Glorious GMMK Pro

I’d say this is a very succinct, and fair assessment.

That said, I think people in this hobby can be very discerning and Glorious underestimated their target audience.

Not just that some other artists and vendors and shops have really been active lately posting that glorious stole everything and so on.
Elitism reared its head.

The funny thing is…this board isnt the cheap entry into the hobby. As said above by me my nk65 and lite67 are way cheaper. So no its probably no the Gamechanger I had hoped for to make other vendors drop their raffle 600 bucks boards sales and still everyone behaves like it was.

1 Like

tenor

I have no stake in this and don’t even know who is more in the right or wrong but this is VERY fun to watch. Unfortunate for the team to have to deal with the vitriol on social media but some of the responsibility certainly falls on their shoulders for not tying up loose ends before release. I am a humble dunce though, so if I am incorrect in my take I am totally down to be schooled.

6 Likes

Hmm. Owning ones mistakes looks a lot better than the Streisand Effect. We’ll see how they handle it.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware they just “stole” Olivia. I mean, yeah, Chinese clones OK. But now that’s a second strike. You know you messed up when Wilba is calling you out on github.

1 Like

It is not stealing per see.
They posted an image done by one of their users that used clone Olivia set.
As they are a bit new to the enthousiast crowd Glorious didn’t noticed that.
And it look they apologized and removed the image after that.

6 Likes

I have a feeling that somehow people look onto glorious with a magnifying glass to find anyhting

1 Like

Man, I don’t even think that posting the fake Olivia set was even that bad. I mean, I’m definitely not going to lick company boot, but Glorious seems to have an inexplicable hatedom.

3 Likes

As Glorious is a decently sized company and openly business oriented, it is natural that it is scrutinized a lot by our community that is still somehow more hobbyist centered.

1 Like

You might be right but I just don’t think Glorious is being genuine. For example, Rama probably shipped a lot more keebs than Glorious did to date but I am not critical of Rama because I know they bought into the community and probably don’t even get the credit they deserve.

At the same time, Glorious didn’t need to position this product as “custom” mk and instead went against typical gaming boards. But they didn’t because they can’t justify the price in that segment of the market. This is why I don’t think the market segment between $100-$400 is all that viable/attractive.

1 Like

This is why I don’t think the market segment between $100-$400 is all that viable/attractive.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Whoa. The dude just pulled all the switches from the PCB in one go. Does this happen to anyone else?

3 Likes

What time in the video did you see that at? I must have skipped past it.

His review isn’t wrong, and he touches on the QMK/VIA issues at least. As far as a typing experience goes it’s definitely decent and I genuinely enjoy my setup.

What he said about the DROP keyboards though gave me pause. I was recommending one for a friend and may need to dig a bit deeper now.

1 Like

The polycarbonate plate is not manufactured correctly - it causes the entire plate/PCB assembly to bow upwards in a slight U shape. I’m pretty surprised that JYMV seems to be the only reviewer to have mentioned it so far, because it’s very noticeable on mine.

7 Likes

I could have sworn I’ve seen at least one written review that covers this.

This market segment is all that I can afford.

4 Likes

I like his review, as it give more useful information about the board rather than just saying “the board sound good”

4 Likes

Thanks.

I wouldn’t have reacted had they said it’s not viable for them

But I guess shame on us for not being able or willing to cash out 500 to 600 bucks for a keeb on a raffle

2 Likes

Same. I may have spent a bit more on a board or two over the past few years, but I gotta say my very favorite board to use is comfortably in that range, including the GMK keyset and switches on it.

Everyone’s priorities are different, but for what I value in a typing experience, that range has the sweet spot. Stuff like;

• NK65EE
  • Ikii68 Aurora
  • KBD67L
  • Kara
  • That one actually nice plastic 60% I can’t remember the name of, which my brain is wanting to call “Burger Box”

I kind of doubt any of these will reach the production numbers of GMMKs various offerings, but I’d be happy to be wrong there. Who knows; maybe the Pro will give enough people a (small) taste of thoughtful design for that to change.

It’s easy for me to imagine a customer picking up the GMMK as a gaming keyboard, being super impressed by how much better it feels than whatever their rig came with - and then seeing the reviews that point out a lot of the stuff that does make it so much better is actually on the weak side compared to what’s out there - and then taking a proper peek down the rabbit hole of tailoring a keeb to one’s own preferences.

9 Likes

JYMV honestly makes some of the best keyboard reviews around. He turns down all review units/sponsorships as well, which is pretty honorable. I will gladly wait to watch his review of something, even if he releases it well after other content creators.

9 Likes