Keyboard Chores: Share your projects!

Ah crap, guess ill just twist off my thing thats been setting then. Looks like extractor set is my only option, as I’ve already given the rubber band a good run. But thank you for letting me know so as I dont waste my time further! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aaaand I was able to get it off with needle nose pliers :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

That’s the way. Always works for me. Glad you got it!

1 Like

Gasket installed! Going to record the changes to typing sound at every step along the way for my realforce mod. Hope it’ll be worth it and provide good insight as to what changes topre sounds!

11 Likes

Well, here’s my first set of chores completed.

Lubed and filmed T1s - deskeys films, 3204 on the sliders and stems, 3203 on the springs.

I tried to up my stab lubing game this time. Stab housing and stem lubed with 206g0, stab wires lubed with super lube. Filled the butts with superlube after assembly. Kind of a cross between the way Minterly and Taeha do things. Thought I’d mix it up. :slight_smile:

Plate is carbon fiber from 1up keyboards, case is a Noxary T60 in hyper red.

5 Likes

Time to install BKE Redux Heavy domes.

13 Likes

Follow up to my silicone mat project.

Silicone mat 2 of 3 done! I have not tried it in my Lubrigante yet since I am still using it as a mold. However I am pleased with the results

It really cut down on some of the echo in my non-lubrigante board pictured above. Sound did not change too much, but it added some nice heft too.

Only issue was that the silicone kinda clung to the sides of the mold, so those parts of the mat were thicker then the rest and I had to cut them off to allow for a better fit.

Pretty fun little project all and all. Not sure I would recommend silicone over foam unless you can get multiple mats like I am doing or if you need something a little more custom. Silicone seems to be just as expensive as laser cut foam, and you still have to do the work. I was gifted the one of the larger sizes in the link below, and I think I could probably do 4-5 mats with ~21 ounces. I originally got this idea from here, and I bet the 7 oz. kit would be enough to do a single board, like a Tofu or similar. At ~13$ USD, this might become a better option than foam.

Cheers!

10 Likes

I would love to try those but I don’t have the balls to buy them.

1 Like

Tried gazzews silent stems in a handful of my switches on hand. Discovering that I may not like completely silent switches. I guess there is a certain something in terms of feel and sound of linears, however subtle, that I missed when using the silents. Helping me appreciate more of the understated subtleties of this hobby.

2 Likes

I essentially had the same experience. The tactility was pretty spot on for what I would want in a tactile, but I’d only want it to be silent in a work setting or with housemates that would kill me in my sleep otherwise, etc.
Looking forward to when the non-silent tactile comes back in stock again… =D (Or is more widely available)

1 Like

Yes. I would agree. They felt good, but left me wanting more with the sound. Then again, I guess that’s it’s job.

:crossed_fingers: Hopefully my alignment is good and everything works!

19 Likes

Annnnnnnnnnd done! Swapped the caps too.
Wanted to get this out of the way before 2021 and I did!
(I did not think I was going to lol)

14 Likes

how are they? was think of maybe getting some for a few of my mod keys.

How is it to type on?

@louuuuuuuu @ddrfraser1 I expected them to be ridiculous and they are. I have some normal Redux ones that I’m going to put into the letters. I will leave them for the modifiers.

Just finished a 12 hour marathon (with breaks of course) of soldering lubing and assembling my Gingham keyboard. It has trash holy pandas and durock stabs. It took me quite a while as this was my first serious soldering project besides a maxkeys falcon macropad I soldered a few months back. Had an issue when first assembling the “case” where something was shorting and the keyboard was unrecognized. after messing with the screws for a bit i realized it was because i forgot to include some nuts that act as spacers and now the keyboard works perfectly. It was a very satisfying feeling to finally have it done.

10 Likes

I’ve been busy collecting for over two years and need some help deciding what to do with my ever growing menagerie of unbuilt customs. Take a look at my high tech spreadsheet and let me know how what you’d do in my shoes. Thanks!

PS: those are v1 zealios, and I’m not in love with top-bump style tactiles. I already have a alu plate in my ca66 built with retooled blacks 3204. I have enough of all these switches for multiple builds. Questions welcome.

1 Like

I put holy pandas in my Sirius POM plate and used silicon O-rings to burger mount the plate. Probably my favorite keyboard ever…

4 Likes

Nice, have you done a build with holy pandas on a stiffer plate to compare? I don’t have any flexy builds yet, and most people say linears are better on pom.