Glorious GMMK Pro

Why would they? They are the JIZZ … erm GOAT!

1 Like

From what I understand, Durocks have the most trouble fitting in the GMMK Pro plate, but aren’t the only ones. I used Morgrie stabs on one I put together for a friend and they were a tight squeeze but ultimately fit ok.

I masked the lightstrip diffusors with some black electrical tape because I didn’t fancy the light bleed into the adjacent keys.

Before

After

Also, I like the sound and feel with Boba U4, aluminium plate, Durock V2 and GMK keycaps. Oh and QMK >> Glorious firmware.

8 Likes

Hello folk,

I have a stupid question is it possible to use this board without installing any proprietary software or specific drivers ?

I’m not a big fan of installing anything on my machines, especially when it’s obviously useless.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Yes, it functions fine without additional software.

The board as shipped, is pre-programmed with a number of functions that are completely adequate for the vast majority of users.

2 Likes

Thanks for you reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry to reply to this so late! I ran across your post this week while looking for a way to isolate the side RGB so thank you for sharing this! Do you mind if I ask how you were able to accomplish the multicolor fade in your screenshots?

I’m new to QMK, but I used it this past week to set up controls for sidebar RGB controls with the encoder knob thanks to an amazing redditor. It would be awesome to throw the color gradients in the mix as well!

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

It’s not a fade, it’s just a static gradient. I generated the values using this web app.

To integrate this as a custom lighting effect you need to edit two different files inside your custom keymap folder. That’s the one where your keymap.c resides. Probably ~/qmk_firmware/keyboards/gmmk/pro/ansi/keymaps/somethingyouchose. If they don’t exist yet you need to create them and add the following:

rules.mk

RGB_MATRIX_CUSTOM_USER = yes

rgb_matrix_user.inc

// !!! DO NOT ADD #pragma once !!! //

// Step 1.
// Declare custom effects using the RGB_MATRIX_EFFECT macro
// (note the lack of semicolon after the macro!)
RGB_MATRIX_EFFECT(somethingMiami)

// Step 2.
// Define effects inside the `RGB_MATRIX_CUSTOM_EFFECT_IMPLS` ifdef block
#ifdef RGB_MATRIX_CUSTOM_EFFECT_IMPLS

static bool somethingMiami(effect_params_t* params) {
    RGB_MATRIX_USE_LIMITS(led_min, led_max);
    for (uint8_t i = led_min; i < led_max; i++) {
        rgb_matrix_set_color(i, RGB_OFF);
    }
    // set left sidebar
    rgb_matrix_set_color(67, 255, 0, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(70, 182, 0, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(73, 109, 0, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(76, 36, 0, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(80, 0, 36, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(83, 0, 109, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(87, 0, 182, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(91, 0, 255, 255);
    // set right sidebar
    rgb_matrix_set_color(68, 255, 0, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(71, 182, 0, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(74, 109, 0, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(77, 36, 0, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(81, 0, 36, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(84, 0, 109, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(88, 0, 182, 255);
    rgb_matrix_set_color(92, 0, 255, 255);
    return led_max < DRIVER_LED_TOTAL;
}

#endif // RGB_MATRIX_CUSTOM_EFFECT_IMPLS

Make sure to bind a key to RGB_MOD in your keymap.c so you can switch through all the included effects until you finally reach your custom one.

In case I forgot something, here’s the corresponding part of the official QMK documentation.

What I’ve done is the bare minimum using custom RGB matrix effects. You can go crazy there if you find the time.

2 Likes

Question for GMMK owners: I’m not a touch typist, so I need backlit keycaps to help when typing in the evening. Unfortunately the south-mounted LEDs don’t play well with most of the keycaps out there. Currently I’m using Everglide Aqua switches and PBT LavaCaps but beyond those the pickings seem mighty slim. The only other set I’ve been able to find was an ABS Laser Cut set from KBDFans. Otherwise it’s side print or pudding, which are very bright due to the transparent switch.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

You could check out Drop’s “Skylight” series. They’re a shine-through keycap that works pretty well. I would avoid any sort of pudding-style keycap though as the clear skirt is going to allow too much light making things all but unreadable in the dark.

Glorious makes their own shine-through caps, but they seem to be a lower quality that what Drop carries.

I’m so sorry for replying to this so late! This is wonderful, thank you so much for taking the time to share. I’ll give it a shot this weekend. Much appreciated.:pray:

1 Like

I’m finally happy to share my GMMK Pro with you guys. This is my daily driver. I will do some more tweaks to tune the sound but currently I’m happy with it.

My next keeb? A slightly better layout (75% but not to cramped) and bluetooth support. Sample: Share your favourite layout from KB Layout Editor

14 Likes

14 Likes

I think it’s pretty safe to say you have the sexiest GMMK Pro on the planet, m8

5 Likes

Wow that’s actually the best GMMK Pro in existence hands down hands up hands everywhere for all them smudges :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Beautiful GMMK Pro. Now that the 75% percent layout is starting to get popularized in the content creation area of keyboards, I wonder if companies will start making more budget 75% boards, as some companies like FEKER already have made some, like the FEKER Ik75.

Feker? Sounds familiar, didn’t they make some really good holy panda clones?

No, I believe that was Mutharfeker.

2 Likes

A wild GMMK Pro has appeared!

2 Likes