Post your Topre boards

Keeping my room dim so that I can’t see the fingerprint.

20 Likes

22 Likes

What version of the FC660C is that with a split? spacebar?

Just a normal FC660C but moded. Cut plate and fit Kailh choc v2 switch + custom controller.

3 Likes

Brought the pro 2 back out

7 Likes

Avoiding a double post :smiley:

12 Likes

Happy Topre Tuesday

11 Likes

These are gorgeous. You’ve truly outdone yourself with the progress you’ve made on this project of yours. Great work!

3 Likes

If any build deserves a double posting it’s this one!

5 Likes

I’ve finished @sircheddar’s KikiFC660c! I mean it’s mine, but he came up with the case.

Anyway.

I had it Cerakoted in Midnight Bronze and the color is great. I really wanted a board in a warm brown and this nailed it. The FC660c I’m using is used as I couldn’t get a new one so the keys are a little scuffed, but overall it was in really good shape.

Internally I’m using @Dave’s daughterboard which is great to use, has USB-C, and programs with great ease using VIAL or VIA… or QMK if you’re a sadist. Underneath that board is some sound deadening sheet with kapton tape covering the aluminum coating to prevent any unintended shorts.

I painted the switch plate in copper to go with the case color, but I know wish I’d have stuck with my original plan to use black. I may go back and repaint. That remains to be seen.

There’s a few DES MX sliders along with some green domes for the space, print screen, and delete key. And a black dome for the Escape key.

And because it’s super easy to do, I replace the Caps Lock indicator with an Orange LED. I’m also an advocate for Home Row Control.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, but I was excited to share.

16 Likes

Were you happy with the coat job and turnaround? If so do you recommend?

Oh yeah, they did it in a week. Although they’d quoted me 2-3 weeks. Their price is competitive with others that I’ve seen as well, but it’s definitely an indulgence. This cost $150 and they had the color on hand so I didn’t pay any upcharge beyond that. They’re also local so that avoids any shipping and handling.

It’s more sensible just to buy a board in a color you like. This lesson has been difficult for me to learn. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This turned out fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Which one are you taking with you?

14 Likes

My 660 trifecta is complete. <Insert starter Pokemon reference>

Top to bottom:

• Sho66 prototype
  • Ingot66
  • Heavy-6

22 Likes

My latest, a Live Oak from right here in Austin, Texas, care of ATXKB. I was able to do local pickup a few days ago so I’ve had it built it up since Monday evening. Lovely board.

The Bussytown mat, updated Bird Electron wrist rests, and new-style printed Snow keytops also showed up over the weekend. It’s been a good few days.

13 Likes

That ingot is gorgeous.

1 Like

Lovely case, sir. I didn’t know anything about the Live Oak. Was interesting to see all of the prototypes for the plate.

1 Like

It’s such a solid kit, top to bottom. The POM housing plate is so pleasant to work with, requiring zero cleanup or time with a file and scraper, and the design for how the top and bottom plates come together to perfectly encapsulate the housing plate is ingenious and functional. Way easier to install and align than the other aftermarket HHKB housing I’ve worked with.

I will say that the feel of it is a bit “stiffer” than my Heavy Grails, I expect because of the additional material in the milled POM plate vs the multifaceted underside cutouts permitted by Norbauer’s injection molding manufacturing technique. I love them both, but that and the sound (due to the extreme lack of extra space in the Live Oak) are the main differences immediately noticed.

I hear they’re planning to run at least two more raffles down the road, so keep an eye on their website or their discord (linked from the website): https://www.atxkb.com

3 Likes

How are you liking the new Snow printed keycaps?