The Norbazaar event: rare, weird, and random Topre aftermarket housings

Any chance Retro Refrigerator Heavy Grail will be part of this sale? I understand it’s a special finish that wasn’t offered publicly.

Any chance we can get a teaser? Or hint to the color?

unnamed (1)
Here’s the teaser for the new powder coat color, it’s called Periwinkle and I’m definitely going to get one :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hey Ryan! Just picked one up myself. Can’t wait for it!

Quick question, you mentioned this is a first for Norbauer but I saw a build with an Aperture H-9 as well posted in May.

Video here.

Was this a custom / once-off?

1 Like

I think it was from the same batch. We must just have sold that one privately for some reason (perhaps replacement for another shortfall or someone just emailed and asked if we had any spare H9 units). We have been sitting on these for a long time because I wanted to photograph the finish before listing them, which I only just recently got around to.

1 Like

No worries and thanks for replying! :blush:

Looks like all the Norbaforces and everything in Aperture finish are now gone. Eager to see what else will pop up during the event. Been fun seeing the different offerings.

Newest Listing:
Heavy Grail Pro 3 in Sunset Blvd. B-stock (very good, nearly A-stock). White switch plate.

1 Like

Yes, the Sunset Blvd b-stocks are up now.

I’ve also added switch plate info to all the Grail listings. It turns out that we’re using Norbauer Pink plates on most of those, since those are the ones we have enough of for sure. (The exception being thtat Sunset Blvd housings get white switch plates, since they’re intentionally different shades of pink and I don’t like them to look like a failed attempt at a color match.) In a month or two we should have extra stock of additional switch plate colors, which I can and will offer at a clearance price at that time. This should hopefully include some white, black, and clear for anyone who wants to supplement or prefers a non-pink color. But bear in mind that the switch plate color is pretty subtle and not very visible once the board is assembled, so it’s probably not a big deal either way.

5 Likes

Will there be any retro refrigerator drops for the HG / H-9?

I don’t think we have anything in RR, unfortunately, even b-stocks. That finish has an insanely high reject rate, and we have tended just to get those parts reworked into different more reliable colors.

3 Likes

Bought the F Stock Aperture. Might just sand down the powder coat to make it useable or have it stripped down and powder coated. I’m waiting now for the last Norbaforces if there are any :slight_smile:

May I ask how many H-9 matte RRs were in stock for lot 4 of norbazaar? I came across the Instagram post 2 days ago and immediately headed to the norbazaar but the matte RRs were already sold out by then :sob:

1 Like

I’m sorry to say that there was just the one.

For whatever it’s worth, once the Norbazaar is complete, we’ll open up bespoke orders in custom finishes again—and Matte Retro will be on the menu.

7 Likes

Okay, that weirdly makes me feel better that it was only one so suuuuper hard to buy haha. I am scared to ask how much bespoke orders would cost since you mentioned the failure rate being so high with the retros. I’ll just be quietly saving my money haha. Thank you!

1 Like

It’s actually not so bad with matte retro but still worse than, say, K2. It’s the gloss retro that is nearly impossible to get flawless. We haven’t figured out pricing yet, but I’m trying to try to come up with some middle-ground between our in-stock large-batch projects and our current $2k (IIRC) minimum for bespoke. I might, for example, try to keep a handful of each design in stock in raw machined aluminum ready for a bespoke powder coat as needed, which might help control costs and lead time compared to doing true one-offs. Still need to work out the logistics though.

5 Likes

Dang I picked a bad week to be at a work conference. Are there going to be any more Norbaforces or have you exhausted your stock of those?

He said earlier there will be some b-stocks.

1 Like

Oof, unsurprisingly, everything is sold out. I just hope I’m around for the next HG drops…

1 Like

Both the anodized finishes of the Heavy Grail are still available.