KBDfans HiPro EC Keycaps (Topre)

different doesn’t necessarily mean bad. we’ll have to wait until these start showing up on people’s boards before we’ll know if they’re any good

Same… same. Which is why I ordered them knowing full well how fragile the their other EC set is lol.

True, but I figure most people are looking for a chonky, tall profile PBT cap for their topre boards, and these fit the bill. They do look decently thick. I’m not a fan of the legends, and as I pointed out before, it appears that they may have shrinkage/warping issues. However, I may pick up a set just to feel it on stock topre sliders.

1 Like

Oh I’m definitely sure they fit the bill for most people, but I don’t think it’s beneficial if people think these are the same/similar to OEM Topre Hipro. If people make false comparisons (Topre Hipro must suck because KBDfans hipro sucks) then misinformation could spread.

3 Likes

I think that’s fair.
Full disclosure that I have a set of Hi-Pros and I ordered these because I hope they’re a good option.

What I’ve been wondering about over the past few days is where these protos:
https://kbdfans.com/blogs/news/ec-hipro-keycaps

turned into the set they’re selling. The protos are pretty different from the end product. Did they maybe use actual Topre keycaps to create the original protos and were concerned about lawsuit liability if they sold actual caps by copying the OEM hi-pro caps?

2 Likes

Wow, they look almost nothing alike, unless the renders are just flat out wrong. Still, my biggest gripe is probably the font they selected. The modifiers just look a tad off. Also arrow cluster not being actual arrows is my biggest pet peeve in this hobby.

1 Like

They don’t look very scooped to me like the originals or also the old pictures linked above. Disappointing.

For sure, but given the hype behind the Topre Hi-pro, I was hoping for an accessible avenue to have that experience.

1 Like

Despite all the reasons for which this is falsely advertised as HiPro, I am going to buy a set of those to put on my FC660C. My main painpoint with that keyboard is that it is significantly lower and less inclined than HHKB - this should help that issue and maybe breathe in new life to my Leopold.

1 Like

Some pics from my iPhone

8 Likes

Just a quick update from me: this kinda backfired. I am like 90% certain when I’ve ordered this kit that it didn’t have multiple kits. But as it arrived, turned out I need for second 2.25 shift key add-on kit. So, I’ve ordered that too now and should arrive this week…

I have received these in the mail and my first impressions are they are not good.

1 Like

I don’t necessarily disagree but if you are a person with a Topre keyboard who likes high profile and does not have easy access to either Topre Hi-Pros or MX swapping to SA/MT3/etc do you think they are a good option?

Based off my initial impressions of using it for only a day so far, I’d have to say, no. I don’t think they are a good option. I’ll have a video out at some point covering these keycaps

5 Likes

I agree. Received mine today and have issues with the keycaps being off axis - there is a slight clockwise rotation which is very apparent. Legend consitency is also below par.
Dissapointing.

1 Like

IC for a new set - EC HIPRO RENSO

Quite interesting colourway and legends, no mentioning of any improvements from previous sets though

Exactly. Not buying unless they fix the issues from the previous hipro run.

1 Like

Also KBDfans removed all listings of the previous HiPro sets on the storefront. That does not really inspire much confidence if at all.

I feel kind of strange about this, but I guess inspiration is all over.

What I wish for, though, is URSA support from all places — thank you.

5 Likes