Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

my thoughts exactly

Still has a click but not as loud

1 Like

This video seems like a decent sound test. Sounds like the click itself is muted.

4 Likes

this sounds like what you were thinking of making

4 Likes

Ah good one. Bookmarked.

Yup, that’s pretty much it. It’d be cool if it could crawl more sites, specifically the smaller shops, but nonetheless love it and appreciate the heads-up.

1 Like

Wow - useful site. Saved.

(Wonder if someone could take the store / vendor list and add it to this site…)

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 2.03.36 PM

Dang, this thing does look pretty neat…

An Optimus Prime themed one might be fun.

5 Likes

Seems like a well thought out modular implementation. The design is extremely ambitious, but even at the estimated $300 price range, I’m skeptical of the final results. Wouldn’t this be very expensive to bring to market in small numbers? Curious to see where this goes.

2 Likes

Look again. The $300-$400 is only for the main “Core 01” part of the board. If you get everything it’s looking like it would be around $800.

1 Like

Well, that would make more sense. Ha.

Looks like HIBI is ready to make some keyboards after the split from Rama

https://twitter.com/hibi_mx/status/1484283700175319042?s=20

5 Likes

Gateron’s first new linear in 2022 - Oil king

2 Likes

I saw these and the materials have me intrigued as to how they sound and feel. I just don’t know that they $0.65/switch intrigue me.

1 Like

Yeah, nylon pa66 reminds me of frog switches, which were quite nice. But the springs are too heavy and too long for me. The price also put me off.

1 Like

100%. Long springs I can get behind (and are actually some of my favorites) but that bottom-out rating is way too heavy for my tastes. I think needing a spring swap for my preferences + the price is enough to sway me away from these.

1 Like

The name makes me think, “Oh yea, Aqua King?! Check THIS out! Oil is slicker than water! Now what!?”

The description makes me think, “Ink Black, but with KS-3 top and a weirdo spring” - 20mm long like most slow-curve springs but a weight increase of 25g from actuation to bottom-out? That puts it straight into fast-curve territory as far as I can tell… which actually makes this switch interesting to me. Dangit… I was ready to pass on these as Inks with a less smooth top, but now that I look more closely, that spring has my curiosity.

For comparison; CJ’s and regular Ink Blacks have a weight increase of only 10g between actuation and bottom-out, and even the “bouncy” Marshmallows have 7 less than the OKs at 18g. Just about all the way at the other end of things, Halo Trues have a whopping 35-40g delta between actuation and bottom-out, depending on who you ask.

I always liked the idea of Marshmallows, and while I think they are very nice switches with a great spring, they didn’t quite have the bouncy experience I was looking for. By the same token - while the Halo True spring is a fantastic illustration of what a “fast-curve” is, they might be a bit much for many typists. A less intense version of that flavor - say, something in-between the Trues and the Marshmallows - is something I wouldn’t mind to have around.

Edit: to mock-up a vague approximation of this switch, I put together an Ink Black bottom, a Halo Clear spring (which has a delta of 23g between the stated actuation height and bottom-out in its own switch; close to the OK’s 25g delta, and not too far from the overall weight either), a Gat linear stem (happens to be yellow), and a KS-3 top which I’m pretty sure is Nylon (a branded polyamide plastic) - PA66 being a type of that.

Not too surprising, there’s a little more “swish swish” noise of the stem moving against the top housing than you’d get with an Ink Top, but it’s far from feeling scratchy. I’m not totally sure what the point of the top/bottom combo is about; if Inks were too expensive for someone I’m not sure OKs would be sufficiently cheaper, and I’m not sure there’s any positive benefits other than cost savings there.

Of course that’s all conjecture, but I still think the spring is the interesting part.

2 Likes

Yeah, good point. They have the standard 2mm operating distance based on the force curve graph. And you usually wouldn’t expect a 25g actuation-bottom out gap from a 20mm spring. I am not sure if the internal housing or the stem is different from a typical gat.

1 Like

The Oil Kings come pretty heavy factory lubed from what I’ve seen, so I guess the switch lives up to it’s name.
Not a fan of this release but I guess it has a market?

2 Likes

There’s some interesting stuff going on here:

Obsidian Pro Switches now comes with an all-black spring, improved top housing material, and cushioned top housing rail for smoother keypresses.

4 Likes

I actually ordered some a few days ago; I’ll let you know if there’s anything fun going on in there.

6 Likes