Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

If they run the gmk set, i’m down for it

1 Like

Wow… I’d be totally lost on how to use it (I’ve no clue on using any ortholinear keyboards). But, I have to say, from an aesthetics standpoint that things is a gorgeous piece of art.

1 Like

I lost the keyboard resolution yesterday when I bought an HMKB because I couldn’t wait for mine to arrive :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Oh hey look what’s available now:

BOX Mute Jade

I know there have been a few conversations here about dampened / muted / silenced clicky switches - this looks to be another of very few options in that curious realm. I’m very interested to see how NK_ approached this one; believe it or not I’ve had at least two requests for a switch along these lines when doing builds for people.

4 Likes

Oh wow this is way heavier than I expected, seems like Kailh’s second heaviest clicky switch after the Navies, hope this will track attention, I’d love to get muted BOX Whites.

I know nothing about muted box jade but I don’t trust stat on novelkey website anymore because the last time I checked, they said cherry brown bottom out at 55g and gateron brown bottom out at 65g :sweat_smile:

Tbf they probably use whatever they get from the manufacturer, and it wouldn’t be the first time the listed weights from a manufacturer didn’t match up to others testing

Yeah that’s pretty much it, strangely Kailh is the one who isn’t accurate for some reason.
BOX Pinks and Whites are rated 55g bottom out, Jades are rated 65g, yet comparing them against each other (just pressing them against another, after the clickbar of course) the pinks seem to be the same force as the Jades rather than the Whites.

I checked a couple of other places that sell hyperglide brown, NK is the only vendor that listed 55g bottom out. probably not manufacturer’s fault on this one

I bought some of these, and I’m fully prepared to be filled with regret, but I’m so danged curious. If these could be like the light click of the old Alps switches that would be great.

I also plan to take it apart and photograph so it can be seen exactly how the click dampening is employed.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t get my hopes up to much on that front TBH. It’s a thin clickbar in Kaihl VS a wide click leaf in ALPS slamming against the housing to produce the click. Just the surface area of the click mechanism kinda ensures a different click sound. Not to mention the difference in plastics they’re hitting since all SKCM ALPS clickys that are lauded have ABS housings vs the nylon (I think) of Kaihl bottom housings.

1 Like

Hopes… dashed. :rofl:

1 Like

Sorry not trying to be that guy, just wanted to put it out there in case it would be a make or break thing for you with them. Try to help you guys out from spending on something you may not want.

No, don’t worry about it. I’m pretty realistic when it comes to switches. There’s just not a lot of real estate there to be making any wild swings in design. So anything “new” is going to be some variation on an existing theme.

Which isn’t to say someone could come up with something revolutionary, but I’d have a hard time telling anyone my needs aren’t met by any of the multitude of switches already available. And I definitely have some favorites.

3 Likes

Well that was something I didn’t see coming. Given that I’m using Box Jade’s now I have to see / hear / feel these for myself… Ordered.

(Sheesh my wallet is taking a beating this weekend…)

3 Likes

I’m curious to how a muted clicky is like.

1 Like

Only a click, muted top out n bottom out

1 Like

Wait has there been confirmation of this? I was really hoping that the click itself was dampened…

I dont think anything about its dampening has been confirmed, but its labeled as a clicky switch so I don’t think there will not be a click

I’m hoping they haven’t tried to do too much to the click itself. I’d think trying to do something to click bar could cause some issues with travel, timing, etc.

Would seem counter-intuitive to have a “non-clicky” clicky switch, right? :wink:

1 Like