[IC] After-School 1992 (90s/vaporwave DSS Keyset)

I don’t expect the sample set from SP to be completed until early autumn.

1 Like

Maybe a late back to school sale!

After-School 1992 keyset on a Norbaforce Mark II (“VHS” finish).

18 Likes

/GASP

/swoon

I never thought I’d like these pastel colors so much!
This is really beautiful :slight_smile:

need 40% and/or Planck kit!

1 Like

It’s like if the Miami 80’s theme was simply improved upon… like going from the 80s to the 90s :stuck_out_tongue:

That VHS finish is tight. Pairs so well with the pastels.

1 Like

More photos on a Norbaforce Mark II

6 Likes

must have this setup. need good sliders. HALP

I own a Novatouch (norbatouch), but I like it more than my realforce since I added deskeys silencing rings and lubed the plate/housing contact surface, so I won’t harvest from it. Sadly, they’re selling from $200-$400 now. Boo.

Sorry, I should move this slider business discussion to the Mark II thread. Really excited about it is all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could always just get an RGB R2, which has MX sliders. I have one and just use it with the LEDs turned off. (With apologies to those who hail from that faction, I think LED backlighting on a keyboard is gauche, newfangled nonsense.)

I could totally figure out how to make better sliders, but I figured all the options that are out there these days (the R2 RGB foremost among them) would obviate yet another attempt at solving that problem. But I’m not necessarily opposed to taking a crack at it.

2 Likes

Also, when I get this set, I’m totally going to jam out to some Kidd Video. I know, I know, it’s supposed to be 1992, but it’s Kidd Video to me. We all have our issues.

2 Likes

Here are the planned keys for inclusion in the sets. Any feedback welcome.

I’ll likely offer this as 3 SKUs: Core, Numpad, and Alternate Extras (including ISO).

This selection of keys is intended to support the following layouts (and will also likely work with others):

• TKL
  • 100%
  • HHKB 60%
  • Universal 60%
  • 60% with arrows
  • 65%
  • 75%
1 Like

It looks like support for 96% wouldnt be possible with proper legends based on these kits. Also not a fan of forcing the volume keys in the nav cluster.

Oh right, I forgot that I changed that. It’ll just be the standard keys in production. I was briefly convinced of the Volume thing, but then thought better of it. Andrew of Input Club is on a crusade to change this convention (also to change Fn to “Fun” on those keyboards that have this legend), but as much as I respect his judgement on such matters, on reflection I don’t think I’m fully on board with the change (being the staunch keyboard conservative that I am).

UPDATE: I’ve fixed the volume legends in the mockup above.

2 Likes

Is this a common layout, and if so, can it be supported with a minor change to the keys? I’m trying to walk that difficult balance between compatibility and not getting too far down the long tail. I only use ANSI layouts myself, so I’ve had to rely on help from community members (many thanks in particular to @choobies for his extensive help in this regard) when constructing this attempt at a sweet spot between compatibility and cost.

I dont know if it is super common, but it is usually in the GMK base kits.

This is one of the more common layouts, and the only keys that are not in the kits in some form are the r1 end and page down. As for colors they should be, I can see how that might over complicate things.

Requesting Colevrack and ErgoDox kits seems like a total long shot, but I can’t let myself stay silent :sweat_smile:

@norbauer I don’t even want to know how much that one-off set cost you! :joy:

1 Like

Is a 6u spacebar possible ?