Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

That’s WILD. Funky and fresh – finally.

1 Like

MK (MechanicalKeyboards.com) has their own branded switches now. As usual with the site smaller numbers are expensive but approach normal the closer you get to a full-size keeb’s worth of switches.

Not sure who makes these, but check out that big ol’ bump.

4 Likes

DSS Easter is on sale at Novelkeys for $109. That’s a steep discount. If you’ve ever wanted to try DSS, it might be a good fit for you.

Seriously impressed with their customer service once again. When I saw it on sale today after buying it just a week ago, I asked for a price adjustment and was reimbursed 2 minutes after sending the email.

4 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 11.50.29 AM

This business with the legs having that extra material, is there a name for this?

I’ve noticed it’s more the thing now, but dude it makes swapping switches a hulk smashing experience sometimes. I’ve torn up more switch tops than I’d like to admit. I usually end up clipping them.

1 Like

Reminds me when I installed Gateron Yellows KS8 into an XD87 kit.
The KS8 have bigger than usual legs and the XD87 PCB seems to have smaller holes than usual.

Wasn’t a pleasant experience.

2 Likes

I think “splines” is the word; I think the idea of having a thinner shaft with splines as opposed to a thicker shaft is that the splines can theoretically be Hulked-through with less consequences, thus making the switch fit tightly into a wider range of boards. It’s a toss-up for me whether I’d rather have that or pins that have play in some PCBs.

1 Like

Not sure how legitimate this is, but this macropad looks pretty appealing for the price if all is true. VIA ready with the firmware seemingly downloadable from the product page. Looks cool

https://www.doiokb.com/product/doio-16键-设计师小键盘-三旋钮-客制化-机械键盘-自定义-kb16-01/

Interesting, I saw this show up on Etsy and kind of got a sketchy vibe off the listing. Even though the pad does seem pretty neat from a feature perspective.

Clearly whoever is listing it on Etsy are hoping you don’t find the Doio site.

2 Likes

Suprised it’s a yellow-pink theme, not stricker

Fortinite Gamer Noises

3 Likes

The Technical Support page is filled with Lorem Ipsum :grimacing:
The product did look interesting, I liked the gameboy keychain thingy
https://www.doiokb.com/technical-support/

1 Like

I wonder why NK_ keeps using this design and not move on to a true top mount, maybe it sounds worse when it’s a real top mount?

Looking at the design they could have made it a real top mount, hell if I had access to the CAD files I could do it myself.

I own an NK65EE and quite like it but I think it would have been better as a top mount.
It may be possible to mod an NK65EE to a top mount or even gasket with a custom 3D printed bottom part and plate, I may try to mod mine in the future.

1 Like

Keybored made a video about top-mount modding the NK65EE a while back:

He did this with the alu plate version but I think it should still work with the newer poly plates.

Cool video, I was thinking about a less destructive way and 3D printing a bottom part along with a plate, and using some of the plate holes to connect the bottom piece.

2 Likes

I think an aftermarket plate solution for this would be really cool - especially if it could be done in a few different materials. I’d love to put a little more pep in the step of my R1 EE.

1 Like

This is one of my go to threads to see what’s new. Maybe we should take out the year from the title and make it more “permanent”.

2 Likes

Wholeheartedly agree. It’s bad for my wallet but hey…

I’ve actually designed and produced a CF plate for my NK65EE, didn’t use it in the end due to a change of plans.
I’d say it’s 98% accurate, works well nonetheless.

Don’t know about the legality of releasing this file but it can certainly be modified to achieve top mount.

Here’s my original design:

Originally I wanted to design a custom bottom piece too, and try making it gasket mounted, on theory it should be possible, I can design a custom bottom piece that would accommodate gaskets, only issue was the PCB.

I wanted to use the Tester68 pcb as it has very small dimensions, and it’s wireless so no USB port will interfere with the gasket mount movement.

Project didn’t see the daylight so far.

Here’s a quick edit to show it will might look:

6 Likes

Interesting, I have this question too. Monokei has said they won’t be releasing the Hidari plate files, but I am wondering if I can legally get a CF plate made for myself by creating a plate file based on the plate that came with the board.

I’m fine with that. Changed!

1 Like

For anyone interested, there seem to be a few GB spots left for Supernova:

https://charue-design.com/products/supernova-gb

The half-WKL is a unique look, and overall the board seems like a great value (in the current world conditions) for $415–$500.

4 Likes