NCR 80 plastic kit

Yes, Greetech Browns have their fans, it is a fact.

I prefer switches that are even smoother and lighter, even if they have less tactile excitement than with Greetech Browns.

My Cap Browns are being shipped from the U.S., they come in two types. It is said that the Milky Cap Browns are better than the Golden Cap Browns. Better factory-lube in the Milky Browns, less leaf noise. They sound like a lubed tactile.

1 Like

Itā€™s ok you can get your likes here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

While I completely agree GMK quality has taken a nose dive recently, hopefully youā€™ll get lucky. From what Iā€™ve seen these sets that have had QC issues did also have some kits that were perfectly fine as well. IME with recent GMK sets I lucked out on Bleached as my set has yet to yellow at all & LUX came out very good as far as I can tell (my set was fine). Iā€™m thinking GMK is just grabbing whatever plastic they can due to the shortage (not sure if this is still ongoing, but I suspect it is). So the quality still can be there, itā€™s down to luck of the draw right now thoughā€¦

2 Likes

Looks like the pre-orders on ZFrontier for the NCR-80 are sold out, so I guess Iā€™ll have to wait for the next round.

I am opting for the soldered plateless build for now, since I donā€™t have a plateless build, and the soldering should anchor the switches better than plate-less hotswap.

1 Like

Wow this one looks pretty lit!

1 Like

I am using pom plate with gat browns and oh manā€¦I really like the sound and feel of my board!

Think this combo is pretty niceā€¦tactile switches with plastic plates

3 Likes

Since the top case resonates like a drum head, I filled it with 4.5 oz of sticky tack (~$4 worth) which dampened it right up (totally muted when you tap on it), and added a little weight to the build. I plan on putting a layer on the bottom case with foam on top as well (currently just lots of foam).

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice!

It seems like you have some experience with this board now. Yes, it seems like a noisy beast.

I am envisioning a build of soldered plateless PCB-mount with stock SP Star Meteor Orange switches. Since the stock Meteor Orange are fairly loud Brown-like switches, stuffing them into a highly-dampened NCR-80 might be around the best it gets for these.

1 Like

A silicone pour might be in order for this board to easily fill in the air voids. I reached for something quick, but I may try this in the future. Youā€™re build sounds great ā€“ I hope you are able to see it realized.

2 Likes

Be sure not to touch the silicone to the PCB, it will ruin it.

1 Like

As in react to it, or just stick to everything before curing? If the former, I thought that silicone was used as a potting material and protectant for PCBā€™s? Is the type used for case pours chemically different than those products?

I just remembered someone filling his case on deskthority with silicone, the one that you can use for constructions/bathrooms etc. The second day the PCB was destroyed by corrosionā€¦

Honestly the board is fine. If you build it up A-OK, no need for silicone, or caulking, or whatever weird soft and rubbery thing yā€™all want to throw inside :joy:

I ended up going with lubed inks on mine with BSP beige keycaps. All of this has been working and sounding pretty great on this board. Itā€™s not perfect, but Iā€™d already ascribe higher value to it than some of my ā€œnicerā€ boards

4 Likes

If had grabbed one of these Iā€™d keep it loud. Thatā€™s the fun of a big, plastic case. Iā€™m glad TKC has resisted adding foam to the 1800.

The initial sound of the board isnā€™t grating to my ears or anything, but Iā€™m having fun seeing what it takes to change the sound given the immense amount of air in it, lol. I totally get the ascribing higher value thing. I donā€™t know if its the nostalgic looks or the fact that Iā€™m not scared to do whatever I want to it. Most boards Iā€™m too afraid to experiment with, and only deploy a mod if I know it will address whatever lacking feature the board has without damage.

1 Like

From what I hear the next round is going to have a Beige case option, so pretty stoked to get in on that. That paired with some cherry-picked (oh so funny this guy with his puns) Hyperglides/Chinaglides and some OG Doubleshots and i think ill be gold.

5 Likes

Whatā€™s the best way to find out about the next round?

2 Likes

I never thought I would be this excited for beige! That was the one thing I didnā€™t care for in this round.

I guess keeping an eye out on zFrontier forums and the Taobao sheets

I am pretty much a noob on those sites but I will give it a try! You wouldnā€™t happen to have any direct links would you? Thanks!