Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

I don’t think I’ve seen the QK65 mentioned on keebtalk yet, but it’s a very intriguing kit~ especially for the starting price of $150. This video by Keybored does a really good job diving into what it offers.

More info here: https://alkaline-sting-1d3.notion.site/QK65-Sale-Info-updating-176f4c918f5440fcb2aa32126231d588

9 Likes

1 Like

Great find. I think most buyers will spend all the money saved on accessories. Smart move by Qwertykeys.

1 Like

I think I’m going to take a shot at this! Seems almost too good to be true tbh

1 Like
4 Likes

I wonder what are the “Cherry MX Milky” switches available as one of the options

Maybe this? https://twitter.com/cherrymx/status/1496874316524359684

Milky used to refer to Cherry White switches, but it is not clear in the description.

2 Likes

While fetching a link to some colorful stabs, I happened to notice Morgrie are in the process of making a very robust switch puller.

High strength design so that the switch puller will never be deformed

You can use this switch puller for a lifetime

Now that’s marketing that speaks my language. Time will tell how accurate that is, but I love to see them even aiming for it.

I wonder how long it will be before hardened pullers like this one or the titanium one from Wuque are totally commonplace… I give it six months to a year.

So, while I think the Morgrie one is interesting for what I think it might mean for the winds of change in the hobby, I think Wuque’s is a bit more sensible. For starters, it’s only fifteen bucks as opposed to seventy - and it also has no springs, screws, or moving parts to lose.

On the other hand, it could conceivably succumb to metal fatigue some day - which is a non-issue for the Morgrie - and if a spring or screw does eventually give up the ghost, they’d likely be replaceable. There’s also the lux factor, and how it looks a bit like a compass; you know this thing is going to live on some fancy, minimal desks.

3 Likes

Lifetime… Hmm yeee… But I do like that u can replace the lower part of it when half the lifetime is done.

1 Like

Looks promising.

The newer Rama one is actually good. It’s 100% better than the first version he had.

3 Likes

Didn’t encounter any significant deformation with my cheap basic switch puller (the metal one with the green silicone).

So for me this is just another glorified fancy accessory like aviator/coiled cables.

Wake me up when they’ll find a way to pull out stubborn switches without deforming them.

1 Like

I probably lack finesse, but I’ve bent nearly all the pullers I’ve used so far. I guess the Wuque one has fared a little better, but does not fill me with confidence that I will not bend the thin tips.

I suppose in the end the overall design of having to slip between the plate and the switch is inherently going to yield a weak spot.

I, for one, would be willing to give these a shot. Making the tips replaceable is a great idea. Much like some types of ceramic tweezers.

1 Like

I feel like I’m going to use switch pullers and have to constantly rebend them back into shape for my entire life lol

I’ve accepted it. I think it would be hard to find enough rigidity and required flexibility while being able to fit in rows of switches. It’d be great if we find a solution so I can finally tell people,

“back in my day…”

Edit: or hey, we can move away from the mx switch design (except the cruciform) to something that could make for better switches

4 Likes
4 Likes

$99 for a full base kit?? Throwback.

1 Like

After I got the worthless RAMA puller I got me a 2 dollar DIL-extractor that just works. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Well heck, I told someone yesterday the set was hard to find. Happy to be wrong there.

Nov. 2023 :dizzy_face:

I’m going to take the chance that they’ll ship out in Jan of 2024 and I’ll be able to pick up one of the several hundred extra base sets for $10 more

3 Likes

This should be my first GMK set, LETS GO!

3 Likes