Funky Frankenswitches

Any idea what their function is?

Absolutely no idea.

1 Like

I think itā€™s to do with leftovers from injection molding. Why every single god-damned clickjacket in the world has them, thatā€™s a good question.

2 Likes

Idk what to call it but Iā€™ve really been enjoying this linear switch I whipped up:

Top Housing: Gateron Milky Top (POM)
Bottom Housing: JWK Giant (Nylon)
Stem: NK_Cream (POM)
Films: Deskeys
Lube: 205g0 on Rails, Gazzew Light Blend on Springs
Springs: 2x Long, 58g springs

Up there with similar JWK linearā€™s in terms of smoothness

Nice clackiness from the Cream stems

Minor wobble, mostly E/W

Really nice top-out sound thats slightly more muted than most PC tops

These are currently my favorite linears!

5 Likes

Has anyone tried Cream stem with (new) Hyperglide Cherry Black ? Iā€™m wondering if new Cherry housing has any good/improvement experience for a frankenswitches

Cherry blackā€™s signature sound comes from two bottom edges of the stem striking bottom of the housing rails. With Cream stem, I think itā€™s longer tip will strike the housing before that and will likely make a higher pitched sound, taking away what most people like about the switch.

While tinkering with using Panda housing to make Slapstick (slightly more tactile thx to stronger contact leaf), I was reminded of how BSUN and Panda housings are more brittle than others. Itā€™s a weakness only relevant to modders like me but that I got me experimenting with some of the most durable housings I have: Cherry housings.

Turns out Halo stem+Cherry housings feel and sound better than I expected, even the transparent Cherry brown housings I had. Tactility loss is not much nor missed since Iā€™m now into linears.

2 Likes

@Deadeye, were these the tops that you used with your U4 housings and Moyu stems?

https://3dkeebs.com/collections/switches/products/gazzew-x-outemu-clear-switch-tops?variant=39420302262468

I was going to pick up some of the black U4Ts and figured I add some of these tops as well if theyā€™ll work with the moyus in the U4 housing. I found that I could only get about 30 switches to work.

2 Likes

Looks like it, yes.

There are two different clear tops one can get from Gazzew; clear Boba tops which have the ā€œGAZZEWā€ logo, and these with the ā€œOutemuā€ logo. The Boba ones have the same extra-tight tolerances the other Bobas do, while Outemu branded ones are a bit closer to normal.

1 Like

Oops, looks like theyā€™re actually sold out. Thanks for the help though!

edit: I got some of the Black U4Ts anyways cuz I wanted to give 'em a try

Gazzew himself has some in-stock; he calls them ā€œClear (with slot)ā€ tops.

You can send him a DM on reddit there, following the guidelines in his profile, and heā€™ll send you a PayPal invoice.

2 Likes

Last I checked he wasnā€™t shipping within California anymore. Not sure why that is. Iā€™ll send him a pm

a lifetime ago I ordered some Outemu Sky Blue switches from him.

Wow, you are on a roll making less-tactile silent tactiles these days.

Could you give us a sound test of the Cream Silent Browns when available?

1 Like

Sure thing - hereā€™s a quick one I took at work:

This recording makes them sound a bit louder than they are; thereā€™s no deskmat, the mic is right next to the keeb, and Iā€™m going a bit HAAM on the keys - but it gives an idea of their character. Iā€™ll be taking another soundtest sometime soon with them mounted in my KBD67L w/ Cherry profile caps; thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been daily-driving for a week or so and Iā€™ve been loving it.

2 Likes

Yes, you can definitely hear those Kailh silent sliders, but it probably feels better than the regular switch!

I see you have a Rakk as well. I might build mine with ABS MT3 and 65 G Ergo Clears, as that has been the best combination, so far.

1 Like

Let us know if you make anything useful from these Dragonfruit switches!

Sadly still doesnt ship to Cali. You could get a friend to proxy for you if you want.

2 Likes

That would require me having a friend!

Anyone outside of Calif. looking to make an order through Gazzew? I will happily pay for your order (within reason) to proxy me some clear tops

2 Likes

This really shows the value of a Light Tactile Boba. Imagine something like this you could buy with 55 G Long springs thatā€™s already smooth and doesnā€™t need lube / film.

1 Like

I canā€™t resist that Cookies and Cream switch you posted earlier. Iā€™ll have to build some when I get the chance. Gotta find some cheap BOX Creams, lol, does AliExpress have them? [Not a priority].

But that Gateron U4 is very interesting. Lots of people like the U4 but want a more ā€˜toned-downā€™ version with a weaker spring.

Whatā€™s the most ā€˜toned-downā€™ U4 with the lightest spring you could build?

My starting point would be a U4 in Bobagum housing with a 55 G Long spring or 55 G Spirit, but in a Gateron-style linear or JWK housing, surely you could go lower? Like 52?

1 Like