Post Your Typing Sounds!

Recently uploaded a few more video’s on my channel :slight_smile: Link will bring you to the playlist.

5 Likes

It’d be nice if people shared audio recording tips and tricks. My recordings don’t sound anything like what I hear in person and there is this humming background sound. I tried to use Audacity to clean them up but got lost in its crazy UI maze. Maybe what I need is Audio Hijack Pro. I’ve been holding off getting one thinking I could just write a filter but have not yet had the time.

I don’t know if my recordings are any good but I use a condenser mic > Focusrite Scarlett > Logic Pro. I place the mic about 16 inches from the keyboard right above it and set the volume to just about peaking when snapping my fingers just above my keyboard. I don’t do any post-processing although I should maybe look at noise reduction techniques. I just fear I would remove some of the nuances of the switches by doing any post-processing without really knowing what I’m doing.

1 Like

Iris V3 with DSA Alchemy on BOX Novelia switches.
Copper plate, walnut case, acrylic bottom plate.

1 Like

My recordings are literally just my iPhone X on a stand, nothing more. Uploaded straight from my phone to Youtube. I don’t upload to have the best sounding or best looking typing video’s, I upload just to share my builds when people ask about them.

2 Likes

First attempt at something like this. Shot on phone, where it sounded louder, it’s pretty low in the video though, had to turn up all my volumes to max.

2 Likes

Dead silent, great job bud!

1 Like

Tons of improvements could be made, but it’s cool, thanks for the support :sunglasses:

1 Like

IMO sound correction is more difficult than color correction because human color sense is more objective than sound sense, meaning we respond more strongly to sound than to colors.

2 Likes

Just seemed odd how much of a difference there was listening to it on my phone (was too loud) compared to on pc with speakers (was too low). I’ll eventually try to make a better one :slight_smile:

2 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Finally got a sound test of the Corne with the 3d printed case and top plate. I installed sound mat between the pcb and case. The switches consists of Outemu Sky v2.2 housings, NK Cream stems, 45g Sprit springs, and Tribosis 3204 lube. I call them Skyream switches. This was recorded on my iPhone 11 Pro. Tell me what you think :beers:

2 Likes

Now with less ping!

9 Likes

That’s some satisfying thock

4 Likes

Am I late to the party? Sorry for vertical video, it’s hard to film with the smartphone while typing.

1 Like

Copypasta from an older post:

Hey, folks! Here’s a somewhat quick-and-dirty comparison between a few silent switches, because that’s what I felt like doing with my evening.

I recorded all of these some time ago on my kitchen table with an old iPhone, a foot or two away from the keebs sitting on a folded hand towel:

Cherry Silent Blacks (KBParadise V80)

• Cherry profile thick PBT caps, lubed but crappy Costar knockoff stabs. Steel mounting plate with plastic case.
  • Notice the almost metallic rattly sound. These switches feel sandy and mushy at the same time, pretty unpleasant and not worth the price IMO.

Gateron Silent Blacks (GMMK Fullsize)

• OEM profile pudding caps, lubed clear plate-mount stabs. Thin aluminum mounting plate / upper shell.
  • These have a dry, “plocky” sound and feel much more smooth and crisp than their heavier, crunchier Cherry counterparts. Still some slight texture in the key travel, but it’s minimal. Low-key one of my favorite switches considering the modest price.

Gateron Silent Browns (Durgod Hades 68)

• Cherry profile GMK caps, factory-lubed stabs, band-aid modded. Thick aluminum mounting plate and case. These have a dry, metallic, “snickity” sound, and are easily the loudest “silent” switches I’ve tried so far, though much less so than un-silenced switches of any kind. [Edit: I think at least some of the “snickity” sound is coming from Cherry caps mounted on north-facing switches, which lightly strike the housing.]
  • I think the contact leaves against the stems are where most of that noise is coming from. They’re alright, and juuuust quiet enough for the workplace - but they feel a bit un-refined next to their linear cousins. (Excuse the background A/C and awkward typing on this one, for some reason.)

“Tactile Gazzewlos” (Massdrop CTRL)

• [Outemu] silent tactile stems (v2 or 2.2, can’t remember) in Halo housings, no lube other than what might be left over in the housing from the factory. OEM profile Ducky PBT caps. Lubed GMK / Cherry plate-mount stabs. Medium thickness aluminum plate / top shell.
  • Fairly quiet and more tactile than the Gat browns, but far less crisp and a bit wobbly. Even the sound has a “floppy” quality to it, as if I’m wearing oversized fat rubber gloves. These sound and feel a bit like rubber domes, minus having to bottom them out to register a key press.

“Silent Silver Sky Pandas” (Massdrop CTRL)

• The actual reason I made this post, [Outemu] silent linear stems (v2 or 2.2, can’t remember) in YOK Trash Panda housings, lubed with Gazzew’s “#2 blend” grease. OEM profile Ducky PBT caps. Lubed GMK / Cherry plate-mount stabs.
  • Extremely quiet - more-so by a long-shot than any silent I’ve tried so far, and I’ve tried almost all of them except for the new Silent Inks. (Next in line would be Aliaz switches, but they’re kind of “meh” IMO.)

All these were recorded under very similar conditions, and I’m hammering on the keys with enthusiasm for good measure.

1 Like

Board: Rama U-80A With Internal Weight
Color: Port
Plate Material: Brass
Switches: Pinoko V2 (Lubed with 205g0, Deskeys Filmed, 65g)
Keycaps: SA Olivia
Stabilizers: C3 Olivia Stabs (Band Aid Modded and lubed with Dielectric Grease and 205g0)
Deskmat: Rama Works Canvas 2 XL

7 Likes

Oooo…This is really good! So thockkky! Thanks for the vid!