[GB] the Heavy Grail, a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

If we end up with a few spares, we might put a handful into inventory in the shop, but there is no restock planned beyond what we got in the original shipment.

3 Likes

OOf. In that case, DOES ANYONE HAVE AN EXTA BLACK PLATE THEY WANT TO SELL? :rofl:

1 Like

Does this also imply the grail won’t be a board that’ll be available as a commission option?

Patiently waiting for the polycarb version…

Mine is ready :smiley:

15 Likes

Good lordy. That’s a sexy beast. Tell me about the keycaps.

Idea 23 Hi Pros :smiley:

1 Like

Is he active on any discord servers or reddit? Do I just have to visit his website every day to see if there are keycaps available? B/C I’ll do it…

I was personally following his instagram account, easy to find. The drops are pretty frequent. Oh he does post it in the mechmarket reddit too btw.

1 Like

He’s stopped taking new HHKB orders for now, not sure how long the hiatus will be

Got my Veracity assembled today, drilled, lubed, silenced and Novatouched. I won’t post pics, I’m not a photographer and it’s past sundown; Laser looks subpar in photos under incandescent light, and Hazakura is the true set destined for the board.

Very solidly constructed, and the gasket, dampener and plate really make the board acoustically astonishing. I’m a bit irritated with most metal cases from a sound perspective, but this one is special.

No concerns about the strength of the plate in the slightest (even for drilling), but I do hope that the plates get more runs anyway, so that perhaps other aftermarket HHKB designs could reach the community as well.

Despite my board being a ship of Theseus of sorts (the actual only remaining original part of my HHKB being the main PCB), the Grail delivers a worthy homage to that old board.

The piece that elevates this board to the unequivocal pinnacle of my collection (with no exaggeration) is the nearly obsessive extent to which Ryan invokes the HHKB typing experience with this case’s acoustics and flexibility. A longtime user of an HHKB has a rosy nostalgia of the board’s typing experience after a long time away from it, and the Grail falls not one iota short of that weighty expectation.

13 Likes

I just had the same realization too. Is there a way to acquire pro2 pcbs without buying a whole new hhkb? I could have another hhkb by just buying one more pcb.

I think I have one I could sell you. Feel free to email. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi (Pro) peaks of Mount K2.

Thank you Ryan for such an amazing board!

17 Likes

Is this only a case to replace my HHKB keyboard?Can it be used with some GH60 size PCB

At the moment, it’s an aftermarket case to replace the plastic shell of the HHKB Pro 2 / Pro 3. You have to use the HHKB’s controller and PCB with it, and unfortunately, at this point no other PCB is compatible. This is an ambitious feat in and of itself though, with significant technical challenges.

Moreover, any alternative PCB has to be electrostatic capacitive sensing (EC) compatible, and not a MX-style PCB. At this time, there aren’t too many EC PCBs produced by bigger companies (Topre, PFU, Leopold, and Niz are your only options here), let alone by community developers and engineers (I can only think of the Conundrum at this point and it’s a 40% ortho layout), so it’s currently impossible to use the Heavy Grail with anything else. Who knows what things will look like in 5 years though.

2 Likes

I’m in the delayed group, would love to see some veracity photos!

2 Likes

Me too. Keep the faith! We shall see our sweet boards soon enough!

3 Likes

Me too.

Right now for me the big debate is whether I want to go with deskey light domes or 55g topre domes :thinking:
Everything else has been decided from keycaps to silencing rings fortunately :smiley:

5 Likes