KBDcraft Adam 60% with a gasket mount LEGO case, QMK/VIAL, hot swappable, RGBs, POM plate & Poron

Just program it to do whatever you want:

https://vial.rocks/

1 Like

Would be great to have a Tsangan layout PCB.

1 Like

That’s why we need VIAL (a QMK-based configurator). Thank you @pixelpusher
Open https://vial.rock with any browser, you don’t even need to install, plug in the cable, and Adam’s map will be automatically loaded.

Got my Adam base kit today and am typing with it now. Overall, really nice. It feels like a real board that you might want to actually use, rather than some kind of novelty. So well done. I’m thinking of leaving some of the flat pieces off of the top bezel and using that space to display some LEGO minifigures.

It’s nice that they include almost everything you would need, including lube and a switch/keycap puller, although I ended up using my own. Not sure what the included face mask was for? I didn’t see any rubber feet for the bottom, unless I missed them, so I supplied my own.

I had some Cherry MX Black switches lying around along with SA Night King, so I put them on the board. Night King unfortunately doesn’t have exactly the right keys for this layout, but it works with a little substitution. I think it looks really good against the white.

I did have a LOT of trouble getting one of the stabilizers to go into the plate for some reason that I still can’t quite figure out, but overall it was enjoyable to put together. You do really need to count the studs and make sure that you’re choosing the right size pieces as you go, though.

By the way, I’m a little surprised that KBDcraft is using the name LEGO since these are not actual LEGO bricks.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to getting mine! I didn’t realize they weren’t actual Lego blocks. How would you rate the quality? I have owned a knockoff set before and it was a bit of a letdown because the bricks didn’t all fit perfectly and some were quite loose. But I also know there is a big community around alternative or “off-brand” Lego pieces now.

The pieces seem pretty high quality as these things go, but they lack any LEGO branding on the studs.

1 Like

Looks kinda cool with these color combinations!
We tried all kinds of bricks from numerous manufacturers including genuine lego and decided to go with the current brick supplier for certain reasons. One, they are technically and qualitatively equivalent to the branded one. Two, we need to keep the price relatively low in order to deliver educational joy to teens and kids around the world. Three, our commercial activity won’t be restricted. The off-brand community is actually very large.

1 Like

Would you share with which one youre gone? I hope for Gobricks or similar :grin:

Your shipment is crazy fast, board arrived today. FInished with some old caps I had lying around.

https://www.keebtalk.com/t/post-your-keyboards/743/3101?u=exen904

Thanks for the mention! I was working on one for a bit during the pandemic but just got way into the rabbit hole for different mounting mechanism. I really wanted to squeeze something within 1-stud width. However, this is nice @BoyU, and you can’t beat that price.

Sorry I haven’t been able to work on keyboard projects this year. Hopefully I will find some time in 2023!

Would you consider adding support for the GH60 in the future? It is open source and widely used. Would love to be able to use @Cipulot’s EC60. A budget Lego Topre board just sounds awesome.

GH60 compatible Case is easy. The plate is actually the soul (Der Wurst im Broetchen). How can we meet up with the whole variants?

If anyone is interested, soundtest from my build with the Kailh Box whites http://www.sndup.net/kmp7

I hope this is allowed here: BoyU was kind enough to offer a 5% discount for my readers. As usual, use the KBDNEWS coupon code at KBDcraft – just like at 85 keyboard shops. :wink:

(I tried to check it, but let me know if this post is against any keebtalk rules, and I’ll take it off.)

2 Likes

I built my kit today with my son. I had him assemble the case as I assembled the plate/pcb unit.

It’s a fun kit. It does sound really good to type on. Vial in the browser has some bugs, especially on the lighting section, so I would recommend using the desktop app. Also the RGB modes don’t exactly line up with the VIAL GUI, but it’s easy to get something you will like. I have it on the random pattern solid color option for that vintage sci-fi vibe :slight_smile:

I was surprised that my GMK ASCII set didn’t have a 2u shift. Now I have to go through my sets to see which ones have 2u shifts. This is the first time I’ve actually ever used the 64 key layout. I like it. No issues whatsoever adapting to the shifted row.

The only problem I have right now is a space bar stabilizer that makes a bit of a rubbing noise, but I’m going to work on it. It’s only a slight annoyance.

11 Likes

Dad and son working on the same project. What a nice moment! Maybe we can do more in the educational direction. Like some entry-level explanation of mechanics and electronics with pictures.

2 Likes

Any hints about what upcoming color options might be? Really thinking about buying bricks for an orange board, but I’d rather buy from you if you’re going to run orange :slight_smile:

Funny, I also built mine today/last night. Such a cute little build, really interested to see the modability. Sounds surprisingly good! Feels great (built mine with mx blacks). The only downside is it’s so light that it slides around a lot on my deskmat. But it will happily make it into my rotation. :slight_smile:

BoyU, perhaps a selfish request: is there any chance to reserve or preorder a spot in future upgrades? Now that you went viral on tiktok I’m worried I won’t be able to actually use the LEGO-ness of the keyboard in the future.

1 Like

Do you also sell keyboards?

Grey :wink:

1 Like