[GB] Sorbothane Sheets R1

think it’s possible SMD components like diodes and resistors can be torn away from the PCB?

Good question. I haven’t heard of that happening, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened to someone…

At least in the situation I described earlier, I didn’t think it was likely, but that was in part because I took my time - just enough force for the Sorbothane to peel away slowly, and no more - and in part because I’ve worked with it before, and while it’s sticky, I don’t think it’s quite that sticky.

With that said, I would like to try just leaving the backing material on the Sorbo sheet, to see whether that negatively affects the sound dampening. If it does, then at least we’re not in any worse shape since we can just peel the backing off to get back to the result we already had, and if it doesn’t, then that’s even better, since it would be much easier to work with if the keyboard has to be reopened for maintenance.

Another approach, which interested me primarily as a way to keep costs down, but which might also be beneficial for this potential adhesion issue, is to just use a lot less of the Sorbothane. I’ve been finding that only a few strips are needed between the plate and PCB to significantly dampen plate ping, and I think it’s pretty likely that putting a big sheet between the PCB and case is overkill. I’d bet a few narrow strips would buy most of the benefits, and I wouldn’t worry about narrow strips peeling away components from the PCB. Assuming that it does buy you sufficient case dampening, then the only downside I can see with this approach is that you would lose some of the pleasant heft that Sorbothane brings. So it’s a tradeoff.

2 Likes

thanks for the thoughts. Stuff to keep in mind once I get my sheets

1 Like

Thank you Manofinterests for the time --coordinating this buy + fast shipping.

1 Like

Thank you!

As an update to all, shipping did hit a small hiccup, but should only put the last order being shipped out a week out from initial expectations. Trying to get everything shipped out before Thanksgiving hehe.

Hi Friends,

Updating once again. Some more sheets have been shipped out, but last week was a lot slower than expected since I had the meetup this past weekend. It’s time to go full speed on shipping again! Dedicating time every night to make sure I have more and more sheets packed up and shipped out.

For those with larger orders, there will be a small delay since I have to grab some boxes for y’all, but it should be soon enough. Thanks for the patience everyone.

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say I would like to give a major apology for taking so long. Tonight is one of my biggest packing nights and tomorrow I’ll have a lot of packages to drop off at the post office. By the end of tonight, 90% of everyone should have their tracking numbers, or an email from me regarding their order. Throughout tonight you might even be seeing a notification that a tracking number is added to your order :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your patience. It means a lot to me.

• Huey aka Manofinterests
2 Likes

Just finished packing almost every single order!

If you have not received a tracking number, please PM or email me ASAP! There should be 5 of you.

All of these are going out Wednesday :slight_smile:

Extras may or may not be available next week :thinking:

4 Likes

interested in some now lol

If there are any extra I would be very keen!

Me too! I skipped on these and I’m regretting it now haha

I’d be very keen for extras too, missed the GB.

I’m planning on trying to invoice/send out/figure out the last orders today from the GB, then hopefully I can open up a sheet for extras. Extras may cost a little bit more than the GB; but the plan is to keep the total price lower than amazon.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in another 12"x12" sheet if there are a good bit of extras. Although I’d rather see them go to people who didn’t get in the GB if there is only a small amount of extras. That one sheet did 3 boards for me so I can’t really claim to need it, LOL!

Great, thanks a lot - will the sheet for extras be posted here (presumably so)?

Yup

I’ve not received tracking info yet. Sent you an email

Received- thank you!!

received my sorbothane today - thanks!!

Have there been any videos showing people cutting down and/or installing their sorbothane sheets? I just received mine and it’d be helpful to get a sense of how ppl are installing them.

1 Like