WhiteFox/NightFox Appreciation Thread

Hey,

Anybody looking for additional screws for the case because they stripped their originals, I may have found something to help out here. Quick disclaimer: I’d hold off on buying these yourself until I come back here to post if they do in fact fit properly.

I referenced this reddit post that Overkill posted in from about two years back: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/54rxxt/whitefox_screws_info/

Based on the recommendation in that thread I ordered these: https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-M2-0-40-x-6mm-6DU16

Bonus is that these screws are black which should look really cool with what I’m hoping to do with the next White Fox I order (white cerakote or powder coat) and hopefully the GMK Nine set that is in Interest check here.

Update: Got the screw mentioned above in the mail yesterday. They are black, which is what I wanted.

They look to be a little longer than the stock screws, but I can’t confirm fit yet because they require a 1.3mm hex driver that I don’t have. I ordered that off Amazon, and I’ll report back after I can fully tighten the screws into the case to see if they fit flush and if they strip at all (my original problem with the whitefox screws).

Now I can confirm that the screws I purchased from this link: https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-M2-0-40-x-6mm-6DU16 worked perfectly in my case.

By the way, this was the Hex Driver I bought off Amazon to tighten down the 1.3mm hex key screws: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O5EFT8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . So far, it’s an excellent little tool and didn’t strip when tightening, which was what I was scared of with sizes as small as 1.3mm.

They are black, so it gives a different vibe than the original silver screws. That means they’ll be a good accent when I build the white cerakoted or powder coated “ZenFox”

Images of the screws in case:

1 Like

It’s kind of crazy how much my tastes have changed since getting into this hobby. The whitefox was one of the first keyboards I saw that really caught my eye as the board I wanted to get. I got into keyboards well after the first sale with Massdrop and so I jumped at the kickstarter when I saw it was announced. At this point I prefer the higher profile designs and 65% isn’t my favorite layout aesthetically. I think as an enthusiast this board left me really disappointed. Out of convenience I got mine already assembled with Hako Trues and that is probably my biggest mistake. I hate these switches. Granted I used this keyboard at work since it was pretty quiet and that helped me to type without bottoming out all the time and that has transferred over to my other keyboards. While the hako trues kept me typing silently (at least, for a while, they click now) for the most part - the spacebar and other mod keys with stabs sound atrocious and reverberate with the keyboard a lot too.

The sad part about this is that while this board is in good condition and is relatively new, I consider it as somewhat of a fixer-upper project already. The form factor is decent enough and so is the overall build quality. I’ve never ventured into desoldering an entire board to replace the switches and stabs, so that is a bit daunting but it sounds like it will be a learning experience - and honestly I think having bought this board as a fledgling enthusiast has taught me a lot about the finer points of how to judge a keyboard’s qualities.

1 Like

WhiteFox was the first “WOW” board for me back when it was on Massdrop with the costar stabilizers. Seeing the Zealios in the WhiteFox made my jaw drop, and it’s been one of my holy grail boards since then. Still need to build one with V2 Zealios.

Yeah, the Hako trues disappointed me when they started developing the clicking, but to really get the most out of this board, I do a few mods everytime.

The WhiteFox and NightFox somehow has stayed as one of my top 3 favorite boards, if not my favorite board through the years, so I’m definitely biased. Only other ones that compete with it for me are the Canoe and Tina-C.

1 Like

Really liking those screws. Some red ones would be a cool accent as well.

1 Like

It’d be cool to find some other alternate colors. Since we know the exact specs of the screw size, it’d just be a matter of finding a manufacturer who has a color variety at that size.

You could also do some blue ones to match the stock keycap color way

NightFox with the black screws.

1 Like

That would look pretty good, sweet ideal! The only issue I could see with it is the screws would have to painted which always get damaged/chipped when installing them. Or they would have to be anodized alum. which would be expensive & strip very easily. Tempted to look into it, but I may be selling my Nightfox soon. I really would prefer not to, but I gotta come up with some extra loot in the next week & it is one of my lesser used boards lately. :cry:

PSA: In case anyone is on the fence about getting a fox. This was in the latest email from Kono Store announcing the latest batch of them coming in.

This may be the final run of classic 'Foxes, as microcontroller shortages are affecting the model, so pick one up while you still can.

2 Likes

It being low profile is the ONLY thing stopping me from picking one up.

I’d like to see the next iteration be a highpro board… Tallfox, perhaps?

2 Likes

Hmmmm that can spark my interest for sure

This would draw me into buying a Nightfox again for sure. I’ve always prefered high pro over low pro cases.

I still like low profile boards. They have a unique sound signature. They’re just not in “fashion” anymore. But hey, neither are beamsprings. Just have to wait a while!

2 Likes

LOL, so true! Don’t get me wrong I like low profile as well (RedScarfII+ ver.C is my daily driver right now), I just prefer high profile. I do agree that they both have their own unique sound signature, even when using the same switches. So I definitely think low profile cases have their place, even if it is now considered “out of fashion”! :upside_down_face:

With you here. I feel like I’m in the minority that really like low profile boards. Been thinking about getting some sandwich style 60s to round out the collection.

Also, little treat for today. Finally got the “Zenfox” built. It’s waiting on GMK Nines to be complete.

• Snow white cerakote
  • Sorbothane to help with acoustics.
  • NovelKeys Cream switches spring swapped to 72g sprits.
  • Clipped, lubed, band-aid modded stabs (upgraded to use stabs from NovelKeys instead of the ones that came with the board because they’re kinda trash.)
  • black screws for the case.

2 Likes

Very nice!! I was just talking about doing this as well - did the cerakote affect the fit of the plate with the case at all?

It didn’t do anything to negatively impact fitment of the plate, stabizers or switches. It essentially felt exactly the same as building a stock white Fox/nightfox

1 Like