[GB] the Heavy Grail, a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

Got my shipping notification! I’ve been on a RAMA M60-a since it was released, so excited to get back to a “real” HHKB!

2 Likes

for those who’ve assembled their heavy grail, did you choose to lube or keep it unlubed? I have both a recently-lubed and unlubed(stock) hhkb, and I’m honestly not sure yet which I prefer yet typing feel-wise…

I lubed it. Doesn’t take long (compared to mx switches) and doesn’t really have any downside that I know of.

Well, I just picked up a 23U in anticipation. I hope it works out!

1 Like

I worked out a model that matches the existing design language of the Norbaforce and also simply matches in a single part the angle of that keyboard with its optional risers installed (3 degrees). I think it’ll make a nice pairing and will work well as a standalone next a different board. I’m SLA printing a prototype right now in my workshop to check the fits and then will start working on a machined metal one. I’ll create a separate thread for that soon to avoid further distracting from the Heavy Grail discussion here. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

It’s Alive!

21 Likes

So jealous of anybody who already receives it. I am still waiting for my shipment notification. :sleepy:

4 Likes

We will likely be shipping these through the rest of the week. These have been years in the making and it’s a huge pile of orders, so I can only ask you to enjoy these last few days of anticipation. We’re working on getting things out in a paced and deliberate manner. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Ok, I’ll bite: why is your rear plate black?

1 Like

I got a mismatched Pro 3 bottom (the white one with the hole in the first photo) and Pro 2 top. They ran out of Pro 2 bottom plates in K2 when I contacted them so I told them I’d be happy with a black one instead and am sending back the K2 Pro 3 bottom.

4 Likes

I can’t believe it’s actually here!

11 Likes

happy to test out a 3DP version with a modified 23u (plate modified to match the 104u layout) if you want to stuff it in with my Heavy Grail order :wink:

Finally had the chance to build mine over the weekend

26 Likes

Et voilà!

Q: How long did it take you to put this together?
A: Around 6 hours, including lubing, silencing, and other mods.

Q: What was the best part about the build?
A: The complex detail of the custom plate was riveting. It was a piece of work really worth admiring. Also, the package was delivered a day early so obviously it felt like Christmas which made the experience even better.

Q: What was the hardest part about the build?
A: The top edge of my custom plate (where there is a little tab that seems to be for easy positioning) needed a little filing to perfect the alignment. The included tool which could be used for this purpose was a great touch. The poron gasket positioning was a bit of a challenge as well, but it gets simple when you figure out that you can lift the whole enclosure around to let gravity do the work for you.

Q: What does your Heavy Grail sound like?
A: Like raindrops falling on a wooden box filled with wool and optimism for the future.

Q: Where is your cable?
A: It is taking a well-deserved rest inside my drawer. Bluetooth works perfectly with Yang’s BLE controller, and the much-discussed battery fits brilliantly inside the enclosure!

Q: Didn’t you have better things to do on a Wednesday evening when you needed to get up early for work the next day?
A: I don’t understand your question.

34 Likes

:kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Which battery did you end up using if you don’t mind me asking?

This one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194096618711

2500 mAh, 6 x 40 x 80mm dimensions. Tip: you have to reverse the polarity of the wires on some batteries at the JST connector because the Yang controller uses the reverse orientation from those commonly used in Europe and the USA.

do you happen to have photos of how everything fit inside? (i realize opening this up again is probably the last thing you want to do now, heh.) Or does the Yang BLE controller take the place of what should be the HHKB original daughterboard?

does the battery body sit on the wool and poron away from the pcb or does it touch?

Will the Veracity Steel cases take longer to ship?

Built my Heavy Grail yesterday. This keyboard feels and looks amazing. To me, it types like a much sturdier version of the original. The bounciness is still there, but the fact it stays put on the desk makes gives it a more regal experience.

I have no less than 8 HHKB layout keyboards, and this one is by far my favorite. Great work by @norbauer and team. Thank you!

21 Likes