Funky Frankenswitches

That looks nice

BTW, I got a new switch tester with Zeal switches as well, but I really don’t like the linears… :confused:
They feel a tad bit more mushy and scratchy to me, and even after lube they feel almost the same as lubed gaterons. I much more prefer the Gateron inks… Just my two cents.

I tried a Franken switch but there’s way too much rattle and I couldn’t exactly get the housing of the gat to sit properly with the sakurio stem… Or vice versa.
It’s a failure on my newbie end…
Will be returning the switch testers back to my friend after this…
Gat inks it is. :grin:

EDIT: so someone on Reddit just mentioned that zeal switches and Gateron switch (non silent and silent inks) aren’t compatible stem or housing wise… So that’s why my experience was bad.
Is that true?

1 Like

I believe so. Zeal has Gateron as their OEM but paid for their own tool to yeild switches with better tolerances.

The Cream steams on the Gat Yellow house, using the Gat yellows spring all lubed up with 205g0 is a solidly smooth switch. And I’ll definitely report back on the Creams with the INVRY stems.

4 Likes

I switched some switches while lubing and the Tiffany Ink is surprisingly smooth and quiet! :ok_hand::exploding_head::+1:

OK, I have only tried one in my hand, but the difference is noticeable I would say.

3 Likes

Better than stock?

Those Ink housings are pretty slick. I’d be curious to see some force curves between regular Gaterons, Inks, Tangies, and Zeals, where all other parts are the same aside from those housings. Maybe a Tealio stem, or some other smooth linear - and a pretty light spring. I’m interested to see if the data agrees with my perception, and if so, just what the difference is between them. Is it simply the amplitude of the little vibrations of the touching surfaces, or also the quality of them that might make a switch feel more or less smooth? What does Gateron know? What dark secrets lie within? What terrible bargains have been made??

Now where could my pipe be?

2 Likes

Kind of yes. The biggest thing is that it don’t bottom out so it will be the caps that say stop.

But a pretty expensive frankenswitch tho… :grimacing:

Would love to try’em on that lodestone-keyboard. :drooling_face:

Hi All,

I have a bunch of leftover old Cherry Blue Switches (of the pre-1994 light blue variety). Does anyone have experience with these switches?

If so, is there a modern Prokeytheus out there with suggestions for what stems might work well and bring new life to these housings?

Cream with INVRY stems, spring swapped to 60g gold Durock springs, and lubed with 205g0 is smooth boi status. Building my Quefrency with them tonight.

7 Likes

My favorite switch period is a Jailhouse Aristotle stem (Jspacer silenced), in translucent Gateron housings with 62g springs. The switch has the bump at the immediate start of the travel, and once passed, with the 62g springs very nearly bottoms out automatically. If it does bottom out, it’s incredibly soft and muted, mainly due to the Jspacer.

The closest switch that I can compare it to is somewhere between BKE Lights and 55g Realforce domes, and it feels nothing like any other MX switch. I call them Jizzistotles (for Jailhouse Zealistotle) and they’re what I finally built into my M65-A after letting it sit for a few years :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

@givemeyourshoes I’m really interested to know your thoughts on these once you’ve had some time with your build. I’ve got a bunch of Cream housings left-over from making Creamy Inks, and I’d love to be able to put them to good use.

@BongoUnicorns Interesting! I haven’t yet gotten to try Aristotles of any variety, and this is the first time I’ve heard about Jspacers. I’m definitely into switches with a tastefully-dampened bottom-out, so these are definitely on my wishlist now…

Aristotle stems are obnoxiously difficult to get ahold of now, so good luck! I feel as if these would be even better with lighter springs to encourage bottom-out, but I haven’t tried anything lighter than the 62g’s. Happy modding!

1 Like

Anyone have any linear switch stem recommendations?
I have silent ink blacks, would appreciate any ideas for even smoother linears :slight_smile:

Well, my plan is to take the silent Ink stem in nk_silk housing. U can try it for me. :wink:

If you’ve got Inks, Cream stems are amazing in them. Just note that the travel distance is reduced, which not everyone is fond of.

1 Like

First I need to fins some Black Silk switches XD

I have tried it actually…both ways.
My lubed modded silent ink blacks still feel and sound better. :frowning: :confused:

1 Like

NK_dry should be the same but black.

Soon™

1 Like

Im a big fan of mx zilents. (Silent MX stem in a zeal housing that is very quiet and very smooth, especially when lubricated)

I recently discovered that you can get the same results from a mx silent stem in any Durock housing. Thought I would share for anyone who happens to have switches on hand and wants to give it a shot.

4 Likes