Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

Fairly detailed look (and brief comparison to GMK WOB) by Alexotos

2 Likes

Great review video.

• Legends look crisp and consistent. Symbolic mods tops GMK WoB mods anyday for me.
  • Font departs from GMK/ePBT/CRP font but likable and more modern looking.
  • Color is charcoal black, not ink black like GMK WoB.
  • Texture hard to tell but looks similar or slightly rougher compared to ePBT.
  • Thickness was also hard to tell. Saw only one frame w/flipped keycap that looked slightly thinner than ePBT.

Having used both charcoal and ink black keycaps, I prefer ink black set so I hope they do an ink black set in the future. Getting a quality doubleshot PBT mold is the best part.

3 Likes

New keyset on NovelKeys today.

Pink-and-purple PBT Cherry profile caps in stock:

Plates in carbon fiber, brass, and copper (polycarb, too, as a replacement) also available for the NK87:

6 Likes

Am I correct in thinking the NK87 Aluminum edition is top mounted where the Entry edition is tray mounted?

2 Likes

Not sure if I’ll jump on this particular set but I really like those nav cluster legends. The home/end/pgup/pgdn icons are just perfect.

1 Like

I think both of them have some amount of attachment to the bottom case, with the aluminum one also mounting to the top like the NK65. The NK87EE’s top attaches via clips around the edge, unlike both versions of the 65 and the aluminum 87 which have the pcb/plate sandwich screwed into the top (and then also to the bottom).

So, I guess “tray mount” would be an accurate label for the 87EE - but I’m not sure “top mount” is a complete description for the aluminum version because the pcb/plate assembly also screws into the bottom case. It’s like top and tray together. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s some assembly info for the various NK boards here.

Edit: IIRC the 65’s can be assembled in a top-mount-only configuration - I seem to remember someone shaving-off the bottom standoffs and just friction-fitting the bottom half on. It’s probably possible to do something like that with the 87 Alu but IDK if it would be worth it.

Edit edit: lol yep, it was a Keybored video.

3 Likes

NK65 Superuser Edition is in-stock today:

https://novelkeys.com/collections/frontpage/products/nk65-superuser-edition

This is a version of the NK65EE styled to match KAM Superuser; a dark smoky cool-grey case with blue-green / turquoise stripes silk-screened along the back and bottom.

Worth noting; this is the updated case design with brass thread inserts. :+1:

5 Likes

Relating to mechanical keyboards, this reminds me of this video I came across the other day. Interesting watch!

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I missed the KS but I’m in after it goes on sale afterwards. I can use it with the MouSTer on my old Atari, and on my modern mac and pc!

QK65 GB is today! I think I’m gonna wait for r2 and possibly trade for one, with cheaper shipping.

https://www.qwertykeys.com/products/qk65

4 Likes

Snap! Only an hour and a half to decide what color I want…

Ha, just kidding - I baulked at the shipping too.

Did the price drop to $100?

Yup. I think the aftermarket will go like this in the span of maybe (1 - 1.5 years)

Stage 1: Flippers for $250+

Stage 2: People start to sell, but still want money back so $190+

Stage 3: Few months from arrival, 25% of not-likers sell for retail (CONUS shipping yay)

Stage 4: QK65, starts to go for lower than retail 120+

Stage 5: Becomes common, becomes kinda like Portico in terms of stock + sellers

No PCB and Plate :face_with_monocle:

Screenshot 2022-03-30 1.41.57 PM

That’s one way to drive down apparent cost. :laughing:

Summary

I also think they’ve hosted their site on a Raspberry Pi 2, because that sucker is not responding at all right now. :ghost:

Nope, the problem is on my end.

3 Likes

I wanted to get White/Purple combo for my son’s fiancée (he proposed just two weeks ago) but it got sold-out while I was checking out and had to settle for White/Gold. Nuts.

If anyone from Qwertykeys is reading this and can change back case cover color to purple, I’d appreciate it. My order number is #qwerty-21945.

4 Likes

Yeah, I was 100% sold on the Green Gold, but it was gone when I checked in 3 minutes after the hour. Ah well, I guess I saved some money.

1 Like

I don’t need another one

But hey if you missed the last couple of rounds or were holding out for a different selection of colors - look what’s around the corner!

Seriously I want like six of those case colors.

1 Like

Oh wow, no kidding. Slate grey, Pale Turquoise, Haven Blue, and Mint Chip are appealing to me a lot.

1 Like

Will we be seeing bridal keyboards? :crazy_face:

1 Like