Another week, another new keycap profile

I made some photos with my phone but the quality is unacceptable. I’ll wait for some natural light and do it again with more appropriate gear tomorrow.

2 Likes

I’m still not satisfied with the photos but posted a gallery of the doubleshot MDA “This Is Plastic” caps – with a legend beefiness comparison. :smiley:

5 Likes

These are some CFX caps from Chosfox. Similar to MBK but these are square 16.5x16.5mm, inspired by some Apple caps + DSA sphericalness + SA wall. More photos and in-depth comparison probably tomorrow.

2 Likes

Okay! Comparing XVX to CXA directly…

They have some remarkable similarities…

…but are indeed not the same.

Neat.

Proving myself wrong aside, it is weird just how similar-but-not-the-same these are.

Definitely not the same tooling at all - but very similar features.

They seem like decent enough caps at first glance - especially given the very low price.

9 Likes

Apparently Tai-Hao’s BOBO profile came out late 2021; stumbled on them while trying to figure out if there’s any connection between Tai-Hao and Tera, the company Drop uses to manufacture DCX.

2 Likes

I just received a set of grey/blue xvx. They’re way, way better quality than I’d expected for $15, and I much prefer the shape & sculpt to mda/osa etc. I was very tempted to grab more sets, except I’m not keen on the other colours.

3 Likes

Oooh I like the Orange on Black one… :star_struck:

1 Like

I am sure many of you have seen the new KDA profile keycaps pop up on Aliexpress. They are impressive for the price. Thick PBT with quality dye sub work (these colors pop more than any dye sub work I’ve seen before).

The profile looks like a Cherry/DSS spherical hybrid. It has a nice, low R3 like Cherry and DCS.

7 Likes

I love the Apple in the background.

3 Likes

Aliexpress now has SDA profile popping up. Looks like an MDA clone.

3 Likes

Like MDA if it went through a rock tumbler for a little while. :stuck_out_tongue:

I kinda like that the dysub graphics are right-reading when the spacebar is flipped. Flipmode is indeed the greatest.

1 Like

EMA profile - looks to be between classic SP SA and MelGeek’s MDA, leaning towards the latter. Double-shot PBT with 1.5mm wall thickness, produced by IDOBAO.

Quote from the IC Page:

Compared with SA profile to reduced the height by 3.5MM and increased the face of keys by 16.6%;
compared with MT3 profile to reduced the height by 2.5MM and increased the face of keys by 25%;
compared with ASA profile to reduced the height by 1.5MM and increased the face of keys by 14.8%,
compared with MDA profile to increase the height by 1.5MM and reduced the face of keys by 5%.

I think there are plenty of SA alternatives out there these days, but I can’t think of many off-hand with a font quite like that on them. Reminds me just a hair of Apple’s condensed italic legends, but positioned like traditional spherical legends in the center.

3 Likes

We have gone from only a few options to never ending options in only a few years! Now if all these new profiles only had comprehensive kitting :thinking:

3 Likes

Very nice. Thanks for sharing this.
The fillet profile looks very, very similar to MT3.

1 Like

Those EMA keycaps are on Drop now, and $15 cheaper per set than on IDOBAO’s own site during the pre-order - that’s $30 for a 142-key doubleshot PBT set:

Seems pretty darn reasonable. :man_shrugging: Ships mid-February.

3 Likes

I’m sure this is probably a goof but interesting nonetheless that they have these categorized under the MT3 profile filter. And would it kill them to include a kitting picture?

1 Like

Also, I would assume “plain white” means you get an all black on white set. Likewise with “jet black” being an all white on black. But the photos seems to suggest that you get white alphas with black mods? The drop product page needs some work for sure.

1 Like

I do a double-take those rare occasions when I see a Dorp product page with an accurate and informative description. :stuck_out_tongue:

From the IC page / IDOBAO page, I do think these are mixed kits - that is, white alphas black mods and visa-versa. The naming convention is… counterintuitive.

Here’s a kit picture from IDOBAO’s site:

If you’re a 61 / 64 key user, they sell a 60% ABS / polycarb version of the set that is all-black / all-white, and it’s on sale for $25 on IDOBAO’s site:

https://idobao.net/collections/ema-profile/products/idobao-ema-classic-black-white-two-tone-injection-keycaps

Edit; another comparison image from IDOBAO:

2 Likes

I did a first impressions write-up on those EMA profile caps, mostly consisting of comparison photos with a few other ramblings beforehand.

4 Likes

Nice! Will be keen to hear what you think of them after a little while. Especially in comparison to XVX and XDA (sound and feel).

XVX is currently my favourite, mostly because I can’t seem to find an XDA set that I like looking at :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but perhaps I should look at these or MDA…

2 Likes