Funky Frankenswitches

Any suggestion for a frankenswitch that would have deep thock that’s like ink black but with similar tactility as kiwi or U4T and same bottom-out force of 67g but a lighter start?

2 Likes

Good question!

You might try putting a ThicThock MP spring in a U4T / Holy Boba.

If it’s still too heavy up-front with the bump, you might try Linear Boba (pink) or Black / Red / Yellow Ink housings. (The leaves will make for a lighter bump.)

1 Like

The lighter start would likely accentuate the tactility of the stem. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for

3 Likes

I would say is having a very small pre-travel or making the against force getting stronger over a longer period of time

I have just done some testing with U4T stem and ink housing. It has the deepest sound I ever heard of. Deeper than cherry blacks. But the tactility is not strong enough. I am wondering would changing the leaf be possible? :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t have Blue Inks to test with but I believe those have the more tactile leaf so perhaps that’s what you’re looking for

3 Likes

I will need to get some sample switch for testing then

1 Like

I really want to try this now, but cant seem to find U4T’s shipping from CONUS. Are these obtained directly from heroinebob?

1 Like

I got my U4Ts from 3DKeebs.com

3 Likes

Havent heard of this store yet. Unfortunately, they do not have U4T’s in stock.

1 Like

They will be restocking, but I believe hbheroinbob has some now. He has a stickied post listing his inventory.

2 Likes

Just built my preonic up with some polia / trash panda frankenswitches and I can confirm that they feel the exact same as my trash pandas with halo clear stems. So anyone looking to build some holy pandas, you can get the polias and trash pandas from novelkeys. there is absolutely no housing wobble on the trash pandas either.

7 Likes

Sorry for late reply but I got the stems directly from heroinbob/gazzew. I already had housings so I didn’t need to buy the full switches from vendor

2 Likes

Just tried out boba housing with kailh polia stems and 67g spring. It has a larger tactile pump than holy boba if that’s what you looking for. The tactility is just too much for me and is not the deep sound I am looking for.

By the way, the blueish-white switch spring from TTC is really interesting, it makes switches feel more tactile without making it feel stiff at the same time, goona tries out more things with these springs.

5 Likes

I also find the “double spring” of the bluish-white switch an interesting spring to play around with.

I can’t figure out how to make a nice frankenswitch out of the unique TCC bluish-white housing (silent bottom-out but non silent top-out). It is a bit rattly in my opinion, even with films.

The bluish-white stem and housing run big in my experience so the stem is great for creating no-wobble tactile frankenswitches if you can find housings that are not too tight. All Gazzew housings I’ve tried are too tight for instance.

If anyone has ideas for a frankenswitch involving the TCC Bluish-white housing I’m interested in suggestions.

4 Likes

I would say boba housing is too tight for majority of the stems.
I think blueish white housing will need to use shorter stems in order to get the best out of it otherwise the travel will just be way too short. Maybe cherry stems will work well in them🤔

2 Likes

If anyone wants these at $1 per switch
140 seem to be available on reddit.

1 Like

Ooh that’s really tempting. I just bought a load of switches so I might have to pass but I totally recommend them to anyone that likes a clacky speed linear.

A problem I’ve found about these switches is that pushing them down fully on a hot-swap board I have makes them stop actuating. Maybe it is a wider problem with the board, but I seem to only have it with switches with this particular housing.

Oh odd - I’ll have to watch out for that.

I’ve had some Gateron milky housings hanging around and I’ve been making franken-switches out of them.

My latest creation is what I’m calling a Gateron milky silent sky.

• Gateron (Yellow) milky housing
  • Gazzew silent tactile “sky” stem
  • Sprit 68g Complex springs
  • Lubed with 3204 all around, except stem legs

It’s a really nice budget way to get a silent tactile with less tactility than with Boba housings or similar. I personally appreciate the slight resistance when I’m typing.

Here’s what it sounds like.

Side note: I am really starting to love 3204 lube for both tactile and linear switches.

4 Likes