Hello and my version of a Planck 64

Hello to all,

I got into mechanical keyboards last year during my first months in a sustained period of working from home. Needless to say, the rabbit hole started to get deep rather quickly and soon I found myself going from an Apple full-size to a Keychron K2 to an Epomaker GK68XS to a Drop Planck. I had a short retro romance with a Durgod Fusion but found it lacking my retro needs. I just don’t like the looks of Cherry/OEM/cylindrical profiles.

So I started to design around my Planck with my eternal love for my first computer — the Commodore 64.

So here it goes…

Initial design and render. Nevermind the strange row 1 texturing. These are not yet the scanned keycaps, but rather eyeballed.

Overall I wanted to keep the case footprint small and in line with the overall design of the Plank, hence I decided not to have the iconic C64 forehead. Rather I chose to use some design elements and see how they fit. The alpha prototype of the case is PLA printed and the recess with the label is just a decal for now. I’m planning to have an actual insert with embossed letters.

PLA printed case glued and first round of priming and sanding

Paint, sand, paint, sand, paint… you know the deal

On the keycaps, I couldn’t settle for anything less than the original profile. So I scanned and reconstructed them — quite an involved process I might add. At first, I printed some keys with PLA, but quickly switched to photopolymer resin for accuracy and detail. For the first full set, I’ve decided to go with white caps and recessed legends. By doing so the legends are ever so slightly legible while avoiding a more complex solution for legend coloring.

Keycaps scanned, reconstructed and first prints

Full set printed and more test fitting. DSA meets C64 profile.

More painting…

What else can I say other than that they feel absolutely great? :smiley:

I’m currently making some adjustments to row 4. As seen in the images I’ve reversed some keys for ergonomics on the Planck. I’m thinking about adding an in-between angle for the left option key to smoothly transition between ctrl and command keys. I’m also undecided on whether to have convex or concave layer keys.

This version was kept white for a more modern look, something Commodore also went for with the C64C and C64G. My next version will sport the classic brownish colors. Stay tuned :smiley:

Bringing it all together

A closer look at the keycaps.

This is a blue steel pose, yes I’m that old. I didn’t account for dampening, so the o-rings lift the PCB higher than I’d wished for, therefore the keycaps stand out too far.

Many Bothans died…

Thank you for being a great community — being respectful, sharing knowledge, and helping each other. I’m happy to be here and taking part in it.

Have a great weekend.
Andreas

32 Likes

Omg! That’s awesome! I want one!

3 Likes

That is absolutely outstanding, truly inspirational work.

2 Likes

Ooo wow. Dude. You’re almost too creative. Sound test please!

Any chance of an Apple II version?

What did you use to scan the keycaps? That’s awesome

2 Likes

Yep, that’s super cool. Those caps are especially impressive. :ok_hand:

Thank you all for your kind words. :heart:

I used Metashape for the photogrammetry process. I found it accurate enough once I primed and sprinkled the caps with acrylic paint.

Acrylic paint dries to a matte finish and the toothbrush applied sprinkles create a random pattern for the software to work without cleanup. Each key required around 26 photos to create the geometry shown above.

Luckily I only needed to scan 4 keys for the Planck layout.

3 Likes

I’ve made a sound recording. Not sure if it’s any good as it’s my first. There’s not really any dampening to the case except some o-rings between the case and PCB.

I hope you enoy :smiley:

7 Likes

What switches are those? They sound like Alps even though I know they aren’t.

I’m sorry I should have included the vimeo comment here.

Space and Cursors are Cherry Silent Blacks all others Cherry Browns. Lubed with Krytox 205.

3 Likes

WOW, this is excellent. Nice going! Love the effort needed.

1 Like

Wow very nice work on these…

Would you consider sharing the files. I would love to print some to replace missing key caps. I would completely understand if not. I know you must have put a lot of work into these. Please let me know.