Coronavirus Vaccination!

Getting my second on Sunday. So psyched to actually be able to go out in public again soon and remember why I used to not go out in public by choice.

6 Likes

we havenā€™t gone out much, but one thing that was crazy to me is that 2 days ago I went to the store and likeā€¦ shopped. I walked through the aisles and picked stuff up off the shelf that we needed. I do the shopping in our household. I havenā€™t shopped for groceries or household items like that in over a year. Iā€™ve been doing pickup from our local grocery and Target and delivery from Whole Foods for so long now. that it felt strange to be shopping in person. I was like, ā€œhey, this is kinda neat. I can see right here that itā€™s in stock.ā€ lol

4 Likes

I just got my second shot today (Moderna). My wife already has had both as well. We havenā€™t been in a restaurant for over a year, so thatā€™s at the top of our celebratory list in a few weeks. In particular, a killer Dim Sum joint in Cleveland, aka The Land (packed to the rafters every weekend in the beforetime).

4 Likes

Iā€™ve read that you wonā€™t reach full protection until two weeks after your second or final dose, assuming your body is producing antibodies. Vast majority of people do but, like GMK keysets, it takes time to produce them. :wink:

9 Likes

Had my second Moderna shot on Wednesday, was all prepared for tough side effects yesterday, but all I had was brain fog - aka feeling kinda drunk much of the day. Now really looking forward to walking into a cafe in a couple weeks.

2 Likes

My wife and I are fully vaccinated (and Iā€™m now into my 2 weeks after). Right before my second shot I had started double masking just so I didnā€™t get it right before getting my last shot. I still go to double mask before going into the grocery store only to remember, ā€œHey, Iā€™m good.ā€ (and only put a single mask on). It will be a little while before we arenā€™t masking, but weā€™re in a good start after so long.

I heard someone ask ā€œWhat things will you still do or habits you might keep once weā€™re back to normal?ā€ The best answer I heard was ā€œStay at home or wear a mask when Iā€™m feeling under the weather.ā€ Masks will be sort of familiar and acceptable even when we arenā€™t doing it for COVID.

8 Likes

I plan to continue wearing mask when I go out after getting fully vaccinated. At the very least, as reminder to people who see me wearing mask that itā€™s not over yet.

11 Likes

From what Iā€™ve heard from a few healthcare providers (and from anecdotal evidence from 6+ cases) hydrating makes a big difference. My MiL pretty much only drinks coffee and sodas, and she had it pretty bad the day after. My FiL got his on the same day, drinks water all the time, and had no side effects.

My second shot of Moderna is on the 20th of May, so hopefully that holds true.

2 Likes

I hope so. I was in the market the other day, and everyone was wearing a mask and socially distancing except for this one doof. I stayed far away from himā€¦

My sis is a nurse and aparently her hospital put me on a vaccination list cause she has constant contact with me. They vaccinate to keep their teams safe so me being a daily contact might get me vaccinated this year

4 Likes

I drank a ton of water days before and after my second shot this past Thursday for this very reason, and I still got flu like symptoms. I started to feel normal today though. Hard to say if it would have been worse or just the same without the water. I would guess being actually dehydrated, however, would make you feel much worse.

1 Like

May it become second nature like seatbelts while driving. :pray:t4:

Has anyoneā€™s workplace discussed making the COVID vaccine a condition of their employment/return to the workplace? Or are most of you in industries with permanent/generous WFH so this is not an issue?

1 Like

Got second Pfizer dose last Friday. Got sort of sick about 24 hours later. Weird body ache feeling but was able to go about my day. Then today feeling totally fine :+1:

4 Likes

I got my first moderna friday and it beat the shit out of me, felt like i had the flu really bad and hardly left the couch all weekend, also arm was hella sore, finally feeling mostly better this morning

6 Likes

Thatā€™s how it is for Korean people and likely other countries around the world too.

Itā€™s common practice to mask up if you have a contagious sickness like the common cold or the flu.

3 Likes

Right? Ideally it wouldnā€™t be a political statement, just best practice for public health.

3 Likes

Yup. Korean culture donā€™t take kindly to people who mix their politics or religion with our health.

3 Likes

Sonofaā€¦ too bad thereā€™s no Krispy Kreme where I am in Maine. If I were back in Rochester Iā€™d be all over this.

1 Like

Got my second one on Sunday. I had no symptoms whatsoever, but my dog got diarrhea. They really should warn you about that.

7 Likes

Got mine a while back (Moderna). The first shot left me tired and with a soar arm and the second shot kicked my ass. I was tired, full body soar (worse at the injection site), and had chills.

6 Likes