PGA Profile Keycaps

https://www.mahopacgolfclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/PGA-tour-logo.jpg

3 Likes

Was going to buy a set but decided not to on a few points:

1. No R4 Enter or R4 novelties
  2. No R3 Esc
  3. R3 left, down, and right arrows and R4 up arrow!

Profile and scoops look awesome but I mostly use 40% ortho now and this just won’t work. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a set with better 40% ortho options.

1 Like

Those KLK profile keycaps looks quite nice. Where can I get my grubby hands on them?

I must say that I’m rather tempted by the WoB PGA keycaps that are in GB now

Edit: they’re even cheaper on Taobao

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.34.ccf81b8atjMVOf&id=655542212982&ns=1&abbucket=4#detail

4 Likes

:red_circle:
BUY

button

2 Likes

First Impressions:

• They look and sound amazing
  • Similar sound to MT3 (Maybe even thockier)
  • Deep dish encourages accurate typing and is very comfortable
  • Homing scoops are deeper but don’t differentiate the keys enough since all keys have a decent scoop
  • Should have noticed this when buying, but there is no 1.5 Backspace for HHKB
  • 7u spacebar is quite loud and needs tuning (it is straight as you would expect from ABS, but it is even louder than an SA spacebar) and maybe spacebar foam

Also, I am trying these on switches that I never used before - Anubis Tactiles - and some of the stems seem a little loose. Not bad, they aren’t falling off, but noticeable when slipping the keys on the switches.

Not sure if this is a property of the keycaps or the switch stems since I’ve never used Anubis switches before.

11 Likes

This is awesome!! Could I find out a little more about your experience with PGA and MT3:

• Are there any differences in keycap surface texture?
  • How is the typing experience compared to MT3? Is it fatiguing to type with?
  • How does it fare on an incline (I suppose you’re using the 5 degrees case?)
  • What’s the keycap thickness compared to MT3?
3 Likes

They feel extremely smooth and soft. No texture. Very silky feeling.

They are only about 1-1.2mm thick BUT the double shot inside each key is quite thick and extends 1/3 way down each cap, adding to the overall thickness and weight of the set. This is why space is so loud. Without the extra thickness from double shotting it’s quite hollow.

I have no problems typing on it they have been very comfortable on the 5 degree case. The scoops are really comfy because the ABS feels so soft.

Can’t comment on fatigue as I put them on very fatiguing Anubis switches.

Will post more pics later.

5 Likes

Here are some close ups. The legends are super sharp.

9 Likes

How’s the scoop size? My biggest complaint about MT3 is the scoops feel too small (in area, not depth). HiPro seems about perfect, and SA is pretty good in this regard too.

1 Like

Thank you for such a detailed write-up and pics! Sounds like the PGA keycaps are an overall improvement to MT3 and SA - you make a convincing case to give these keycaps a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

The scoops feel pretty big. I had a TEX ADA set with small scoops and I couldn’t stand them. These feel nothing like that.

@milneraj @keshley

Here is a sound test - they are extremely deep sounding - this with Anubis switches and brass plate in a humble 5 Degree tray mount:

This is a very good sounding keyset.

8 Likes

1 Like

How’s the flipability? Thinking of how an upside down SA r4 can serve as an r2, same with MT3 r3 & r2.

1 Like

They are hard to photograph without a macro lends (iPhone13 Pro can’t ship fast enough), but initial observation is that YES they are flippable.

I think there may be a slight difference, but could be an optical illusion.

They feel fine to type on when flipped, no discernible difference.

4 Likes

Thanks, I guess that makes the base kit pretty 40s viable.

Yes and if you add the cheap novelty kit it supports 12u and 13u 40% layouts with the correct novelty sizes for R3 and the correct shift sizes.

The only issue with this set is that it’s called PGA Sparta, but SPQR is Ancient Rome not Greece :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Temping set. Hopefully another WoB set will appear in the future w/missing R2 BS.

So what we’ve been calling sculpted SA for years has actually been SS the whole time. You know what I can see why we’ve called it sculpted SA… LOL!

edit: Upon further reading sculpted SA was named by SP as the SS tooling was retired. I wonder how much, if any difference there is between the two?