[IC] After-School 1992 (90s/vaporwave DSS Keyset)

The process of getting the prototypes made was actually set in motion today. :slight_smile: As to when the actual production will begin, we’re at the mercy of SP’s lead times, and I don’t think we’ll know that for certainty on this set until I actually place the order after a successful GB. However, DSS is a newer profile, so I think it’s on the short end of their normal turnarounds because people haven’t placed many orders yet for it–certainly way better than SA, which seems to be booking out for y3k.

5 Likes

Saw this posted on reddit today. Sweet pen.

5 Likes

Heh, I just saw this too and thought of this thread.

Most excellent.

Maybe have one cap (esc or spacebar) made from multicolor rubber like:

or:

I also have two more moods :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great stuff! I have always loved that crazy pastel Apple prototype–shame they never got around to making it.

1 Like

Saw you mention Koio a grip ago in another topic, then I spotted these in their window on my walk home and figured you’d appreciate them:

Haha. That’s awesome. I’ve never actually seen Koio shoes in a shop before. I do know that they make these awesome pink leather shoes (for men!), which I kind of want to get. The color is strikingly similar to the color I use on my boxes.

They also make a line of shoes sold only the gift shop of my favorite hotel (The historic Beverly Hills Hotel), which has the hotel’s signature tropical foliage wallpaper printed right on the shoes. Those a bit much for me, but I like that they exist.

Oh, their store is really rad! I keep meaning to step inside; I love walking past and seeing their take on men’s shoes.

1 Like

I’m going to try to help you keep track of these missing navigation keys in DSS. I was able to get a R2 1.5u Backspace key (on the second try, after they sent me a R1 version), for my HHKB layout. However, I went to put my DSS set on a 65% board today and there’s simply no way to build the right column.

I personally use

R1 Delete
R2 PgUp
R3 PgDown
R4 Function

R1 Delete is only available in the dolch set as an “extra” optional cap. It doesn’t come in any set but does exist. I’m pretty certain that most 65% users who aren’t using split backspace would want a R1 Delete, so it needs to be included in an extended modifier set at the least.

There is no R2 Page Up or Home key. I’d take one or the other, but they currently don’t exist in any kit.

R3 has nothing as far as navigation, like @Nebulant mentioned. Again, I prefer a Page Down key, but something at least would be nice.

There’s not even an option to do R3 PageUp, R4 PageDown like on the white fox. Nada.

There is a R4 Fn key, which is good for me. So, that’s the one thing that’s not missing in my book.

I think the way they ran their “alternate kit” in the new SA-P sets includes all of the right keys. Not sure why they didn’t do the same for DSS

Looking forward to the prototypes.

3 Likes

Just saw this on Reddit and thought it would fit perfectly and added to inspire

8 Likes

Wow, i’ve never seen that before. Granted, I wasn’t a big GameBoy fan, but this color is very nice!

It’s a custom and not a real product, but very cool looking.

Everything was Miami-colored in the early-mid 00s

To amuse us while we wait for the sample set to be complete, here is the packaging artwork I have been working on.

16 Likes

This is one of those sets that just isn’t for me - and yet you’re going to make me want it, aren’t you. Evil.

4 Likes

Perfect! :ok_hand: Also exciting that you are thinking of packaging this set! SP’s “Here’s your expensive keycaps that are limited in availability all mixed up in ziplock bags like you bought some dope” move always left me a bit disappointed when I got their sets, LOL. Especially considering what other companies like GMK or even JTK do for packaging. Very awesome as always Mr. Norbauer! :metal:

2 Likes

I felt that way when I first saw the set, but it has grown on me some since then. The fact I was a kid in the 90’s & literally had an “after-school” in 1992 helps a bit too I guess… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Indeed brewery in Minneapolis has a beer named like “vaporwave” and has sticker sheets with cool designs. I think they are $5 each sheet, which is kinda crazy, but LMK if anyone wants one. It might look good with the keycaps.

Picture quality is low, but it conveys the idea.

hey mista, any updates? :slight_smile:

1 Like