Another week, another new keycap profile

Melgeek announced their new, Cherry-like “MCR” profile. Could be fun. It is only .4mm taller than Cherry and has a wider surface.

Coming in double shot ABS first, before PBT. Launching by September.

No colorway details. Could be good!

15 Likes

Exciting! Anything to an alternative of GMK is very welcome.

6 Likes

colorway… no details yet huh… hmm… BoW or WoB or Dolch would be good :blush:

looking forward to this. :smiley:

3 Likes

Great more options. :smiley:

2 Likes

Looks similar to DCS? It would be fun to try this profile out.

2 Likes

There’s a bit of sphericalness to those tops. Pretty freaking cool.

melgeek

4 Likes

Yeah, they remind me quite a bit of what I’m still working on. A low-mid spherical profile. Some of you may remember my early stages here. Can’t show the progress just yet.

Anyway, the more the better.

1 Like

This looks very promising

1 Like

This looks very interesting.
Thanks for sharing it.

1 Like

If these are compatible with north facing switches, that’d be awesome.

1 Like

Melgeek just posted some pictures on their discord. I don’t have high hopes tbh but am curious to see what their kitting looks like.

5 Likes

The profile looks super interesting. I wish everyone’s eyes weren’t trained for Cherry fonts, which I expect to see on a set like this. The font would take some getting used to.

6 Likes

I see “MCR” and I think My Chemical Romance…

I wonder what MCR stands for. Keycaps look alright I guess :thinking:

4 Likes

Might be better in the ‘things that make us go hmm’ thread but I felt because the standout feature here is the keycap profile that it would fit in this thread. Kinda looks like a modified version of the typewriter style keycaps to me.

3 Likes

My kid would love that :smile_cat:

1 Like

Melgeek launched their group buy today. A very interesting profile - the font, which they highlight as a differentiator, is bound to generate strong feelings.

https://www.melgeek.com/collections/keycaps-1/products/gb-melgeek-mcr-horseman-abs-doubleshot-custom-keycap-set-for-mecahanical-keyboard-melgeek-com

4 Likes

“MCR” reminds me of “MRC”, which is short for “metering roller cleaner” - an extremely caustic solvent used for industrial and medical cleanup. It has a few names but the one I know comes from the printing industry, where it is used to dissolve ink on printing press rollers.

We used to use “industrial” markers that were impervious to basic household solvents and cleaners - a normal permanent marker can be wiped right off with rubbing alcohol, but not these ones. MRC wipes it out as if it were dry-erase.

Basically, don’t touch it - and be careful about taking deep breaths too close to the container.

This has been your daily deadeye chicken-walk, brought to you by the morning cup of coffee.

On-topic, I still want to try MG, and I’m curious about this MCR, too. I used to prefer OEM for being a bit more wide than Cherry, but have really come to prefer Cherry’s height - seems like this might be a great mix.

“MIX” is what their MDA profile was called at first. I love how it looks but I can’t type fast on it.

3 Likes

Just noticed the SAL profile from Akko. SAL is short for SA-Leveled.

3 Likes

sheeesh… that’s a lot to keep up with. Wouldn’t that be quite similar to Filco SA sets?

2 Likes

It would appear so!