Informal Silent Switch Comparison

I think the question we need an answer to is whether or not the Silent Box Brown switch will start to click like other tactile box switches. That sort of ruins the silence…

1 Like

I believe the click issue is only with the tactile box switches. I have some ancient greys and they dont click at all

Box Browns are tactile and my understanding is the click effects all of the tactile eventually (violet, brown, hako, orange) but it is also possible that they quietly fixed this issue after the fat stem issue.

I really like box switches, not trying to throw shade. Whenever I type on my wife’s box violets I enjoy it, I am just waiting for the clicks…

1 Like

I forgot they made a silent brown. You are right, it would be pointless to silence the stem if the actuating green nub makes a click.

I have noticed that some of mine do have a light clicking sound. It wouldn’t be enough to bug my coworkers (about as loud as a stock Gateron silent brown), but if you want a truly quiet board for yourself I don’t think I’d recommend them unless you’re okay with lubing the box parts / leaf, perhaps periodically.

That said I kind of like the sound they make, and they’re more satisfying in actual typing than under close analysis.

1 Like

That’s exactly right. My BOX Browns make what you could call a clicking noise in conjunction with other sounds while typing, but it isn’t nearly as loud as something like BOX Jades. So it’s a more muted click.

When you scrutinize the BOX Brown, you’ll find this problem and that. But the actual typing experience is fine, including the sound. It is as loud as other mechanical switches, but you knew that coming in. BOX Browns seem to have been made with the typing experience in mind, and not the individual performance of each switch.

Old post, but was wondering what the collective thinking is with silent linears that use gasket style dampers fitted on the stem sliders versus those that have them integrated instead. Is one design “better” than the other?

1 Like

Think it was @Deadeye 's serikos that the gasget could slip of if lubed on it.
My bad, it was @pixelpusher

1 Like

I personally don’t like the reduced travel and the fact that they come off fairly easily.

They’re decent silent switches, but I don’t think it would take much work to come up with a vastly superior implementation. It’s probably hard to r&d something that has to appease such a wide audience and then put it through millions of press tests. But even on paper, the design seems weak.

2 Likes

Interesting info. I was just curious about the idea of being able to silent a non-silent switch, on demand. But if it’s more trouble than it’s worth, sounds like, I’ll just keep my distance from this rabbit hole. Thanks for sharing.

Why not qmx clips?

1 Like

trampoline mod - measure the distance from actuation to bottom out, fill the distance in between with rubber sheet discs cut via 2mm hole punch from hard rubber, epdm etc. :wink:

(thats what I do because I like short travel switches and silencing the downstroke happens automatically, the upstroke can be silenced via QMX clips)

2 Likes

@Deadeye Would like to know the difference between OEM Outemu Silents and Silent Sky stems!

I’m curious about this too. I can tell you that Silent Sky V2’s are very different from U4’s, but those are the only two I have personal experience with. Probably the best English-speaking person on Earth to ask about this is the man himself, Paul - or u/hbheroinbob on reddit.

Send him a PM with your question, and he can likely give you all the details. Paul (aka Gazzew) is the guy responsible for bringing Outemu’s boutique stuff state-side, and he’s also worked with them in terms of improving / designing switch components.

Thanks!

I am using some cherry silent blacks. To be honest, haha, I kinda like them for being heavy and sandy. I think the sandy feeling and heavier springs gives a very substantial feel to me.

Aliaz…initially I think they are not bad, but after trying cherry silent blacks, I think they are meh now. The spring/leaf is just quite pingy.

My next in line will be to try the silent inks! But man…cherry silent black does give a little muted thock to my board which I am really enjoying now. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

oh man, if you have cherry silents and aliaz, you GOTTA combine them. Put the cherry stem in the aliaz housing. It’s my favorite silent switch. Even better with lube and films. It’s basically a cheap MX Zilent.

1 Like

I see! thanks mate for the recommendation! Yeah agree that Aliaz itself is kinda smooth! Just that it is really pingy and crunchy with the springs…the stems are nice though - I like the medium tactility…haha

Gotta try it out sometime soon! thanks! :smiley:

That’s one of the great things about mx-compatible switches; there are so many out there, there’s something for just about everyone. I remember the “standard” (red, black, blue, brown) Kailh switches I had in my tester had a similar “sandy” texture to the key travel that I actually kind of liked.

1 Like

Silent Inks are nice. They have a deep sound to them, are smooth (even better with lube of course), feel a little firmer on the bottom out, and the spring makes them feel unique.

2 Likes