Polishing ABS Keycaps

Here’s another… It’s kind of hard to capture the shine. Left is polished.

3 Likes

Edit : Bottom row done

2 Likes

Compliments that powder-coated case really well.

2 Likes

Very nice! Polished red all the way.

1 Like

So after getting a row done, I’ve gotten down a pretty good method:
I polish the face in all four directions, turning the keycap after polishing the face three times.
I do this four times, adding a little polish to the face in between each.
I finish the cap off by hand polishing in a thick microfiber cloth on all sides.
Pretty happy with the results so far, just wish it didn’t take so long :laughing:

2 Likes

Hopefully this comes through OK. Polishing finished. Looks much better and feels way more smooth.

4 Likes

You guys got me wanting to polish my SA Leviathan set :smiley:
Some keycaps are already shiny, so I might as well got an even shine on all of them…
Will use Dremel, just need to decide which polishing paste should I get (EU, probably over Amazon).

1 Like

Right? I think one of my MT3 Serika sets is next on the polishing block.

Yeee, I think the smooth surface of SA would give a greater result. :thinking:

1 Like

100% agree. The polished MT3 surface feels really smooth but it still does have a bit of a textured look. The smooth surface of SA polished would look crazy shiny.

1 Like

Shine makes it hard for me to read the legends.

I’d rather see some one come out with a low power bead / sand blaster, designed to restore the mat finish to keycaps.

2 Likes

Shiny SA reminded me of this…
HSA by JTK, shiny out of the box, always looked yummy to me.
Will try for brown extras, if it ever gets delivered :smiley:

1 Like

Same. But they are still working on the molds for this set. We’ll probably have to wait quite a while yet :frowning:

KAM Little Pilot is supposed to be shiny. Was supposed to be delivered in July but no estimate yet :sob:

1 Like

I might also try and polish my DSS Dolch set.
I might kinda like it, but it’s pretty rough (textured)…

2 Likes

Been wanting that set for my classic brown Filco for a hot minute now.

1 Like

My Leviathan set started shinning with little to no use in stark contrast to any GMK or JTK set that I own. I wonder if the coating used by Maxkey is subpar?

Someone on reddit shined his SA keyset using acetone vapors.

He placed the acetone in a glass, and the glass in a plate with hot water, then he hovered the keycaps through the acetone vapors.

Here is his full album

And his reddit thread

3 Likes

Well that looks easy. :thinking:

I gave it a try and I guess I had it to long in the vapor cuz I got some bubble. :grimacing:

3 Likes