Salvation 60% from wilba.tech / Salvun

OK, thanks for your opinion.
I’m going to think about it for a little while, I have a week for the Fjell and more than a month for the Salvation. I know for a fact that the Salvation costs less so that will also be a big factor when buying.

1 Like

Not 100% sure yet, but leaning towards the blue cause it’ll match the SGI caps & Tai-Hao Tomcat ALPS caps pretty good. I’m planning on having an ALPS build live in my Salvation!

1 Like

Deciding between blue or red. If I end up choosing red, then I’d likely pair it with the Maxkey Berserk

2 Likes

Can I please get some more replies if it’s not a problem, I just want to see some feedback so that I don’t buy a board I end up not wanting.

1 Like

Hey - welcome to KeebTalk!

I considered joining both group buys this month as well, and I think I’m going to go with the Salvation. The Fjell may be a tried and true formula, but it’s still a relatively old design. The Salvation, on the other hand, offers something that hasn’t really been seen before in the hobby.

New stuff, from reputable designers and manufacturers, is usually worth a shot.

If you do end up going with the Salvation and not liking it, you should be able to pretty easily break even. It has never been run before, and there will definitely be people who want to try it when it ships in Q4 2021.

3 Likes

Thanks for your opinion.

No prob! What keyboard are you using at the moment?

I just got into the whole mechanical keyboard thing so at the moment I’m just using discount logitech board :smile: But I want to upgrade my current setup.

Cool! I would recommend picking up something with hotswap around the $100 price point that’s ready to ship (KBD67 Lite for example).

You can try out various switches/keycaps on this, join a group buy like the Salvation, and then transfer your switches/keycaps over once that fulfills in 6-7 months. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much on the recommendation. I was thinking about getting the blue Salvation with the GMK Striker (doesn’t the salvation have hotswap?)

Actually ended up grabbing Soul Black. I was tempted by the blue & gray. Ultimately I went with black to match my Thermal+!

I’m sure you would be more than happy with that combo. Just make sure you pull the trigger on Striker before the GB ends today (just in case you weren’t aware). Also of note, you will probably be waiting a few months between getting the keyboard and when the keyset ships, so you may want to pick up an in stock set between now and when the boards are done (lots of inexpensive PBT options these days).

Figured I’d offer my thinking in case you’re still looking for opinions, since I’ve also been debating between the Fjell or Salvation. I’m leaning Salvation for a few reason. Like other have said, the Fjell is tried and true and has a good reputation. That said it is a fairly simple design and to me seems more or less like a “classed up” version of a Tofu case. Not a criticism… just not something I am really looking for right now. On the other hand the Salvation seems like it has a few novel design features and imo a more interesting look. The Salvation price point is also a bit more forgiving and the wider group buy window makes it easier to work into my budget. Also, since the Fjell has run before I would imagine it will run again, so if I do really feel like I missed out I think it’ll still be possible to pick up in the future.

In terms of color I’m leaning towards red for the Salvation since most of my boards are neutral or cool colors, feels like time to get something a bit flashier, though idk what caps I’d use on it.

2 Likes

Tofu is more like a knockoff of the klippe, the klippe and fjell came first actually

this is a great point im actually surprised has not been brought up yet, I would be willing to bet they definitely will

2 Likes

Thank you! Helped a lot.

Am I wrong in thinking this board would be best with solderable pcb to get all the benifts of the weird flex pcb?

2 Likes

I’m considering also weirdflex + millmax as I think that the millmax doesn’t stick out that much.
To be confirmed.

That would be my guess. We don’t know how much the weirdflex PCB is contributing to the soft/flexy experience overall since all the available build streams never used a different PCB. With only two mounting points and the leaf springs, you would think that PCB’s without flex cuts would still benefit, but we don’t yet know to what degree. Plus, without the PCB being secured to the plate in any way, and how the board is built around flex, I wonder if hotswap isn’t the best choice long-term regardless. Not that it’s free or anything, but you can buy an extra hotswap PCB and plate to test it out if the budget allows (throw it in another 60% case if not).

I would guess the pcb flex would not contribute to the soft experience … unless you do a plateless build like Alexotos did not too long ago on its stream.

1 Like

Can confirm, weirdflex PCB on a full plate pretty much totally negates the flex the flex cuts give. If you use a really soft plate material like polycarb it will flex slightly more than a PCB without flexcuts, but nothing very noticeable unless you are specifically looking for it. IME Wilb’a’s weirdflex WT60-D weirdflex PCBs are best used with plateless or half plate setups.

3 Likes