[GB] the Heavy Grail, a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

I had one of my keys (x I think, something in the third row) which I really needed to file the plate down on to get it to free fall. I’m using stock black sliders from a HHKB I’ve been using daily for 3 year, so its definitely not the slider. I was shitting myself filing the plate watching it go white, turned out fine from what I could tell in last couple days.

In total, I had to file 4 or 5 of the slider holes. Not something I really expected but I’m fine with it because where it counts, the slider walls, the plate is consistent and smooth. This is without lube, no silencing rings and no plate gasket.

I have 1 kbdfans slider for an artisan, and it sucks just like on the regular HHKB (Uber rattle). Can’t wait for these Des Stabs.

1 Like

Heh, my memory is failing me, I do remember taking the file and gently circling each of the plate cutouts for the sliders. I don’t remember if this was because the sliders were getting stuck or not, but that might have been the case. My thinking was that I wanted to do all the mods to the plate as fast as possible so that in case I ruined it, there was still a possibility I could get a replacement while they were still available. I’m happy to say that the sliders are still extremely smooth as well.

3 Likes

Ah, makes sense. Yeah you don’t see it with a cable in anyway, it’s just like I said I was curious if it is a normal thing because the bar in every other conceivable aspect was set so damn high :sweat_smile:

I found the PCB screwing to be hard. It wouldn’t go down in a straight line and kept pushing the PCB making me have to readjust it over and over. Anyone else having this problem? The screws kept going in sideways which was pretty annoying.

The plate isn’t pre-threaded so you have to take it pretty slow and try your best to keep the screws straight the first time you install. Mine came out fine. The video @norbauer posted really helped and addressed many build issues I wouldn’t have considered otherwise.

3 Likes

Thank you for the implicit compliment. :blush: Dealing with surfacing issues on USB recesses is something for which I’d like to find a solution, for sure. (It’s especially an issue with USB Mini, since it is also nearly impossible to get perfect powder coat coverage in there due to the Faraday cage effect.) I have a solution in mind for future products, but on aftermarket housings it’s rough because we’re stuck with whatever connector the keyboard itself has. My goal on future keyboards is actually to move toward Lemo connectors. Since those have inserts that go into the housing to form the keyboard’s external port, they can be finished separately outside the board and then just assembled into place, creating a clean look with all surfaces nicely finished.

5 Likes

Haven’t seen an Aperture grail here yet so I though I would post a quick and dirty iphone photo of mine in between meetings. I finished setting it up last night and there are two things that don’t translate well in this picture. The first is the color of the housing itself which I can only say “Is much better” in person. The second is how the white plate makes it almost seem like the keycaps are floating. Couldn’t be happier with it. I can also confirm that you can use a usb-c daughterboard with the pro-2 grail but it is tight probably for the reasons stated above.

10 Likes

Do you guys know what the two white rubber bands are for?

Just for holding the box snugly shut during long-term storage.

2 Likes

Well finally finished mine, looking darker than ever. Overall, highly satisfied with the build. Sound does seem to be more captured or hollow in some cases. Can’t say I don’t like the sound though. Only problem I had was the PCB screw-in where the screws kept on going sideways. That part took the longest for me trying to get them in straight. Other than that, it was smooth sailing. Planning on lubing and adding in o-rings later in the future. Thank you Norbauer and anyone else who were in the project for your hard work.

20 Likes

Extremely excited to receive my first norbauer board in the K2 finish! Can anyone comment on the durability of the powdercoating after a few years? Any advice on cleaning the surface of the board as well?

1 Like

Thank you Ryan!!!

21 Likes

HiPros are

3 Likes

Aperture looks great! I cannot wait mine.

2 Likes

002 in veracity steel checking in! (Who’s got 001?!) It’s been a long road to get this one done, but well worth the wait. Your craft has come a long way since the first Norbatouch. Love it.

15 Likes

I was looking back on some history here on Keebtalk, and found this exchange from 2018… Amazed at how far this has come. All these Heavy Grails are looking fantastic.

12 Likes

Wow people are already flipping these.

the only thing that’s really surprising is that they are trying to flip them while they are still available in the shop

Presumably they’re options and finishes that are already sold out, of which there are many.

@norbauer, do you plan to restock plates for the Heavy Grail? I’m waiting on a pink one for my build, but I’m thinking I’d might like to have a black one.

1 Like