-like bursts. Improvement really only comes through repetition and consistency in trying to improve your typing speed floor: bursting speeds aren’t really something you can consciously control.

For reference, switches are Durock Medium Tactile with TX 62g Long springs on ePBT 9009.

2 Likes

60 or 70 words per minute, I’m pretty slow but I do not type long text in general.

4 Likes

106wpm 100% accuracy - 50 words, English 1K

82wpm 100% accuracy - 50 words, English 1K, punctuation, fail on accuracy below 97%, strict space on and opposing shift mode on.

I have just started working on getting faster. I want to reach 150wpm with high accuracy, difficult word lists and punctuation.

1 Like

burst mode is fun

2 Likes

@Walkerstop this still makes me chuckle

3 Likes

Broke my record yesterday, just horrible accuracy :sweat_smile:
Screenshot 2022-04-25 9.59.07 AM

2 Likes

Woo!

It’s from quote mode so I don’t really “count” it as “official” (some quotes are obviously easier to type quickly than others) - but it’s still a personal best in general, and definitely as far as typing quotes goes. The consistency is the part I’m happiest about here.

My average wpm on Monkeytype is between 100 and 120, with an average accuracy around 98% and an average consistency between 65% and 75% - every now and then I really get into the flow and get 85% like I did here. :stuck_out_tongue: Definitely my weakest element.

4 Likes

What board/switches was this done with? Most of my PRs have come from fresh builds with med-high tactile switches haha

2 Likes

Good question! Here’s the setup:

• KBD67L w/ R1 polycarb plate & R2 bluetooth PCB

• TTC Silent Bluish White switches

• C3 Equalz V3 stabs, modded with included Soulmate dampening kit

• GMK caps

I’d definitely put Silent Bluish Whites in that category, and I’d also say the same - most of my fastest speeds are from switches with some kind of very clear feedback.

Mostly med-high tactile switches like these, Holy-whatevers, etc. - but also with especially crisp clickies like Box Whites. Even though BWs don’t actually have a very strong tactile event at all, the crispness of the feedback does the trick. I can hear it clearly, and even if I couldn’t - I can feel it clearly - despite the low intensity, the “signal” is clean.

2 Likes

Thought that felt good… Two PB’s in two days - I’m on a roll or something.

Typed on a Mojo68 with TTC Matrix-01 Tactiles & MCR profile caps; basically the non-silent version of the switches from my last one, and with a pretty similar cap profile. Board is stock aside from the TTCs and a squirt or two of grease in the stabs.

The MCR (Melgeek Cherry Redux?) profile seems like a great one for typing so far. It’s plenty familiar having similar angles to Cherry, but something about it feels extra smooth for me while I’m typing on the keys. For lack of better or more detailed words at the moment, the keys have a good shape for fast typing.

Yes - I have theme-ADD. Also the regular kind.

5 Likes

New PB for words 50 babby-english

New PB on a budget keeb with OEM caps that I’ve got maybe two or three hours behind. Funny how some of my best scores are when I’m not even really trying. :stuck_out_tongue:

The real reason I post this, though, is to put a pin in the idea that OEM is actually a good profile for typing, and that it’s so prolific for good reason. It’s something I’d like to discuss in more detail, but for now I’ll just say I wouldn’t mind Cherry’s taller, wider cousin getting a little more love.

4 Likes

Screenshot 2022-06-25 11.00.06 AM

New record in 30s!

I did this on my VE.A, I can barely do 150 on a standard keyboard. I also type Dvorak, so it’s much easier to consistently do 140-150 than with QWERTY, where I could only do 150 in 5 second tests if the words were easy.

Cherry profile caps are much easier to type fast on than OEM and SA. SA is the hardest, since your fingers have to move much more, and OEM is just a bit too tall.

I also tend to type faster with light tactiles. I used 62g Ergo Clears here, which are about the perfect weighting for my typing style.

5 Likes

When I’m bored at work I’ll do a few typing tests. Now that I use my Pro2 at work it brings me such joy.

3 Likes

:partying_face:

Wasn’t even trying. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m at work, babysitting a digital printing machine and essentially using it as a standing desk; typing on a Portico68 BL with MTNU keycaps, NuPhy Night Breeze switches, and a custom-cut birchwood plate. I’m still pretty fresh on MTNU, but I have to hand it to matt3o, he’s really designed a beautiful and intuitive profile here.

2 Likes

these were all set on either my school laptop or my hhkb but i dont remember which is which

For all the time I spend thinking about and working on keyboards, you’d think I’d have a similar drive to type properly, but nope, not even close. About 60 on Monkeytype word soup, about 70 if there’s actual language to copy, and about 80 if I’m on a roll composing or working from memory. Typing remains a conscious effort and an exercise in hand-eye coordination for me.

i do touch type, but i dont type with proper finger placement at all and i rarely use the homing keys. i type with 6 fingers and if i can do it anyone can lol

Typically hover around 130s - 140s, but hit a personal best of 155 the other day. Could not hit that number again for this run.

Slightly better runs than what I managed to post last night. Took about a year of using Kinesis Advantage to build speed back to where it was with more traditional keyboards.

I feel like the next step for me is to use more of my ring finger. I’m just too lazy to fix my touch typing :frowning: any tips would be appreciated