Which set of caps are you cancelling first?

same, I bought DSA Magic girl (the dark core cause i like purple) and I just sold it to a friend cause i cant deal with the profile

1 Like

Sculpt really depends on the height and angle of the board for me. I actually like DSA better than any other profile, but it usually sounds terrible. :frowning: Also, there really are so few options for nice colorways in DSA

I can’t stand typing on XDA but for some reason I don’t mind G20.

2 Likes

This depends a lot on the colour.

I have a pale yellow / dark brown set (penumbra solarized maybe?) which definitely has the billiard ball look in real life. And a Filco dark brown set is also nice. They have more rounded edges than e.g. maxkey which helps the whole billiard ball impression.

But I also have a nuclear data set which manages to look very meh. Nothing like the beautiful glossy look of photos.

Definitely the filco & nuclear data have 1 key (right shift maybe? I’d have to get a set out and check) which is annoyingly semi-gloss. Every time I use these sets I find myself searching google for how to polish a keycap.

2 Likes

I totally forgot about that set being Signature Plastics, and I totally agree - it has that rich look to it that I was hoping 1965 and Chocolatier would have, and it was an in-stock item that cost like half as much! They do still have the hazy shift keys though.

Ah, my favourite profile being so attacked here! :joy:

So, in reading this thread we’re saying which sets would you “cancel”, mine would be the first group buy I joined: GMK Plum. Just not at all what the renders looked like. It left a bad taste in my mouth but I’m glad I stuck with the hobby cause I think all of the rest of the sets I joined matched expectations.

4 Likes

Finally got inspired by this thread to do something about the semi-gloss SA SP shift keys.

A quick search of Lego forums turned up a recommendation for Meguiar’s PlastX (used to fix milky acrylic over car headlights).

Only took a couple of minutes of polishing, and now the shift keys have the same glossy finish as the other keys. I’m totally over the moon!

8 Likes

I just bought an SA set, so it hurts me to agree to this.

Tbh SA caps are pretty nice only in specific keyboards. Either way Topre Hipro is much superior in every possible way.

3 Likes

I own three sets of Hipro caps now. I have to say that this was the first sculpt that I tried where I actually felt like the sculpt got in the way of typing. I simply cannot type as fast or accurate on Hipro.

What I’m seeing in this thread is that it’s good we have so many options. There truly is no universal fit when it comes to keycaps.

3 Likes

Plum was the first one that came to my mind too, just did not look good irl. The other one for me would be violet tendencies and it’s unreadable mods

You’ve got it backwards full sculpted SA sucks to type on imo but uniform R3 is actually pretty nice

2 Likes

What SA set are these keys?

It needs the right keeb

2 Likes

Filco Double Shot keycaps.
They’re very dark brown, and semi-sculpted (223333).
If you can live without any extra keys then they’re a very cheap way of getting SP SA keycaps.

I can’t see anywhere still selling the ANSI set, but keyboardco has UK/DE/SE ISO, e.g.:-

The other colour schemes are either ugly, or sold out everywhere:-
https://www.diatec.co.jp/en/list.php?s[]=110:1006:10036

2 Likes

Hey neat - are those actual nixie tubes on that clock?

I believe it is, it’s not my keeb but a fellow swede.

Sorrz for leading off topic but. Do I spy logitech speakers? Z21? To original ones from the mid 2000s? Not the newer white from 2011 with the crappy sound? I love those. I still have one 2.1 set at my parents house. :smiley:
God, I’d never though about getting nostalgic about cheap ass, mass produced, chinese plastic stuff from 17 years ago.

As I said, not mine. But it shure looks like Logitech.

1 Like

XDA is indeed horrible, on every single keyboard.

DSA is only comfortable on ergo keyboards with curved columns (or Dactyl-styled).

SA R3 is just taller DSA. Uniform profile and massively uncomfortable, on any keyboard.

2 Likes

The relationship between how I feel about DSA and XDA is interesting.

DSA is like the “actual 80s” in terms of looking back at it. It’s like enjoying Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, U2, AC/DC, QUEEN, KISS, Whitesnake, etc etc etc.

XDA looks at DSA with jealousy and to me feels like all of these shows that keep trying to “call back to the 80s” with the “REMEMBER THIIIISSSSSS?”. It’s like it’s trying too hard to remind us of things we can still enjoy.

I know this is a weird way to feel about keycaps lol.

I don’t think I’ve seen an XDA set and thought, “yeah, XDA was a better choice than DSA”

Edit: Yes I know they are different profiles with slightly different keycap feels, but they’re in the same territory for me.

5 Likes

I dont find either comfortable but i really do like XDA Canvas.

That’s the only XDA or DSA set i like.

That said, for me its the opposite - i prefer the look/profile of XDA over DSA (DSA’s taper is too much for me, looks too ‘pointy’).

Kind of like MT3 and SA - i prefer the look (and feel) of MT3 over SA. MT3 probably looks more modern, kind of like XDA vs DSA. I love vintage looking keebs but i guess maybe not super duper vintage haha.

3 Likes