Keyboard Chores: Share your projects!

I think that’s primarily used underneath area rugs to keep them from sliding on the floor. Also, it’s the same material that shipped with the r1 Weaven to prevent the PCB from shorting against the bottom plate.

3 Likes

Finally got around to cleaning up & restoring this old Chicony KB-5160 I’ve had. It originally came with vintage MX whites, but those were horrible switches TBH. Finally decided to just throw some L+F Gat yellows (KS-8s, spring swapped to 62g linear springs). Pretty happy with the outcome, it feels much nicer to use than I thought it would. It has a fairly thick & big steel plate which I was assuming would lead to a super stiff typing experience. Although the plate is just held into the case by 4 fixing pins (2 on either side) & the plastic is thin enough to have some flex. So while it’s not a soft typing experience by any means it does have a little bit of bounce to it which takes the edge off for me. Happy to finally get this one out of the “to do” pile & into the collection!

Edit: Oh yeah I also finally replaced the switch I had acting up in my Sirius while I had my soldering gear out & that is back to 100% now too!

11 Likes

Awesome. Pretty good build quality for a Chicony

2 Likes

That’s freaking sweet. I love the forehead/pen ridge.

4 Likes

Harvesting some Halo Clears to swap in some Black Inks.

5 Likes

I’ve been looking for this deskmat everywhere. How were you able to get one?

3 Likes

Bwahahaha. This one was from an Adorama backorder the finally decided to ship.

2 Likes

nice! really does feel like a limited group buy at this point.

1 Like

I have some black Inks that I need to lube/film and put into something, I just haven’t completely decided which plate and pcb combo to use…polycarb and WT60-D, carbon fiber and AN-C, or brass and AN-C. I already have one super flexible linear build, so I kinda want to try them in the brass plate. I also haven’t had a chance to use 206G0 on anything, so I thought this might be a good opportunity.

I recently bought some T1 switches from PrimeKb and some Koala switches from some place I can’t remember. I used the red T1 stem and spring with the Koala housing - mostly because I like the color combo, but they feel very nice when lubed and filmed. Thinking about putting these in a carbon fiber plate.

That leaves the T1 housing and the Koala stem and spring, which is 62g. I’m thinking about pairing these with the poly plate and the WT60-D.

I think that wraps up all my chores for the moment, unless you count searching for another 60% case.

5 Likes

Ive got a Gingham showing up sometime this week as my first real soldering experience. Ive soldered a macropad a few months back but this will be the first full keyboard I do. Its coming in with some trash pandas I plan on making into holy ones with my halo clear stems. gonna film and lube too of course.

1 Like

Lubed/Filmed Black Inks installed. Man… so smooth.
Need to lube the stabs though. Every time I hit space, it sounds like a bomb going off in comparison, lol.

8 Likes

Yeah I did a recording of the stock sound for this board earlier this week (for build log/comparison purposes as I mod) and, oof, those stabs are somethin’

1 Like

Using the bottom two layers of my Lubrigante to act as a mold for a custom silicone dampener.

My dumbass forgot to check if it was level in the beginning. I tried to be all scientific, and measure the amount of material needed with water as a substitute first. But I don’t have enough hand clamps, and it was too difficult to get the water out. In the end, I had to just free hand pour it. I want to error on thinner more than anything so I think it will turn out ok. Idea is to use this to make ~2-3 dampeners for various Alice type boards.

9 Likes

Waiting for this bad boy to cure, will probably give it around a day to do so. Only thing stopping me from modding my realforce! Agh

1 Like

ah, i hate stripped screws

I no longer dread them since I bought this set though. Very easy to remove even the worst stripped screw. These work well even down to m3 and m2 screws.

7 Likes

T1 and Koala stems are identical save for the color. The “grey T1 stems” that come in Kiwis are the same ones used in Koalas.

Not a chore really but just finished stab tuning and putting on the switches and keycaps for my daughter’s birthday present. NK65 Frost, GMK Peachblossom and NK Creams

7 Likes

Thank you! That’s probably the next step, if supergluing an old screwdriver doesn’t work.

Yeah, that never works. Too much torque. Get the extractor set. It looks like you could also use some pliers in this case. There’s also the rubber band method.

Yeah, I thought that was the case. I guess my brain just tricked me into thinking there was a difference. :upside_down_face: