Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

Well, it’s really the only things they have in stock. Omnitype is a pretty big name in the group buy game, but they don’t sell much else. So, they’re discounting the things they have in stock. I’m waiting to see what that Norse one says on day 11. Looks like it says “Buy a Norse Standard kit, get ?% off of ??”

That’s true. They really didn’t get into hosting the buys for up and coming Chinese companies (like CannonKeys with Wuque for instance) that did a lot of volume, and didn’t do many collabs. They mostly focus on sets designed by them or a small pool of GMK designers they help bring the product to market, and it’s unfortunate that the run on GMK stopped this year.

Whoa. Holy hell that’s amazing. There’s so much to freaking unpack here.

3 Likes

I’m glad they finally showed complete details! It’s a very novel product. I hope it feels and sounds as nice as they make it seem. All I know is that whenever I have an RGB keyboard, I generally turn off the leds after about 3-4 min of messing with them. Maybe that’s because I need something fancier, or maybe I dont really need LEDs on something that I dont look at while using. :man_shrugging: We shall see

3 Likes

A display as a keyboard…sounds like it would be mediocre at both. It’s not exactly ergonomic to be looking at the screen. It would probably be super distracting if you’re actually trying to use the keyboard as a keyboard. It seems like an interesting typing experience, but not a fan of the sound and the typing experience is probably too harsh for my personal preference.

My main concern though…is how frequent you will need to clean that.

2 Likes

That’s fair. Plus I guess you’re sorta committed to those keycaps and profile which don’t sound or look too much fun. I could see a modest graphic or animation though. Maybe a vendors logo or programming some sort of dark/light modes.

Seems like it could be great for folks that routinely use complex software; each suite could have a shortcut underlay, like a modern version of those plastic mats with shortcuts printed on them that some folks put over their keys.

3 Likes

I’m not super sure about that - unless they have eye tracking, it will be hard to line up portions of the screen to keys.

It’d a hit if the LED backpanel was able to project legends onto top surface of keycaps. I don’t think it does.

1 Like

no, but i believe the software does have a customized section where you can place legends properly into the layout. The screen seems to have a good enough display that you can place white legends on top of whatever background and they show up pretty well. The keycap/switch plate assemble appears to be crystal clear. It looks like the sensors and sliders are in the East and West of the cap/switch and have very minimal footprint.

It’s a really cool idea, but I’ll definitely wait to hear from a true keyboard community member about how it really feels compared to what we are currently used to.

4 Likes

Just needs a lot of lights, lenses, tubes, and sweat. Call it “Project” Project.

2 Likes

I don’t see the appeal, I also don’t find the main goal to be well executed.

But hey, it’s something different, so we’re gonna have to see how it will turn out.

The thing I’m wondering about about is the sliders in the top assembly that is promoted as easily removable and swappable. Are they serviceable? If something goes wrong with one or it’s scratchy, can I fix it? Or do I need a new top?

1 Like

One day only, amazing price on GMK Retrocast.

If you’ve been waiting on this set…

2 Likes

sheeesh! I always regret paying full price for extras :frowning:

独具创新 TTC发布高铁式结构机械轴 - 哔哩哔哩 (bilibili.com)

3 Likes

This seems exciting, but also (potentially?) more of a pain to lube. We’ll see! Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I’m firmly in the camp of DCX (v2) and NK Cherry are legitimate (these are the only two I’ve tried extensively).

The quality x excellent kitting x reasonable cost genuinely put GMK to shame. If you see a sale for a colorway you like, I wholeheartedly recommend going for it. The new DCX sets have squarely surpassed modern GMK, which is likely suffering from quality loss (more frequently, it seems) compared to prior years due to scale and pressure to clear out back log (I’m being speculative, but it seem logical enough).

9 Likes

I agree that DCX is on par with GMK. Got my Jasmine set last week and I’m sold. I wish there more more designers/better colorways. Just takes time, I suppose.

NK Cherry sound and feel so nice. Again, waiting for some more interesting colorways.

3 Likes

Well that’s competitive market in action ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s good that the market is now getting filled with keycaps vendors, DCX, PBTFans, GMK.

Even the cheap double shots you can get on Aliexpress are quite good, I got a $20 WOB set and although I don’t have any GMK to compare, the set is quite impressive by itself in terms of legend quality and evenness, and I’m pretty picky about it.

At this rate it’s not going to be long before the pricing will drop significantly.