Mark my words

Just a thread where you can go “Hey, this will probably happen” that’s keeb related…

I’ll start:

An all LY switch… I think it’s a new material and supposedly smooth, and the cream has already done it with POM, who says LY’s not next.

Full UHMWPE switch… This is probably unlikely because it’s a soft material and probably won’t play well with insert and replacing all the time…

Macropad with Huge Knob EDIT Yup. Already exists; my bad.

3 Likes

Well there are a couple stand-alone knobs that are pretty big - like the entire device is just a rotary encoder with a big aluminum cylinder around it.

Haven’t even heard of it yet - but I bet you’re right. Since Creams did the Oops, All POM! flavor, there’s been ever-increasing experimentation with plastics in the space. It’s been trendy to bring-in this or that low-friction plastic that hasn’t yet been squeezed into an MX mold.

Honestly I’m all for it - switches have gotten significantly better in the past few years and I wouldn’t mind one bit to see that continue.

My turn!

At some point someone is going to come out with silenced stabs. Not sure how, not sure when, but the market is ripe for it - overdue, even. @Walkerstop has done a number of pioneering experiments in this realm, and if any given manufacturer were to study his videos on the subject, they’d have all they need to get started.

3 Likes

Custom topre gonna break loose in '22.

6 Likes

Hmm, do you mean stabs that have rubber on the bottom and top like silent switches? Would love to have one of those.

If you mean by silenced as in no tick or rattle, stabs with the “Plastic Insert” in the housing like zeals would be nice in more budget stabs… Had to purchase one of them just because of my ticking issue.

1 Like

Stabs with rubber in the wire housings would be a godsend

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see someone accidentally melt one

I’m pretty sure this is a thing. The knob folk out there are very radical about their knob usage :joy:

2 Likes

You know, he keeps saying “no more –aftermarket– topre housings” It aint aftermarket if he makes the entire keyboard :wink:

3 Likes

Another VIA clone or VIA like UI will come out and we will all switch to that.

1 Like

Isn’t the CU7 a macro pad with a huge knob? there were couple of stand alone knobs IIRC.
Also aren’t the Tangerines UHMWPE housing?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the whole full-UHMWPE thing has already been tested and some have mentioned stick-slip when using those stems in UHMWPE housings that have more than a negligible amount in their composition. Same phenomenon as found in the all-POM cream housings.

2 Likes

Vial exists and I prefer that, even though it’s not as visually clean. (I realize it’s driven off Via code so it’s not like a “new” thing, but it’s pretty great)

2 Likes

2022 Predictions:

1. Given how fast TX stabs and Staebies have sold out, we are going to continue seeing vendors and brands push for the best stock stabs. I have a strong feeling we will see some “best for x profile” lists by the end of the year given that some stab designs create bigger issues with certain caps (epbt and c3 as an example from a few years ago)

2. Keyreative will deliver a bunch of long-awaited sets near the end of summer and it will be a make-or-break situation if quality isn’t improved, especially with doubleshot quality up in the air. Basically, after this they might be basic dye-sub only OR they could be a doubleshot alternative to GMK for those who don’t like cherry profile.

3. The hobby will fully embrace cheaper Chinese pre-lubed switches. Between this and the growing number of solid stock switches (looking at you Gateron Pro and Jwick), switch modding will become less-valued outside of super premium builds.

4 Likes

Yes. Better stabs is something I’d gladly take after my fail with tuning stabs…

2 Likes

Forged carbon fiber keyboard cases.

It actually seems like it would be fairly doable.

4 Likes

More cheap keyboards along the lines of Tes68, alongside the decline of “budget entry enthusiast” plastic boards

1 Like

That’s been my hope :eyes:
Matt over in the 40’s discord is getting ready to roll out an EC minivan, matrix just rolled out a couple of EC boards… Whatever it looks like, I think its right on the horizon.

2 Likes

Definitely doable. If they can do brake levers and derailleur bodies in forged carbon for bikes, they can do keeb cases.

I feel like I’ve even seen one recently, but I could be imagining it.

@smshark All of that sounds spot-on to me, and at very least reflects my own sensibilities when it comes to switches. Most of my personal-use keebs are going to be full of TTCs, but my curio-shelf keebs might have something more specialized.

4 Likes

Did you, by chance watch this video? Because it’s very nearly been my undoing. He makes it look SO easy too and I know it’s not. Because I’m confident I’d end up glued to the garage floor.

2 Likes

Challenge accepted lol. I’m working on Macropad pcb designs.

3 Likes

I knew I’d seen one:

And I hadn’t seen that video yet - why not - another rabbit hole couldn’t hurt…

4 Likes