Things that make us go... hmmm

This has to be one of the oddest assortment of novelties ever. I know this is supposed to be like GMK Rudy, despite being named like it should be a rip off of GMK Denim… But those novelties make no sense.

I guess Route 66 and blue jeans are loosely associated. But the Canadian maple leaf? Did someone in China think that was pot? Smoking some sweet maple, man.

https://kbdfans.com/products/pga-jeans?id=09mfie

3 Likes

Looks to me like there is a lot of throw-back to the 60’s/70’s rebel / biker culture: peace sign, skull, jeans pocket, etc. But yeah, the Maple leaf is weird, and the barcode one is strange…and the most confusing of them all (to me at least) is the “sale” button – who associates consumerism with 60’s hippies?

2 Likes

Probaby a reference to the Canadian Tuxedo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh *&^#… I haven’t heard that phrase in decades!

1 Like

The icons on pretty random but the more I look at them they seem to make sense. Similar to what people said above.

Here was my trail of thought

• Oh! It is like Easy Rider type stuff.

• Alright Alright Alright…

• Wait… that was Dazed and Confused…

• Did he where blue jeans? That would be a good icon…

• Wrong scene

• What is the one where “they stay the same age…”

• Dazed and Confused would make a great keyset…

3 Likes

Hey, stay real y’all.

3 Likes

Ummm…

1 Like

I keep waiting for this set to become available again.

1 Like

2 Likes

I was thinking about that! It is so close… I just don’t dig the brown. I would almost prefer that cream off-white from the PGA instead, but that might clash :confounded:

Forget the novelties they probably just threw random things they found trendy, here’s their explanation:

Inspiration: Levi Strauss… …Hollywood Pictures and rock and roll music became mainstream in the 60s, and 70s… …The Novelties… …use for reference of the Jean’s pocket, brand and “skull” symbols from rock and roll. Taking the colors that are common in jeans and tweaking the color palette of the color wheel to show what we want to display

That colorway doesn’t feel like jeans or Levies at all to me.

1 Like

Didn’t someone make a denim board? Or was that just a render…:face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

This might be my favorite “hmm” yet.

Something about one culture doing its best to interpret another and not quite hitting the mark tickles my fancy. Japanese pop-idols singing the occasional English phrase with a heavy accent, American rednecks with " " across the top of their Chevy Cavalier windshields, and now Chinese keycap designers rambling about Levi Strauss, Route 66, and Hollywood (while including Canadian national iconography).

• BACON!
  • HOT RODS!
  • GUNS!
  • CAPITALISM!
  • STEAK!
  • FOOTBALL!
  • …poutine?

It also reminds me of a film I saw in art school ages ago - the only thing about it I remember is a pair of Japanese 20-somethings, staying in an American hotel, doing their very best to emulate the greaser aesthetic from the 1950’s, right down to the guy dramatically flicking his Zippo to light his lady’s cigarette, as she drags it holding herself with the energy of a runway model.

Going a bit further, it brings to mind the entire umbrella-genre of Vaporwave; signifiers from the past, displayed through distant interpretations and foggy memories, and a striking aesthetic that may or may not carry with it any meaning associated with its inspiring source material.

4 Likes

Oh yes. Great memory.

3 Likes

Yasss that’s the one. What a great project!

2 Likes

Umm - how is this a “Security Essential”?

2 Likes

SA Tatooine and SA Recall might be good candidates as well:

3 Likes

I’m a child but this typo on the Invokeys Matcha B-stock page got me.

10 Likes

Is there somewhere we can sign up to watch the “removing or spreading” action here?

4 Likes

3 Likes