Funky Frankenswitches

These are my favorites! I also got them from slowshi.
Edit: If you put the dragon fruit bottom on these they look great and have even shorter travel.

1 Like

Aren’t they great? Unusually distinctive for a linear.

On that note - if you like Deadpools, you may also enjoy Gateron’s newest design, the Caps switches. They have a more traditional travel distance as opposed to super-short, but have some of the acoustic and tactile qualities (as in finger feels, not the switch type) that I enjoy about the aforementioned frankenswitch;

• a lovely “tak tak” sound in the middle frequency range, on the deeper side
  • a crisp botom-out that isn’t harsh; cushioned only by fairly soft plastic

Caps and Deadpools are just about neck-and-neck for me in terms of how much I enjoy them, and each has a quality or two I prefer over the other - but all else equal (or at least roughly equivalent), Caps are quite a bit cheaper than KS-3’s, Bobas, and Pro Burgundies all together!

1 Like

I was thinking about trying something like this the other night. I love the thocky-ness of Koala housings, but want something with lighter tactility. I have heard Jades are a good clone of Zeal V1s.

I have some spare parts lying around to make one switch.

1 Like

On your suggestion I got some of these Milky Caps and put them on a gasket modded 60% board I had. Really like the results. I think the most unique thing to me is the satisfying scratchyness. It is more of a velvety scratchyness. They seem well built and all the right feel and sound.

here is my sound test with terrible typing speed.
httpx://imgur.com/a/PKh1gNE

also here are a couple of sound tests for the slowshi Deadpools in different boards.

httpx://imgur.com/a/PQxwhix
httpx://imgur.com/a/MMXPiim

4 Likes

Getting extra funky this evening. I’ve found a handful of apparently viable, even enjoyable combos - but one in particular has me fairly excited. I’m putting together a full board now for a detailed post. Cheers!

6 Likes

Holy Dragon

• Dragon Fruit housing & spring
  • Input Club Halo stem
  • Thin films & spring lubing recommended
  • Extra-short travel :pinching_hand:
  • Crisp top-bump :sparkles:
  • Light but loud :boom:

Smooth, short, and snappy. Lots of thock for little effort.

Mounted in a GK61 with cheap foam beneath the PCB, modded GMK stabs, and ABS MT3 keycaps.

I used thin polycarb Kebo films (TX seemed a little too thick), and donut-dipped the springs in 3204 - though in retrospect it might have been better to just bag-lube them in an oil like 105.

Edit: If you’re interested in doing a build with these, I recommend you check out this post about resolving teeter-totter on stabilized keys with short travel switches by @Walkerstop - it will save you some headache when it comes to the stabs.

Comparisons:

VS:

• Stock Dragon Fruit: sharper & higher bump, snappier bottom-out

• Ink Kangaroo (NK): pretty similar, but lighter bump & more smooth

• Holy Panda: lighter bump, more smooth / clean operation

• Heisenberg: lighter bump, less harsh, but nearly as clacky

• Holy Boba: lighter bump, bottom-out more crisp / less softened

• Lilac Tea: higher & heavier bump, a bit more harsh

• Holy Dragons have shorter travel than all of these.

Flavor-text:

As much as I’m trying to get away from Holy-whatevers, and as obvious as it is to put Halo stems into every new housing, I really couldn’t not share this one.

They’ve got a great, thocky sound and enjoy above-average smoothness even with just leftover factory lube. (Lubing the spring is kind of a must, though - unless you enjoy light metallic rattle.) Holy Dragons have a very short travel, even when compared to most other switches using Halo stems. Actuation lines-up well with tactility despite the short throw.

Even though the tactility of this switch is very affirmative, actuation only requires a light touch. It’s basically impossible not to bottom-out with these, but it’s pretty mild thanks to that extra-short travel.

As a funny aside, I wanted to get a bit more creative with the name on this one, and thought to look up the proper name of the mythological Chinese celestial dragon kings. I thought that might be more fun than the obvious “Holy X” Halo stem naming convention. Well…

The linguistic phenomena of false friends being a thing, I wasn’t about to call these Lóng Wáng.

7 Likes

How’bout Halo Fruit

1 Like

Dammit. That’s nice. Dude. Seriously. I have so many new options for switches. Thank you!

What would be the lightest spring weight you’d recommend for the Ink Kangaroo’s or even the Heisenbergs? In your opinion, would the Giant 62g spring’s extra preload help with key return where a normal 62g spring might not?

2 Likes

This is basically what I do for fun. Very good questions!

The lightest I have at the moment are 52g Catweewee springs from TX Keyboards - and they work just fine in both Kangaroos and Heisenbergs. (I honestly didn’t expect them to work with the 'roos, but not even a hit of catch. Noice.)

I haven’t tried the Giants yet, but I’m going to say “very probably”.

I’ve been experimenting with the Kangaroo stems in other housings, and while they don’t have any return issues in their own, they do in some others.

Based on your question, I tried the extra-long 'roo spring in place of the ones normally paired with the housing I’m experimenting with, and that cleared-up the minor return issue with the combo. Hey, thanks! This frankenswitch is now viable and will be the next one I post about.

3 Likes

Alright. You guys get a two-fer this evening - and two more Dragon Fruit frankens before I move on to something else for a bit.

PB & J

• Dragon Fruit housing
  • Gazzew U4T stem
  • Spring is down to preference
  • Very clacky :boom:
  • Crazy short travel :pinching_hand:
  • Still works normally w/ synced bump :+1:

Think of this as a high-tactility speed switch.

Flavor-text:

Kind of like the Holy Dragon, but “more” when it comes to their defining features.

I don’t have the means to measure it, but this switch has a very short travel for a full-sized mx-compatible; easily the shortest I’ve used. The bump remains synced with actuation despite the short throw, though this does make it all but impossible not to bottom-out.

This snappy snack is even more clacky and short-throw than its Halo-stemmed cousin, making this one of the more unique frankenswitches I’ve tried.

Credit goes to @patcoll for suggesting this!

Bonus switch!

Raspberry Limeade

• Dragon Fruit housing
  • Gateron Ink Kangaroo stem & spring
  • Drown that spring in lube 'cause she rattles
  • Sharp, crisp, & short top-bump
  • Might look more dragon-fruity than the original

Mostly about aesthetics, this crisp tactile feels much like the stem & spring donor - though some sacrifice is made for the looks.

Flavor-text:

The original switch might look a bit like a dragon fruit sliced open, but this switch looks more like one from the outside. I mostly wanted to include it here for that reason, and I haven’t done a purely “just for fun” switch in a while.

Credit goes to @ajoflo for suggesting a longer spring might help overcome bump-hitch, which this switch definitely suffered from when using the Dragon Fruit spring.

9 Likes

Jade Dragon

• Dragon Fruit bottom housing
  • Dragon Fruit spring
  • Drop Everglide Dark Jade Black top and stem.
  • Lubed and Filmed

Feels like all the other previously mentioned super short travel super tactile.

Edit: After using these for a while I’m not sure I love these compared to the Holy Koala (Holy T1), they are a bit wobbly at the bottom.

8 Likes

Kiwish

• Kiwi housing
  • TTC Bluish White Stem and Spring
  • Least wobble of all the switches I have
  • Super stable all the way to the bottom
  • No pre bump travel

Really nice if you like stable tactile switches.

11 Likes

Any suggestion for a frankenswitch that would have deep thock that’s like ink black but with similar tactility as kiwi or U4T and same bottom-out force of 67g but a lighter start?

2 Likes

Good question!

You might try putting a ThicThock MP spring in a U4T / Holy Boba.

If it’s still too heavy up-front with the bump, you might try Linear Boba (pink) or Black / Red / Yellow Ink housings. (The leaves will make for a lighter bump.)

1 Like

The lighter start would likely accentuate the tactility of the stem. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for

3 Likes

I would say is having a very small pre-travel or making the against force getting stronger over a longer period of time

I have just done some testing with U4T stem and ink housing. It has the deepest sound I ever heard of. Deeper than cherry blacks. But the tactility is not strong enough. I am wondering would changing the leaf be possible? :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t have Blue Inks to test with but I believe those have the more tactile leaf so perhaps that’s what you’re looking for

3 Likes

I will need to get some sample switch for testing then

1 Like

I really want to try this now, but cant seem to find U4T’s shipping from CONUS. Are these obtained directly from heroinebob?

1 Like

I got my U4Ts from 3DKeebs.com

3 Likes