[GB] the Heavy Grail, a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

Sure! It’s not that complicated – the Yang BLE Controller replaces the breakout PCB, as with any other aftermarket controller.

I’m fairly certain the battery does not touch the main PCB, but if you’re concerned I suggest the use of some sort of insulating material as an added layer on top. I’ve secured the battery in place with some double-sided tape.

When installing the controller you’ll want to wiggle it around whilst the screws are loose to pull it away slightly from the top edge or one of the USB ports might snag on the enclosure when you try to close it.

9 Likes

Holy moly would love to see a render of this, sounds amazing.

I have Veracity steel not yet shipped. But I’m outside of US tho.

Alright well I just got in line for a Pro 3/K2/white backplate. I despise Ryan so much for discontinuing his topre cases. My short toe-dip in mechanical tactile (U4T, Holy Bobas, Holy Pandas, U4s) has just increased my love for topre/hhkb even more.

This is my true end-game. I know it’s a meme in his hobby but I seriously don’t think there is a keyboard out there more perfect for me than a heavy grail.

I was originally planning on buying a veracity heavy grail as a graduation gift for myself in a couple of years when I graduate college but I guess it’s now or never. No 19 year old should own a keyboard like this but here we are…

If anyone has an extra black switchplate they would like to sell me, please let me know.

1 Like

Most of the standard finishes were shipped out by the end of this week. On inspection and assembly, weren’t happy with a few of the Veracity steels that we got back in terms of cosmetic uniformity, so we sent those back to the polishing shop here in LA to be reworked. There are various straggler orders like this (including a decent number of pink switch plates) where we’re still waiting for parts that we needed to get replacements for due to cosmetic rejects. Now that we’ve nearly reached the end of the normal shipping, we’ll be going through all those and sending update to affected individuals. Everyone should still get what they ordered; a few items may just be a few weeks longer while we work to get the best possible cosmetic quality for parts.

1 Like

I am still waiting for aperture / pink switch plate. Is this relate to issue you describe?

Yes.

Ok. Take your time :smiley:

1 Like

What cases are y’all using for these? I was looking at the omnitype hardshell but not sure if there is a better option. Preferably under ~100$.

The packaging is suitable to be used as a storage case with caps. If you want something for travelling it’d be worth checking if it’d fit in a Monokei Kaban

Got it. I’d rather wait abit longer for a perfect product!
No rush!

1 Like

Purely out of curiosity, does this concern (one of) the enigma black heavy grails as well?

1 Like

Anyone with an affected order will be getting an email today. Please email us if you haven’t gotten a notification of either shipping or a delay and we’ll take care of you. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Has anyone bought a second switch plate to use with Deskeys sliders? My thinking was to get the 1U and ultimately 2U sliders (and drill template) to have an MX setup, with the original Topre sliders in their own switch plate to facilitate swapping or make it slightly easier to roll back to Topre. At roughly $200 it’s not a cheap option, but I can imagine that niche quality stuff like this (primarily the switch plate) won’t be around forever.

I’m really thinking about this too. Does deskeys still only offer 1u?

What is the reason for preparing a second plate with the original Topre sliders? For the sole use of EC keycaps or a different dome set-up altogether?

I just received my 1u deskeys sliders with the drill kit. Will report back here with findings/results.

2 Likes

only 1u atm. des recently teased the larger ones on his discord. they should be coming soon, hopefully a month or two.

Primarily to keep the Topre sliders organized and minimize the amount of popping sliders in and out of a switch plate. Appreciate any feedback you may have on those sliders!

I’m in the delayed boat, so going to wash all my HiPro caps in the meantime. Maybe break out the Monolith (NorbaForce Mk1 Tactical Black with black Cherry POM and Novatouch sliders). Maybe get a Heavy-9 while I wait. Four Norbauer cases isn’t enough, right?

4 Likes

Has anyone had much luck installing the lower gaskets? The washer cut outs from the poron gasket material seem to tear away even when gentley securing the screws in place. Ryan seems to skip this step in the instructional video so any advice would greatly be appreciate.