Polishing ABS Keycaps

Picking up the polish first thing in the morning and will be working on it tomorrow. Think I’m just going to hand polish and see how they turn out.

Interesting with the isopropyl - I do have some similarly scuffed keys. I know from my time in the signage industry that isopropyl is bad news for shiny acrylic, but using it this way with just a tiny amount that quickly evaporates with the buffing seems like a pretty good idea. I’m interested to know how the plastic does after a few months.

1 Like

rubbing compound, 10, 5, 2.5, 1 then .5 micron polishing paste

if they’re gonna shine, i’d rather it be on my terms

9 Likes

First cap polished after trying a few different techniques. I ended up needing to use the dremel with a cloth wheel and running at only a 2 on the rpm speed adjustment. What do you all think?

Edit: diamond polished and RSE not touched yet.

3 Likes

Here’s another… It’s kind of hard to capture the shine. Left is polished.

3 Likes

Edit : Bottom row done

2 Likes

Compliments that powder-coated case really well.

2 Likes

Very nice! Polished red all the way.

1 Like

So after getting a row done, I’ve gotten down a pretty good method:
I polish the face in all four directions, turning the keycap after polishing the face three times.
I do this four times, adding a little polish to the face in between each.
I finish the cap off by hand polishing in a thick microfiber cloth on all sides.
Pretty happy with the results so far, just wish it didn’t take so long :laughing:

2 Likes

Hopefully this comes through OK. Polishing finished. Looks much better and feels way more smooth.

4 Likes

You guys got me wanting to polish my SA Leviathan set :smiley:
Some keycaps are already shiny, so I might as well got an even shine on all of them…
Will use Dremel, just need to decide which polishing paste should I get (EU, probably over Amazon).

1 Like

Right? I think one of my MT3 Serika sets is next on the polishing block.

Yeee, I think the smooth surface of SA would give a greater result. :thinking:

1 Like

100% agree. The polished MT3 surface feels really smooth but it still does have a bit of a textured look. The smooth surface of SA polished would look crazy shiny.

1 Like

Shine makes it hard for me to read the legends.

I’d rather see some one come out with a low power bead / sand blaster, designed to restore the mat finish to keycaps.

2 Likes

Shiny SA reminded me of this…
HSA by JTK, shiny out of the box, always looked yummy to me.
Will try for brown extras, if it ever gets delivered :smiley:

1 Like

Same. But they are still working on the molds for this set. We’ll probably have to wait quite a while yet :frowning:

KAM Little Pilot is supposed to be shiny. Was supposed to be delivered in July but no estimate yet :sob:

1 Like

I might also try and polish my DSS Dolch set.
I might kinda like it, but it’s pretty rough (textured)…

2 Likes

Been wanting that set for my classic brown Filco for a hot minute now.

1 Like