Post your Topre boards

Do you have a video of you typing with the Sho66 case? I’m very interested in getting one, but I’m not sure I want to go with white (which is my dream combo: a white thick case with some black/dark keycaps) or the polycarb (which I’m sure I’ll be inspired by some day…) because I have the bluetooth daughterboard.

Or maybe I should just get both and sell the one I don’t use… but I don’t know…

1 Like

I don’t have a video; I can look at recording on later, but all I have is my shitty phone camera. :sweat_smile:

The build is great. Only complaint I have with my unit is the top and bottom fit together so tight it feels near impossible to get apart.

1 Like

Phone cam is great. Please share when you do :smile:

Heavy-6 Urbi et Orbi edition

10 Likes

Recently took a family photo of my HHKB layout keyboards. Six of these aren’t Topre, but I figured enough were to make up the difference:

25 Likes

Heavy-6 Urbi et Orbi edition - 660c OEM silent with Hi-Pro resin keycaps by @KeySculptNerd

16 Likes

Lovely colors.

2 Likes

Wow, what a display! Which HHKB setup is your favorite / gets the most use?

1 Like

Tough question as my preferences are fickle and ever-changing (only constant is the HHKB layout), and I spend many days with multiple boards on the desk at the same time. Here are my most-used two, based on very different use cases:

The pink anodized ATXKB Live Oak (third column, bottom board) is probably my most-used board currently, as I’ve recently combined my home desks and it’s now connected to three computers (work, gaming, lab environment). It’s housing a Pro3 with RO-59’d OEM sliders, #3 Des silicone silencing rings, and 49g carrot domes, and uses the newly released center-printed snow keytops. This one stays home, but is the main driver for my remote workday (I have another Hybrid Type-S, not pictured, at the office), and any other typing I do at my primary home desk.

The board that spends the most time with me is the fourth column, top board. It’s a 25th anniversary Japanese-release blank ANSI Snow Hybrid Type-S with the 25th anniversary blank keytops, kitted with RO-59’d sliders, Des #5 silicone silencing rings, 35g carrot domes, and a Bird anti-vibration mat. It spends most of its life in my sling bag that I take everywhere with me, and has travelled thousands of miles by bicycle, and orders of magnitude more by car or plane. Often seen silently thoccing at coffee shops and bars, paired to a Lenovo tablet.

Okay, three. If I had to grab ONE board to run out of a burning house with, it’d probably be the Veracity Steel Heavy Grail (third column, fourth down) built on a Hybrid Type-S with RO-59’d Type-S sliders, #5 Des silicone rings, 30g OEM domes (harvested from a Leopold 980c), and Idea23 resin marble-patterned HiPro keytops. Because it’s just gorgeous, and a singularly unique pleasure to type on.

6 Likes

If you grabbed the Veracity Steel you’d have to walk out of the house instead of run :grinning:

3 Likes

And now, finally the Heavy Grail case.

11 Likes

Too impaitent for my Sunset Blvd. HG to come in so I painted a classic case.

20 Likes

Got a whole lotta Topre going on here.

FC660C + Raita EC

17 Likes

You’re really burying the lede here by not mentioning the keycaps.

5 Likes

Fair. :grin:

URSA Minor, Fox Noir; by the estimable @Andreas

Wallace

2 Likes

I’ve waited for this one for going on a year and two months, but it finally arrived this afternoon. Ghost of Christmas Future Heavy Grail with the clear PC plate. The innards are from a 2020 HHKB Professional Hybrid Type-S, though I built it with Des sliders so I could use MX mounted MT3 keycaps, Susuwatari in this case:

One fun part about converting Topre to MX is having to drill the plate/slider housings to accommodate the additional stablizing posts on the larger MX keycaps. This also illustrates the updated Des 2u sliders, which no longer exhibit the binding issues the first run did:

One other thing of note is that I’m using original BKE domes out of an old Sony BKE-2010, the dome that launched a dozen clones. They’re poppy, that’s for sure. #5 silicone silencing rings from Des round out the build. I’m loving this keyboard right now. It looks good on my desk, and it sounds great.

13 Likes

Meet Nekopad.