Kayak - A 65% DIY Keyboard

Does anyone know exactly what kind’s of nuts are used in the photos? The bolts and the nuts are the same link.

I had trouble finding metric screws that would fit well in my case locally. While they suggest using m2.5 machine screws and .4mm bolts of the same diameter, I found that US screw sizes #3 and #4 should work, I ended up using #4 machine screws and nuts fit fairly well (if a little tight), and my local hardware store had lots of options to choose from. I brought the case with me to the store to try and find things that fit.

I wonder if threaded inserts would work as an alternative to having screws protruding from the bottom of the case with exposed nuts holding them on. https://www.ezlok.com/e-z-knife-inserts-for-hard-wood

Just got the parts I needed in! Just some stuff so you guys know, the whitefox pcb officially fits and tested! Secondly, the bolts mentioned above are a slight bit too long and you will need to grind them down just a little bit so that they don’t hold up the case. If anyone has any questions about the build, feel free to pm me

3 Likes

I looked for all sorts of fasteners to look the most elegant and didn’t have much luck. I admit that the fasteners are the biggest weakness of this project and hope to find a good alternative myself.

Thanks for sharing your findings… I admit the fasteners I used are pretty lame. I would love to find some threaded barrel type countersunk fasteners for this.

Maybe something like this? 1/2" 12.7MM Mini Chicago Screw Black Oxide

You would have to adjust the borders though, since the head is 7.2mm in diameter.

1 Like

Any updates for this case? Would love to have one cut in acrylic.

amazing. interested in doing a wood project!

1 Like

Hey guys,

Quick update on my kayak. I can confirm that the Whitefox PCB does work for the kayak case. Also, you will need those rubber bump on feet not just for the bottom but also for tensioning the pcb so that it holds it up to the plate. The acrylic plate will always be too thick so most switches will not fit so be careful when soldering! If anyone has any questions about making a kayak, feel free to DM me anytime and I will get back to you asap.

Here is the board if anyone is wondering what another wooden kayak looks like:

Thanks!

5 Likes

Good to know!

1 Like

This looks so good! No updates on v3 and/or availability of files? I guess that I could have a plate cut from metal or does the thickness of the plate differ from 1.5 mm due to the choice of material for the rest of the case?

A bonus would also be some ISO support in v3.

1 Like

Been working on revisions; including a “Ponoko” ready file you can send out.

Correct, if you do this, you will might need to compensate with an additional layer of a 3mm, but I think you might be able to get away with it.

1 Like

Looks great man! I haven’t even gotten that version of the Kayak made yet. :blush: On your version I made the slanted feet wider specifically for those bumpons. :+1:

And same as you, I used bumpons on my PCB to hold the plate up.

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

I am not really feeling the DSA Granite on the wooden kayak and I’m looking for a new keycap set to put on it, does anyone have any suggestions?

GMK Chocolatier?

I’ve only used my JTK White on Black set just because the contrast is so nice. I haven’t tried any other sets simply because I have old box switches on mine that I don’t want to possibly ruin another set.

GMK Camping might look good with the novelties.

Nice job on the case! I actually like it a lot better than the Canoe. (I’ll admit that I’m particularly fond of the wood look.) I’m currently in the very beginning of trying to make my first keyboard and I’m definitely a fan of the 65% keyboards. This is one of the best laser cut designs I’ve seen! Any news on when the files will be downloadable again? Totally willing to donate for these great designs!

I’m currently trying to decide between the tada68 and the kbd65. I’m a big fan of the underglow of the kbd65 but I’m also not totally set on it and I’m finding a lot more info on the tada68. Any chance this case would work for the kbd65? I’m fairly capable with CAD software so I might be able to do hole modifications but I’m not sure I want to try much more than that on my first keyboard.

1 Like

Me too! Take my money!

Hello, I’m very happy with your plan, because he’s beautiful and ready to make one. Can you send me a DXF file? I can’t find the file download link.