Glorious GMMK Pro

Wait, what? It’s not possible to use momentary layer switching?

Oh look, our favourite burping Dutchman fiddled with it:

5 Likes

Just want to clarify, I meant from a manufacturing perspective. Of course we all want cheaper keyboards! That segment is tricky because people will want all the premium qualities and features from higher priced keyboards. And at that price point and expected quantity, it’s going to be hard to deliver and hit those thresholds (either you cut corners or liberally take from community innovations).

I think $100 is where a lot of consumers will draw the line and anything above that will be considered niche/premium and expected value just sky rockets. To be completely honest, GMMK Pro should be $100-125 with switches and keycaps included. There I said it.

4 Likes

Yeah him and taekeyboards (not to be confused with taeha) are two of my favorites.

So it seems like the RGB support in QMK is not gonna happen anymore? I’m not sure what the timeline is.

Lovely. I think to be fair to future buyers they should add an asterisk anywhere it says “QMK support, out-of-the-box.*”

*to the extent that you can use QMK, but with diminished functionality afterwards.

I’m kinda happy I’ve been waiting to do my review because I feel like if I did it earlier, there would be no end to the amount of asterisks I’d have to add whenever I said anything

8 Likes

Available for regular purchase tomorrow of anyone wants one

3 Likes

I put one of these together for a friend yesterday. It’s honestly a very solid product.

As IO Sam pointed out, while the gaskets don’t do much for flex, they do a great job at sound and vibration dampening.

This is also one of the few mid-range hot-swaps I’d actually recommend as a tester board: the plate’s grip is on the loose side of normal - so switches aren’t going to get stuck in there like with the NK65, and unlike most of its peers, the hotswap sockets are physically supported when the keeb is assembled, so it’s not really necessary to break the whole keeb down for the sake of care when installing new switches.

The caveat here is that the board has so much dampening, you might not get as much of the character of a given switch as obviously as you would with something like a GK. On the other hand, the Pro has a solidness and tightness that a GK likely never could.

Holy jeez the screws were tight, though - and while I’m sure the stabs are plenty tunable, the lube that comes on them is a little bit too much like glue, and there’s lots of it. I learned that it’s not enough to simply wipe the stuff off those little pads - you gotta squeeze it out if you don’t want it making your keys tacky after assembly.

Before modding:

After modding:

7 Likes

the foam steadies the sockets while people are pulling switches out–which makes it less likely to dislodge a socket?

the pulling and wear and tear is part and parcel of the risk with hotswap, right? if you’re a little too enthusiastic or pull at a wrong angle and the original solder wasn’t great…

As far as wear on the sockets goes, it’s more the installing of switches that poses a risk; if a pin is bent, it can crumple on top of the socket instead of go into it, and that can physically push it off of its pad (contact).

Supporting the socket from the bottom takes the pressure off the pads, and protects it from potentially being dislodged.

With pulling, there’s more risk of damaging the switch - at least depending on the plate. With the NK65EE, some switches are in there so tight it’s difficult not to damage the housing during removal.

2 Likes

Anyone catch this video by Keybored? His mods have his GMMK Pros sounding excellent. The black one sounds so good

I Took a SAW to my GMMK PRO… And Made it Feel and Sound Better - YouTube

3 Likes

Having received a GMMK Pro in the mail today, I hereby propose to call “GOAT Stabilizers” by the more descriptive name “JIZZ Stabilizers”.

Fitting Durock v2 requires filing down the aluminium plate by 0.3 mm on each side of the cutouts. There is no precision required though, since the stabs are fixed to the PCB and do not need to hold onto the plate for stability.

2 Likes

I thought they said they fixed that to where you dont have to file down the plate? Also is that just for the Durock v2 stabs or if use anything other than Glorious’s stabs (Im not calling them GOAT stabs lol)

That… seems like a decent amount. Did Glorious not test their keyboard with other stabs than their own? lol

1 Like

Maybe they fixed it in in the drawing. :laughing:

1 Like

Why would they? They are the JIZZ … erm GOAT!

1 Like

From what I understand, Durocks have the most trouble fitting in the GMMK Pro plate, but aren’t the only ones. I used Morgrie stabs on one I put together for a friend and they were a tight squeeze but ultimately fit ok.

I masked the lightstrip diffusors with some black electrical tape because I didn’t fancy the light bleed into the adjacent keys.

Before

After

Also, I like the sound and feel with Boba U4, aluminium plate, Durock V2 and GMK keycaps. Oh and QMK >> Glorious firmware.

8 Likes