The AF SA Profile - a sorta review

Excellent! That does look great.

Damn I have the brown set coming in and just realized that the only 7u spacebar is yellow as well. Think it’ll look a bit out of place on my beige NCR-80 but hopefully the sound improvements on my Clickiez will make up for it.

Maybe someone who bought the “Rome” colourway with an extra 7u spacebar can help you out. I think the shade of red is pretty similar from the product photos.

Fingers crossed for me that they’ll release a spacebar pack for the brown colourway at some point.

2 Likes

Don’t worry it’s a nice shade of yellow and will match the brown very well, I was thinking of geting the set too…

1 Like

Hello,

Apologies, as I was lurking, and saw your post. Not sure if you realise, but one or two of the sellers of the Rome set are selling a set of just six space bars. They are that lovely shade of red, and one is the 7U. I’m not going to try to post a link, as I’ve just registered and, on most forums I’ve joined in the past, seeming to spam product links is somewhat frowned upon… but one of the sellers is “KeyPro Store” (AliExpress).

If it’s not what you were after, or if I’ve replied to the wrong post, my apologies. Trying to navigate a new forum on a phone screen is always likely to end in tears.

J.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m pretty sure we are allowed to post links here. I guess PGA profile is the same as AFSA?

1 Like

They do look awfully similar…

Got them, thank you !

Not the same, PGA is thicker, different molds. Height /angles were a bit different too

1 Like

I sold my PGA set so I could not compare them when I got my AFSA set. The PGA set felt softer to me, more rounded. But they do look awfully similar. Glad you could confirm they are different.

Also, somewhat hilariously there is already an AFSA clone of the Rome set.

1 Like

Here’s a couple of AS FA on the number row alongside MT3:

7 Likes

Definitely more scoop, I need to build another MX board to put these on and try them. They’re just sitting in my cap bin, eyeing me.

1 Like

I went and bought this set before realizing it was a clone lmaoooo i feel like a dunce. but regardless they are honestly really solid keycaps for the price. I adore the dishy-ness of the caps and the fact that they aren’t nearly as tall as mt3/sa. I think this profile is a real winner and want to try PGA as well too after trying these. It’s really too bad that these guys make so many clone colorways, I’m seeing Godspeed, SA By the Sea, Lime, etc. Getting my hands on a real Rome/Sparta set would be nice, I love this colorway.

2 Likes

If you don’t need the 7u red spacebar I’d be happy to buy it from you :slight_smile:

Thank you

I haven’t found any keyboard pictures using this particular AF SA colorway. Do you have a picture of this set on a board?

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have not populated a full board with these keycaps yet. They are known as Kit 11 on this link:

I was waiting for a white keyboard, as I think they are going to be too drab on a transparent charcoal keyboard.

You can see basically how they would look on a white keyboard in the product photo:

I wish I could be of more help. Like you, I have not encountered photos of this set in use.

Ah okay. The image you posted looks like it is different than Kit 11. I actually have the set in the image you posted and I was not a big fan. Everything looked…drab. I think it had something to do with the puke green accents and legends. I’m guessing you had accidentally posted an image of the other green set because the pictures you had of showing keys 3 and 4 looks like a black cap with neon green legends.

Kit 11 - Is this the set you have?

1 Like

LOL, now I’m not even sure what I ordered!

Haha, but I have the order confirmation, and it was definitely Kit 11.

I remember it was the only green-ish one in-stock. Many of the others were too ‘mustard’ in colour [from MG Ember derivatives].*

I am doing some builds for relatives, so it might go on a prospective white keyboard or something. It’s also an interesting alternate set for my green IKKI68 Aurora.

Yeah, thanks for pointing out the discrepancy. I was away from my computer when I showed you the wrong catalog image of the set, wrongly-presenting the drab one as you said. The correct one is the brighter, neon-green Kit 11 that I purchased.

It would be an attractive set on the right board. Many of the AF SA sets seem optimal for white boards. I’ve become curious about their production process: it seems as if they have the same plastics being poured into 3 different molds [SA, MG, AF SA], maybe even Cherry-profile sets as well. Talk about economies of scale!

They are also re-using base colours across sets, like the gray-beige modifiers on this Kit 11. Or the orange accents in the chocolate / terminal sets. So they only need a limited number of colours to make all their sets.

I probably should have bought the orange terminal Skiidata set [Kit 12] for my smoky MK870.

*I thought Kit 11 would go with the smoky charcoal MK870, but even with the brighter green, it’s too drab in that combination. Also thought it might go on my FC900R, replace the MT3 keycaps, finally fit under my keyboard tray, but I think AF SA at its tallest is as tall at MT3. Even though it is less-tall on average.

Thank you for your reply. I managed to find a couple pictures of the original colorways in SA. (see below)

I had a couple of questions for the one you have. Is the base color for Kit 11 a true black or more of a charcoal gray? As per the modifiers, are they more beige than gray? Or are they pretty neutral? How would they compare to the original below?

1 Like

The actual colours of Kit 11: The base colour for the alphas is a kind of green-gray.

The modifiers are slightly more beige than they are gray, but it’s close.

The modifier legends are actually Brown. They even have the Brown double-shot plastic in the underside of the spacebar.

Compared with that SA set, the SA alphas base colour is darker and more black; again the AF SA is definitely more greenish in tint. And again, AF SA a little lighter in tone.

The SA modifiers are slightly more beige, but comparable. The AF SA is a little grayer.

The AF SA green is more neon.

Could you tell me what those original SA sets are?

1 Like