[IC] KAT Milkshake

Update on nomad kit:

Ortho kit added:

5 Likes

Milkshake white is a bit warmer!

What are you choosing to believe that based on? Just because there are a large number of those boards posted on here doesnā€™t mean that here is proportional to how popular they are in general. Standard is standard for a reason, a lot of people use it.

For example, if you take a look at the last SA Pulse set on massdrop (most recent one I could quickly find numbers for that had them separate) there were around 1,400 orders for the alphas kit. To cover a standard bottom row the modifiers/icon modifiers kits were required, while to cover a WKL bottom row the hobbyist/icon hobbyist kits were required. There were over 1,200 orders for the standard ones, while just over 400 for the kits that would cover the WKL bottom row. If both were bundled together this would suggest that for every person that used these keys there would be around two putting them to sit in a drawer somewhere. That seems like a huge waste of plastic to me, and that way the 2/3rds of people that donā€™t need them donā€™t have to pay for them. These numbers are a bit simplified (discounting ergo/ortho, people who buy both, etc) but I think probably reasonable representative.

3 Likes

Quality information, thanks for checking up on it. The weirdo kit is calling my name

1 Like

I was thinking the opposite, Iā€™ve got the DSA weirdo kit but I think the regular alphas would be awesome this time around. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve used a KAT kit before so it will be my first foray into that.

Well, you have to take into account that Pulse was sold on Drop. There, normal users, who just want to put some nice caps on their Cooler Master/Ducky/whatever, account for a lot of sales. Milkshake will be run by community vendors, where the fraction of ā€œnormalā€ users (contrary to ā€œenthusiastsā€ probably using non-standard layouts) will likely be much smaller.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a good point, but I would be willing to guess itā€™s still less than half. With the smaller runs itā€™s hard to meet the minimum order and it often gets all rolled up into one and I couldnā€™t find numbers for such a set. The being said, I feel like massdrop has not been growing proportionally to other vendors, if you take a look at GMK vapor wave which just ran on novelkeys (and I believe other community vendors abroad) the base kit was almost 800 orders, and iirc GMK dots was over 1000.

In the end though this is all speculation. I would be interested to see the results if say novelkeys ran a survey along with one of their keyset buys for what layout people were planning to use.

So to summarize the HHKB discussion, this would need Mods + Alphas + Specialties to cover it?

Looks like it, yeah

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why is that kit coming for september omg, there are already 3 other incredible sets coming before 2020, I canā€™t afford that much ;w;

1 Like

I like this set so much, Iā€™m commenting my interest both in geekhack and here. Count me in, my body is ready.

2 Likes

I really, REALLY wanted the original run Milkshake.

Iā€™ve already told my wife Iā€™m buying all of these I need as an English typist. Canā€™t wait for the pricing so I can cry happily, even though my wallet might be crying.

2 Likes

hey :eyes:

6 Likes

We need this <3

1 Like

This sounds like fun. Plus, itā€™s a profile that Iā€™ve not tried yet.

Pretty sure my wallet is about to evaporate. Im stoked for this.

1 Like

You really are a blessing for those whoā€™re looking for ergo set, awesome set as always!

1 Like

Small adjustments tho:

4 Likes

These are so awesome, canā€™t wait. On the Ergo kit, what row profile are the vertical 1.5u keys?