[GB] the Heavy Grail, a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

The heavier domes seem like the right stuff for a Heavy Grail :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Since we all know you’re using hipro, my feeling is that 55g goes well with those caps. But for lower profile caps, 55g can be pretty tiring.

2 Likes

Absolutely love the old school hi-pros, but lack of access to them these days is a real bummer. Anyone know of existing re-pros or ones that are in development?

Just the KBD fans ones and the occasional idea23 ones.

2 Likes

Anyone know which color Deskeys domes are closest to HHKB stock?

Probably purple as far as weight, but they don’t have the exact same feel. I liked purple a lot but went down in weight to the tiffany for something more dramatically different.

3 Likes

I’ve only tried purple. I also tried the bke redux domes which I hated. Purple is pretty similar to 45g stock in weight, just a bit more snappy. I definitely don’t find it fatiguing like I do 55g.

1 Like

bke redux domes are very binary, both in how they feel and how people feel about them. I’m curious if anyone has used og bke domes as well as redux and could attest to the similarities. I see BKE boards on ebay from time to time but they are always just a bit to expensive to justify for an experimental done harvest.

I just got a shipping notice from KBDfans for their hipro caps (after having zero updates the entire time). Keep an eye out for extras soon, maybe join the KBDfans discord.

4 Likes

I could have sworn the earlier renders looked more like the traditional EC hipro but the ones I found on kbdfans looks more like SA pro or something. HMM. Will have to think on these.

I’ll post pics when I get them. I have real hipro caps too so they’ll be easy to compare.

3 Likes

They pretty much looked most similar to MT3 to me based on renders from the beginning. I did buy them so I’ll keep you posted as soon as they arrive.

Yeah, that was a thing. Early renders looked very promising. Then the actual prototypes definitely look more like SA profile with topre stems. Hopefully they’ll be good an thick.

1 Like

Anyone knows how to get rid of the sticky sound when pressing down and releasing the keys in HHKB?

I’m pretty sure that sound you’re hearing is the capacitve springs under the domes. The standard suggestion to quiet that noise is to lubricate the pcb with something that is safe on the domes. Krytox lubricant like 205g0 has proven to be safe.

Although I’m fairly certain I did that on my fc660c that I’m using to write this post and I hear the noise still. Maybe I needed to use more lube? lol

Do you lube the white circles only?

Yep. Just where the spring rests

He says to use a toothpaste amount on your finger to lube the whole board. I just did the circles though. Not sure what lubing the space in between would benefit.

1 Like

Has anyone been able to get a blank 25th edition pro 3 or hybrid in the US? Maybe just the new all white keycaps? I think they would be a perfect fit for my K3 finish norbauer.

Happy to pay extra if anybody from Japan was able to get their hands on them.

I went and lubed 205g0 on every white circles on the Hybrid Type-S PCB and it worked! I can’t say its gone 100%, but it greatly reduced the sticky/springy sound. Every key seems to work fine after lubing too. Thank you very much, but my neck and back hurts now.

3 Likes