Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

The color choices they made with that set are baffling. It doesn’t surprise me that it didn’t sell well and I’m sure all the folks who spent the full price on it are probably not to amused either.

3 Likes

You know the color scheme is bad if we’re all here trying to decide if a full MT3 set is worth the $25…

4 Likes

If you already have a bunch of MT3 sets they will probably mix&match with some of them. :thinking:

The alphas could probably work with Camillo mods, but I think I’ll save my money this time. They can’t all be hits, right?

1 Like

I’m grabbing one purely for sound tests.

Once I finish lazily building my little recording booth, I’ll be systematically recording every switch in my collection with a variety of keycaps on top; I’d been trying to decide which MT3 set was un-cool enough to potentially sacrifice to the occasional angry stem - this one’s perfect, ha.

If I crack a few in the name of cataloging some Kailhs, I won’t feel sad about it, and the community will get another point of reference.

6 Likes

Playkeyboard is doing a Group buy for Hammer x CRP R5 caps. Not as many base options as the drop R4 (notably missing is the Peacock Base and Desko Color kit), but still some nice options.

The new MX Clears will be prelubed with Krytox according to Ars Technica.

Cherry, however, opted for a general-purpose lubricant from Krytox called GPL 205 GRADE 0 Grease, a common mechanical-switch lubricant, especially for linear switches. Cherry’s so-called “high-precision automated process” is likely more efficient than the dipping process mtl used 11 years ago. Further, Cherry claims the process helps ensure the switch’s durability claim of 50 million presses. Self-hacked Frankenswitches don’t have such durability claims.

7 Likes

Bauer Lite updates:

3 Likes

Excited to see them. The colors sound really good. Has your avatar always been pixelated? Lol. I thought my mobile connection was too slow to load the full res image.

1 Like

oh yeah it has always been that way :rofl:

4 Likes

Kono finally cuts the price on Amethyst. Still pricy though…

2 Likes

hey… it’s a start! I really like the dark base. The light is so close to the Cannonkeys Sugarplum which I own.

1 Like

Hah! That’s the keyboard equivalent of the old “he’s got a face made for radio” joke.

2 Likes

This is normally $200 on Aliexpress, can’t believe the price is so low. If only I didn’t hate 64 key 60 percents.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Prevailing consensus on best stabilizer was screw-in. What happened? Are TX clip-in stabilizers as good as screw-ins? If so, what made the difference? Plastic clip-insert?

I think it’s just that some of the cheaper hotswap boards only allow plate mount stabilizers. As you might imagine, the stock plate mounted stabilizers perform very poorly. This seems like a good alternative. I believe gateron and zeal also released plate mounted options in the past year or so as well.

1 Like

It has more to due with the performance of the stab itself than it’s mounting method. In my experience, TX stabs take way less modification to tune than a Durock for instance. They also seem to hold that state longer before having to do any touch-ups, if any. They remind me of the pre-retooled GMK stabs when they were king of the mountain. I also wonder if clip-ins have been rising in popularity in general due to the prevalence of gummy o-ring mounted 60/65%'s (thanks to the open sourcing of the bakeneko platform).

5 Likes

The TX stab stems actually have dampening material where the wires go, which helps a lot with ease of tuning.

5 Likes

This bit pushed me over the line. I’m going to give TX stabs a try. Thx!

5 Likes