Post Your Typing Sounds!

This makes me want to go back to SA

Testing out my new recorder; gain might be a little too high here but I got loads more detail than with my phoneā€¦ not exactly formal typing tests but feedback is welcome as I do intend to be doing those at some point.

Anne Pro 2 - Stock Caps - Kailh Box Browns

Reference for a common stock 60%; un-modded and a little rattly but a solid budget performer.

GK61s - MDA Big Bone - Ninja Turtles (C3 Kiwis w/ Gazzew silent linear stems)

Commission entry-level custom build for a bud featuring ninja-silent Gazzew linear stems (the same ones from the quiet Panda linears I linked above).

Modded stabs, filmed switches with bag-lubed springs.

I have to say the stems work a lot better in these Kiwi housings than they did either in the Panda or Halo housings IMO; a bit less wobble and just a touch more snappiness in comparison.

The loudest sound in this one is actually my thumb brushing sideways against the space bar as I type until I tap it loudly at the end.

GK61x - TaiHao Double-shot ABS - Silent Box Browns

I snapped extra-loudly for this one. Oops.

Stock stabs, un-tuned switches.

I plan to use these GK61x boards for sound recordings in the future since theyā€™re 5-pin hot-swap and an easy-to-find, inexpensive reference.

GK61x - Ducky Pudding OEM PBT - Unholy Pandas (with Halo True springs)

Derpy double-snap.

I put these together because I had the parts, but I didnā€™t expect to like them as much as I do. Not my most accurate switch, but my average speed is faster than usual with these progressive springs.

Modded stabs, filmed switches with bag-lubed springs.

2 Likes

Itā€™s been a while, but time to revive this thread!
Prophet with nylon half plate, Gateron Silent Inks, and Everglide Stabilizers. This is one flexy boi!

7 Likes

Keyboard: NK65 Aluminum E-White - Typing Sounds
OA Switches: Deskeys Film, Krytox 205g0 Lubed Stems and Housing, Krytox 105 Oil Bag Lubed stock Springs.
Plate Mount Stabs lubed with Krytox 205g0
Keycaps: Novelkeys Cherry PBT BoW

3 Likes

dang I loved the opportunity to scroll through this thread and see how the sound in the community has evolved over a couple of years now, Iā€™ll just add my piece and go.

2 Likes

Used some EPOM foam to fill the space behind the pcb.

3 Likes

Shared this elsewhere but Iā€™ll share it here too. Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

• Preonic Rev3
  • Frankenswitch: Gat milky housing, 415keys PE+ stems, 78g Progressive springs, 3204 lubed all around, including stems.
3 Likes

I did a handful of test recordings with my H1n on the mic stand this evening.

I have the recorder a few inches above and towards the front of the board, itself sitting on a deskmat with some memory foam a few feet behind it.

Starting with my worst board that I still have a soft spot for:

EasternTimes Tech I-500

• Jixian Blues
  • ABS OEM
  • Generic plate-mount stabs
  • Thick aluminum plate, outboard
  • Tray mounted to plastic bottom
  • Flip-out feet

Same model as my first mech. Loud and crunchy, but also very solid.

Ducky One TKL

• Cherry MX Blues
  • ABS Tai-Hao
  • Stock plate-mount stabs
  • Steel(?) plate
  • Tray-mounted to plastic case
  • Flip-out feet

Slightly less loud and harsh, feels better to type on, but lacks solidness.

Filco Majestouch 2 TKL

• Cherry MX Browns
  • ABS SA
  • Costar stabs
  • Steel plate
  • Flip-out feet

Felt and sounded better with the stock caps, but looks great with these.

Hexgears Impulse

• Kailh Box Browns
  • PBT Cherry
  • Generic plate-mount stabs
  • Aluminum plate w/ vinyl wrap
  • Modular foam between PCB & plate
  • Foam strips below PCB
  • Flip-out feet

Commissioned by a friend. Sounded truly dreadful out of the box - trust me, itā€™s come a long way.

Rakk Lam-Ang Pro

• Kailh Silent Box Browns
  • PBT OEM
  • Cherry plate-mount stabs
  • Bandaid modded & lubed
  • Steel plate
  • Flip-out feet

The workhorse I most often take with me into the dusty realm of printing presses.

GK61x

• TTC Bluish Whites
  • PBT OSA
  • Cherry plate-mount stabs
  • Bandaid modded & lubed
  • Aftermarket aluminum plate
  • Cheap foam beneath PCB
  • Rubber foot pads

My faithful switch tester.

NK65EE

• Gateron Caps
  • ABS MT3
  • Cherry plate-mount stabs (not stock)
  • Aluminum plate
  • Top / Tray mount*
  • Silicone below PCB
  • Heavy plastic case with rubber strip feet

Satisfyingly heavy, nice to look at, and strong performance for the price.

*Novelkeys calls it ā€œmodified top-mountā€ which to me looks more like ā€œtray-mount but also screwed to the topā€ - so, yeah.

KBD67L

• Gateron Ink Kangaroos
  • ABS MT3
  • Cherry screw-in stabs (stock)
  • Polycarb plate
  • Silicone gasket mount
  • Same silicone between PCB & plate
  • Thin foam below
  • Light plastic case with bump-on feet

Currently my favorite keyboard, and my pick for best entry-point into the enthusiast realm - albeit with more and more good company as time goes on.

Iā€™m still dialing-in the recording setup and am a total noob in this department - so if anyone has audio advice, Iā€™m all ears! They sound clear to me, but on the harsh side compared to how I hear the keyboards directly - too much gain?

10 Likes

Iā€™ve tried my amateurish hand at doing some sound tests as well, so there they are

Rama M60-A SEQ2

• C3 Tangerine V2ā€™s Lubed with 205g0 and filmed with Deskeys
  • C3 Stabs lubed with 205g0
  • GMK WoB
  • Rama W02-A Internal Dampener

Geonworks Freq1-8X

• 1994 Vintage Cherry Blacks Lubed with 205g0
  • 55g SPRIT Slow Extreme IIā€™s Lubed with 1514
  • Durock V2 Stabs lubed with 205g0
  • GMK Olivia++ Light
6 Likes

Few typing tests I did today for a couple of switches. All of these are in the foamed Drop CTRL from this post. I, personally, like using this lightly-helped nightmare board for figuring out if I really like a switchā€™s sound profile, precisely because it is a garbage board that offers no switch any amount of cover for its mistakes.

Theyā€™re all recorded with the mic in the same position and the same keycaps (GMK First Love) on the board. Apologies for the background noise (I live on a busy street and unfortunately do not have the bestā€”or any, for that matterā€”soundproofing).

Zandas

• YOK Mint Panda housing
  • Zealio V2 stems
  • 62g Thic Thock DL springs
  • Tribosys 3203

Mostly I wanted to give yā€™all a baseline for what a panda-housed tactile sounds like on this board for context on the next two.

Parallel Limited Pewter

• Completely stock

I find JWKā€™s PC-top Nylon-bottom housings to be quite clacky and loud; I think the PC top ends up creating a lot more topping-out sound than I tend to prefer in a switch. These might become a bit more subdued if I filmed them and undid the enormously-generous factory lubing to relube them, but Iā€™m not enough of a fan of light tactiles to put that kind of work into these.

As a note, I received a batch of this last switch from the vendorā€”Mode Designsā€”for free ahead of its release a few days ago. I am not in any way being paid to promote them or their switch, and have no other relationship with their business; I just collect and write about switches.

MODE Signal

• Completely stock

These have an enormously similar sound profile to the Pewters, being the same JWK PC-top Nylon-bottom housing material, but overall sound more consistent to me. The switches themselves definitely seem to have a more-consistent application of factory lube to them, which could be the culprit here.

4 Likes

My two latest videos on my channel - a 2021 Unicomp Mini M prototype and a 1987 IBM SSK. Basically, the newest and (as near as makes no difference) oldest Model M TKL!

7 Likes

KBD75 with Brass Plate
Gazzew U4T ā€œThockyā€ Switches

• Krytox 205g0 on Stem and Housing
  • Krytox 105 bag-lubed Thicthock 64g Progressive springs
    Novelkeys WoB

Iā€™m really looking forward to trying these switches on different plate materials and how they will feel and sound. These switches are absolutely great. I donā€™t really like the stock springs and these progressive springs just happen to be what I had available. I have TX Long Springs now which I will try too.
Iā€™ll probably be grabbing a KBD67 Lite and looking forward to trying these switches in that in a couple months too =D.

2 Likes

Wow that sounds great. Canā€™t find these switches anywhere but aliexpress, 10 for 10 which seems pretty overpriced.

You could try ordering directly from Gazzew on reddit too. /u/hbheroinbob

I recently ordered some U4T stems from them to put in other housings, though you can buy the full switch too probably. I think 3DKeebs is gonna drop more on their store, which is where I bought my first bag of U4T.

3 Likes
9 Likes

hello. I wanted to try out gateron cap gold. i am not sure if i break-in the switches. they still a bit scratchy. please give me feed back about the sound test.

I hope you like the vid :smile:.

6 Likes

Specs?

FFF switches then Boba U4 then Silent Alpacas on GMK and SA. Should have added little captions to the video. Next time!

2 Likes

A kind dude on Discord sent me a couple similar switches I havenā€™t tried before but would like to put in a build. I wanted to determine for myself which switch was lower pitched; the Gat Black Ink or Durock Lavender. Both were lubed with 205g0 and filmed with deskeys films. I think the recording makes it fairly obvious who won. First switch sound is the Ink, second is the Lav, and so on. 20 taps each, 10, etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k3CnnvZz3lzXnhV6de8Rw1itmaRZitu9/view?usp=sharing

4 Likes

• Moyu Blacks / Dark Jades
  • KBD67L
  • GMK caps

Re-assembled this keeb with some different switches and caps last night, and decided to take a ā€œreal worldā€ sound test at work.

Previously I had Ink Kangaroos and ABS MT3 caps on this board, which made for a super deep, thocky sound. With the much shorter caps and harder PBT switch housings, the sound has gone from a low thock to a medium-high clack (and it feels fantastic).

This does make me want to do some more recordings with these Moyus in different keebs; so far, these are easily the highest-pitch long-pole switches Iā€™ve used, and I do think itā€™s pretty much all down to that housing.

Quick edit: As a side note; like all long pole switches, these introduce ā€œteeter-totterā€ on stabilized keys. To keep them level and stable, each side of each stab got five washers.

5 Likes